• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Pet tanking (1 Viewer)

RedCents
67¢
Seems to me I find a lot of people making caster groups with real tanks. Are real tanks just easier to control or that much better? Don't you lose out on a casters synergy?
I was thinking nerco/mage/enchanter/wizard/bard/druid.

I heard druid boost spell damage.

You will reach a point where you need a real tank. I don't care if you roll a Pally like me, an SK like the rest of the world or a warrior to be sentimental. Roll the damned tank. It's a must.

Seems to me I find a lot of people making caster groups with real tanks. Are real tanks just easier to control or that much better? Don't you lose out on a casters synergy?
I was thinking nerco/mage/enchanter/wizard/bard/druid.

I heard druid boost spell damage.
you just dont get a lot of control with a pet tank that you do with a real tank that you're driving.

there's plenty of content yo can do pet tanking - but you'll likely run into roadblocks or humps - and once you use a #RealTank you'll wonder why you didnt sooner - and I pet tanked for a long time

with the current tools people are using for automation, its often much easier to just have a real tank, and there is no much synergy you lose from having a tank

Hows paladin at end game now? Im a pet tanker! Paladins got any decent AE agro now or is SK still king?
tanks are tanks are tanks.. any one of them with decent AA's, and decent gear will spank a pet tank, and be able to do all content. The real diff is, SK's have a total of 73k (or so) AA's, and war have like 17... pally falls in the middle. Your War tank will be in AA sweet spot before PAL/SK tank, but the knights (in group) can do more cool tanky+ things.

currently im levelling a bunch of alts - if im pulling like 5-10 (say in FM, or Droga or something) is my paladin gonna be able to pick em up all easily enough nowadays so my lowbies dont get stomped? Doing this with a necro pet also is a pain lol

currently im levelling a bunch of alts - if im pulling like 5-10 (say in FM, or Droga or something) is my paladin gonna be able to pick em up all easily enough nowadays so my lowbies dont get stomped? Doing this with a necro pet also is a pain lol
Knights have better AOE agro/threat then war (generally) so yes, a pal would work fine.. plus bonus rez~

I don't understand this trend of trying to do content with out tanks. Again can it work.. sure is it a good idea... no. For the same reason you wouldn't want a bst as your only healer

the problem with control and limitations come into play here

pet tanking from a pure "can pet tank xyz mob" is pretty easy "yes".
pet tanking from a "make sure to do xyz exactly when i need it to" is a "meh, not really".
when you start getting into lots of adds (with no CC), or mechanics that require aoe stuff or more than just a pile of rocks --- you're gonna start having a rougher time.

I used to pet tank for a looooong time.

Then I hit content where my pet just folded so I rolled a tank. It took some time to AA him, farm gear and augs. Once the tank was ready for action and I tried the same stuff where my pet failed, I was like .... wtf, why nobody told me earlier to make a sk???

Last edited:

Then I hit content where my pet just folded so I rolled a tank. It took some time to AA him, farm gear and augs. Once the tank was ready for action and I tried the same stuff where my pet failed, I was like ... wtf, why nobody told me earlier to make a sk???
Frfr

Then I hit content where my pet just folded so I rolled a tank. It took some time to AA him, farm gear and augs. Once the tank was ready for action and I tried the same stuff where my pet failed, I was like ... wtf, why nobody told me earlier to make a sk???
The big of a difference? I had that issue with necro pet tanking HoT and UF. But thought mage pets can handle stuff really well. I main a pally and love it too. But was thinking about doing a caster group

Hows paladin at end game now? Im a pet tanker! Paladins got any decent AE agro now or is SK still king?
I find the Paladin AE agro to be inferior to both Warrior and SK. I don't know if that changes with AA's but current 120 with about 42k AA and his AE agro is fairly poor.

It's also possible I'm doing something wrong though.

One of the other issues with pet tanking is the anti-pet aggro mechanic that gets pulled into missions from their raid counterparts. This means that even if a pet is tanking and has aggro, mission bosses will ignore the pet and hit any PC if in range. This can be just fine with an all caster group, but it can be problematic if you run any melee classes.

Discussion - Pet tanking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back