• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Paladin or Shadow knight (1 Viewer)

Paladin or Shadow knight

• Paladin

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • Shadow KNight

Votes: 54 78.3%

• Total voters
RedCents
378¢
With the new expansion which class would be more beneficial the paladin or the shadow knight? I have both at level 115 I was just curious which one I should use as the tank.

I might be wrong, but my understanding is paladins closed the gap somewhat the last couple of expansions due to everything being undead, but I'm assuming SKs have pulled ahead again in ToL now that that's not the case anymore.

I'll caveat this with I haven't reached the end of ToL yet where I'm assuming it's loaded with vampires so this might not be 100% accurate

I chose to level up SK first for tanks since CWTN/Sic have mq2eskay. If we had mq2paladin i woudlve went paladin as i LOVE my paly, soon as SK hits 120 ill get my paly up

With the new expansion which class would be more beneficial the paladin or the shadow knight? I have both at level 115 I was just curious which one I should use as the tank.
Warrior! Har

happy bart simpson GIF
tank wtf GIF

lol...oh yes i did!

You're good with any of the three. I like pets both in game and IRL so I chose SK. Now only if I could get a skeletal cat as a pet. Skeletal iksar?

See...I have a warrior, Sk, and Paladin.

My knowledge is limited to group game.

I would hands down give it to the paladin any day of the week.
I would hands down give it to the warrior any day of the week.

The above two statements are lies. The Shadow Knight is a dominating force and my absolute favorite tank.
For starters, their epic is actually useful.
Unlike paladins I don't have to switch targets to heal myself. Just tappy tap tap. Warriors healing themselves? LULZ
Mana an issue for you? Use beza instead of Azia - Group mana tap.
Got a mage in your group? Add a pet and swarm pets for their Of Many line.
Need AoE aggro? NP, as many times as you like in exchange for a small pittance of mana. Can't do that on a warrior.
Pull go wrong? NP, we'll just FD. But also, we could just bring em anyway. Tanking 4-5 at a time is okay for me.
Self invis? Got you covered!
Need to summon a corpse for a fellowship member (or anyone for that matter). Got it.

The list goes on. I find them to be the most versatile and effective tanks (at the very least on the group game side of things).

You made the right choice.

See...I have a warrior, Sk, and Paladin.

My knowledge is limited to group game.

I would hands down give it to the paladin any day of the week.
I would hands down give it to the warrior any day of the week.

The above two statements are lies. The Shadow Knight is a dominating force and my absolute favorite tank.
For starters, their epic is actually useful.
Unlike paladins I don't have to switch targets to heal myself. Just tappy tap tap. Warriors healing themselves? LULZ
Mana an issue for you? Use beza instead of Azia - Group mana tap.
Got a mage in your group? Add a pet and swarm pets for their Of Many line.
Need AoE aggro? NP, as many times as you like in exchange for a small pittance of mana. Can't do that on a warrior.
Pull go wrong? NP, we'll just FD. But also, we could just bring em anyway. Tanking 4-5 at a time is okay for me.
Self invis? Got you covered!
Need to summon a corpse for a fellowship member (or anyone for that matter). Got it.

The list goes on. I find them to be the most versatile and effective tanks (at the very least on the group game side of things).

You made the right choice.
CWTN...Yes...and...No. That's assuming they know how to play the class, are decently geared, and have the right supporting classes. Easiest tank to make/operate hands down is a war.

Now fun-est tank to operate...nope still war.

Best finger faggler that tanks best...SK....har!

haters GIF
Season 4 Troll GIF by Living Single

Pally heals are target of target now days so you dont have to switch to self heal anymore. They also have several self only heals. AE aggro they will never match the SK but one dicho stun will instant heal the group and get aggro on anything attacking someone.

wars do very good ae agro as well. just have to know how to play and what to do/use. and wars tank just fine with 4 or 5 and more. as for healing himself.... we leave that to the half tanks that need it. wars dont. thats the clerics job

wars do very good ae agro as well. just have to know how to play and what to do/use. and wars tank just fine with 4 or 5 and more. as for healing himself.... we leave that to the half tanks that need it. wars dont. thats the clerics job
Reminds me of my days back in Sol A, leveling up my warrior. Had a RL friend who had just got into EQ and he made a cleric.
Apparently he was just winging it, and didn't at all look anything up. So he determined he could save some mana using this "One weird trick"

I kept dying, then getting a rez, repeatedly.

Turns out, he figured it was more mana efficient for him to just rez me than it was to heal me.

Moral of the story is, the cleric might not do their job the way you'd like them to do their job. Sometimes it's reasonable to help yourself instead of depending on others.

In the case of plugins/macros etc. I've forgot to make my cleric visible before, so they didn't heal. I usually don't notice till we've cleared a few camps and I just happen to notice my health spiking to decently low numbers on larger pulls. So warrior's want the cleric to their job, and Sk's can heal themselves enough that a cleric doesn't need to do anything.

You be all the warrior you can be. I don't mind being a Bloodreaver.

Re: Paladins + TOT heals.
Yes, that seems reasonable, but you got to get to end game for that to apply. So it really depends on where you are at in your ability to level up quickly, or if you already have a high level paladin on hand, etc.

I've always had much much better results on a shadow knight than either of the other two tanks.

Jokes aside, they're all down to play style. A warrior will hands down out tank Paladin and SK. All three of them need healers for any real content, but a Paladin will outlast the other two without one. They all have upsides and downsides, but the main difference between their effectiveness for you is play style.

the reason a sk is easy to play in mq is the easiness of the toon to play. a warrior is a pain to play if done well, you have to know what disks and aas to use and when to use them. unlike an sk to hit 2 buttons of these are tap and hate. i mean going against a single target a war will win the agro fight endlessly over and over.

given someone knows how to play a warrior and what aas to use. there is the biggest difference between the 2, i play an sk and a warrior the sk is squishy, needs the self heals, and the hate to get anywhere near a warrior in playability. they have been since the games inception and will be a secondary tank that finger wiggles. same as a pally. im not trying to argue here, its just a fact

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. All three can tank just fine outside of specifically crafted scenarios that require one of their talents. It's similar to the situation with the cleric who is the best healer in the game (of course, shaman will out parse a cleric on raids but that's because they can surge and AE and there's massive amounts of incoming damage all around that makes their particular brand of heals welcome in those scenarios). But group content healing only matters for the incoming damage taken. Overhealing is worthless, except for those specific abilities that use it. So you don't always need the best at that particular job -- you just need to be able to efficiently keep your party alive. Tanking isn't much different when it comes to taking the hits. And as far as buttons, everyone has a thousand abilities that aren't "spam this to win."

A paladin trades DPS against normal mobs for their survivability, group heals, and devastating DPS against undead. Their survival does not rely on mobs.
A shadow knight trades tankiness for DPS and being able to do a lot of things the other two tanks can't. Their survival depends on the mobs.
A warrior trades self sufficiency and utility for being the sturdiest tank on the block. Their survival depends on help from their group.

For group content, they are all effective tanks. Arguing otherwise is just not understanding the classes.

i didnt say sk and pallys cant tank, they just do it less than warriors. what i want in a tank is a tank, the dps will dps, the healer will heal and the tank is a meatshield that does his job well. that means warrior, bar none.

Which is why it's all down to play style. Some people want survivability, some people want utility, some people want the most group DPS. Some people optimize for the individual roles and some people optimize for the overall group. No wrong way to play as long as you're having fun.

I just wanted to mention it here because the "My tank is bigger than your tank" was getting heated and those tend to turn from fun jests to "Mine really is bigger than yours and I'll fight you" pretty quick.

Interesting chat here :)

I prefer war, but not for tanking purposes, but for DPS purposes and aggro, my war with raid weaps out dps my berserker with raid weaps almost every fight (trash), just saying, wars do a nice job and never need to rest for mana ect. On top of that, their discs for heavyhitting fights are better than those hybrids ;)

I have two answers (depends on the situation):
1. I trust my SK more when I am piloting and my group is grinding but hasn't quite achieved "autopilot" status
2. I want my WAR to "autopilot" once my group has exceeded the boundaries of the task/camp/mobs I am focusing on.
Once I want to push the limits and need defensive discs I resort to WAR as main tank. No questions.
So far, I am speaking from a TLP perspective...

On live, I won't consider anything other than an SK. Epic still relevant, I have an arsenal of spells and abilities that help me sustain myself through an "unlucky" pull.

Sorry PAL believers, I did give them a shot, but maybe there is something you see in them that I don't.

I rolled a Pally on launch day and played him to 115.
I leveled up a Warrior also to 110 for better tanking.
I now play a basically maxed out group SK.

Here is the summary:

If you like really long fights: Warrior
If you like medium length fights: Pally
If you like short fights (and all of the things CWTN mentioned above): Shadow Knight!!!

Discussion - Paladin or Shadow knight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back