• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Games - Original PCGamer ad for Everquest, March 1999 (1 Viewer)

Redbot

🖥️💖
RedCents
88,942¢
Pronouns
He/Him
First PCGamer ad for Everquest, '99. I looked for this online but couldn't find it, finally dug it out of a PCGamer March '99 pdf.

PC Gamer (1999-04) 059 (Imagine)_01.pngPC Gamer (1999-04) 059 (Imagine)_02.png

I remember looking at this ad with my little brother, geeking out and giggling about which character we'd be. I wasn't even sure if I'd buy the game before that point, but obviously this convinced me. Good thing I had a 3D accelerator!

More from SOE's '01 cringey ad campaign:

[video=youtube;fr-FkWsvEcg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr-FkWsvEcg[/video]

My guess is they were trying to normalize the hobby, make it seem like less of a shut-in stigma and more of a normal, healthy subject you'd bring up around a romantic interest. Obviously they missed the mark, but several years later WoW made the hobby socially acceptable so I guess they were ahead of their time.

Last edited:
I have a Kurnak cloth map at my parents house still i think also have the gold box there. I was able to dig this old book up and something from the fanfair in New Orleans.
20160522_195618.jpg
20160522_195631.jpg
20160522_195648.jpg
20160522_195721.jpg
20160522_195907.jpg

That fanfaire banner is great! Would love to see some better scans of the races in that player's guide.

I've been searching ebay for an original '99 EQ manual without any luck.

My grandmother turned my kunark cloth map into a pillow. Because why the hell not, which was my answer when she asked. Much love for that thing. I'll take a pic some time.

I loved my "toilet time" with the original guide books printed in 1999 and 2000. My gosh, so much of the book was inaccurate. I remember how starting stats were described.
I created a Human Mage , 17 years ago, since I only knew my way around Freeport and the surrounding areas.
From reading the guide , I created by Human Magician and I put +10 into Stamina and the rest into Intelligence.
The guide book said Stamina gives the Caster the strength to cast spells.
I had no idea that all I did was add some hit points.
I scrapped the Mage by level 16, once I found how much I loved the versatility of the Druid. Which became my main. And I was kind of anti social , so I solo 99% of the time.

Games - Original PCGamer ad for Everquest, March 1999

Users who are viewing this thread

Back