• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Bans - Oops! Lesson learned with using auto accept (1 Viewer)

Ninjapickle

Seasoned veteran member
RedCents
1,307¢
So I finally turned on auto accept for the first time 2 days ago. Being the lazy fuck that I am, rather than list all the toons I have and make them safe to accept from, I went with just accept everything in the universe.
You see where this is going, don't you?
Anyway, I was gone all day yesterday and didn't get home until about 2 am. I noticed my druids tab was highlighted indicating he had a tell. Actually a LOT of tells as it turned out. So much screaming and threatening, and with pretty legit reason. It seems I had accepted a trade for 11 krono while I was away.
Oops.
This guy had also been blowing up general chat about how I took his krono and ripped him off. Definitely not the kind of attention I wanted. I promptly parceled his krono back to him and he finally got back to me thanked me for being honest. He was also decent enough to retract all he previous statements in chat fwiw, and thanked me publicly for being honest and declining his offer to reward me.

Still, that could have gone so much worse. It never pays to be lazy. *sigh*

I mean...if guy was dumb enough to hand you 11 krono and hit the trade button without looking at who it was being handed to....
Not going to lie, I thought about it for a minute lol. For all I know he was half asleep or something. It was an honest mistake worth $110 at a min and I just couldn't do that. I need all the damn good karma I can get.

I mean...if guy was dumb enough to hand you 11 krono and hit the trade button without looking at who it was being handed to....
Right? I mean, the trade window is pretty idiot proof at this point. You can't remove items and once someone clicks "Trade" any subsequent additions cancel any previous clicks of the Trade button. If you click to accept, you're explicitly accepting the currently displayed contents of the trade window. If that's 11Kr for nothing in return, that's what you're gonna get. Every time I've ever done a krono trade, I specifically inspect each item being added to the trade window to ensure that it's what was agreed on before my mouse ever goes anywhere near the Trade button.

OP, did you go into detail as to how your client can auto-accept a trade window without you being there? Did you cop to using MQ2? I mean, this is basically a one-in-a-million scenario.

Right? I mean, the trade window is pretty idiot proof at this point. You can't remove items and once someone clicks "Trade" any subsequent additions cancel any previous clicks of the Trade button. If you click to accept, you're explicitly accepting the currently displayed contents of the trade window. If that's 11Kr for nothing in return, that's what you're gonna get. Every time I've ever done a krono trade, I specifically inspect each item being added to the trade window to ensure that it's what was agreed on before my mouse ever goes anywhere near the Trade button.

OP, did you go into detail as to how your client can auto-accept a trade window without you being there? Did you cop to using MQ2? I mean, this is basically a one-in-a-million scenario.
Ok, I admit to a certain level of stupidity, but I have my limits. I told him I thought I was accepting an expected trade from someone and just hurriedly clicked accept without paying attention because my buddy was here to pick me up, then got up and left for the day.

At least you were nice enough to send them back to him. Not gonna lie if it were me I would have probably kept 1 or 2. I know a lot of people who would not send them back. Im glad to see some Honest and trustworthy people in the world again.

At least you were nice enough to send them back to him. Not gonna lie if it were me I would have probably kept 1 or 2. I know a lot of people who would not send them back. Im glad to see some Honest and trustworthy people in the world again.
He offered a couple krono as a reward, but I figured the sheer panic of almost losing the 11 was a sufficient lesson to him. Hopefully it will come back to me some day in the future if I make a mistake. Given how bad my focus issues are, i'm bound to make quite a few lol

I'll be 100%, I sent someone 12 kronos I meant to send to mule once. Apparently someone on the server I was on had the same toon name as one of his toons on a different server and I neglected to switch to the other server first. But I just called it a loss and someone got 12 kronos for free. No idea if their acct was active or not, but if they ever decide to play EQ again then they'll have a year worth of subs waiting on them lolol. I subsequently realized my error, switched servers and sent them to the right person. Was my own negligence that caused it, so I certainly wouldn't be all up in arms about it crying in general chat and raging at the recipient of my error.

yeah im not sure what id do in this scenario because i'm all about the whole "if hteyre too fucking stupid to look before they leap, it's their fault"- lotta people are too stupid to live lol (i hate people a lot lately lol) but at the same time idk. it'd depend on what toon and what account it occurred on because my name is old and very well known. not someone that's ever changed mains or servers, so if it was linkable to my main i suppose i'd be nice just to save my own face. but if it wasnt...if it was one of my 6man anon group or maybe even a trader (i can always make new traders) i may have just said fuck them. unless it was someone i know particularly, then it would depend if i did or didnt like them i guess lol.

I did something similar once with parcels but it was all newbie shit and the guy i was sending to had a very similar but oddly spelled version of another guy's name who i'd spoken to the same day, and im pretty sure i filled his parcels box up thinking i was donating to a desperate returnee or newb. not important as fa as the items go, but i felt more bad that i thought i was giving the guy a ton of help and he probably got nothing i didnt hand him myself (did both), or sent from another acct cause im sure i didnt screw it up on all of them lol.

i do a lot of random eq charity work despite hating people in general, but if someone was that belligerent to me over THEIR mistake?? unless it was someone i have known AND liked for years- i probably wouldve toldem finders keepers. next time verify before you click trade. even if idc if the items are right o wrong (nonprofit transaction) i ALWAYS care to be sure of the recipient lol. the story you gavem was perfectly believable though, except sometimes to weirdos that like log off instead of going afk lol. hell, ive been known to hear an audiotrigger from someone i wanted to talk to, or ..something..and gotten outta bed to look at screen. if someone was giving me something if probably be like cool ill look at that tomorrow, and go right back to bed. lol- because of this ive often gone to sleep listening to eq thunderstoms, after the first couple times i got up to make sure it was eq not some malware or something making the noise lol.

yeah im not sure what id do in this scenario because i'm all about the whole "if hteyre too fucking stupid to look before they leap, it's their fault"- lotta people are too stupid to live lol (i hate people a lot lately lol) but at the same time idk. it'd depend on what toon and what account it occurred on because my name is old and very well known. not someone that's ever changed mains or servers, so if it was linkable to my main i suppose i'd be nice just to save my own face. but if it wasnt...if it was one of my 6man anon group or maybe even a trader (i can always make new traders) i may have just said fuck them. unless it was someone i know particularly, then it would depend if i did or didnt like them i guess lol.

I did something similar once with parcels but it was all newbie shit and the guy i was sending to had a very similar but oddly spelled version of another guy's name who i'd spoken to the same day, and im pretty sure i filled his parcels box up thinking i was donating to a desperate returnee or newb. not important as fa as the items go, but i felt more bad that i thought i was giving the guy a ton of help and he probably got nothing i didnt hand him myself (did both), or sent from another acct cause im sure i didnt screw it up on all of them lol.

i do a lot of random eq charity work despite hating people in general, but if someone was that belligerent to me over THEIR mistake?? unless it was someone i have known AND liked for years- i probably wouldve toldem finders keepers. next time verify before you click trade. even if idc if the items are right o wrong (nonprofit transaction) i ALWAYS care to be sure of the recipient lol. the story you gavem was perfectly believable though, except sometimes to weirdos that like log off instead of going afk lol. hell, ive been known to hear an audiotrigger from someone i wanted to talk to, or ..something..and gotten outta bed to look at screen. if someone was giving me something if probably be like cool ill look at that tomorrow, and go right back to bed. lol- because of this ive often gone to sleep listening to eq thunderstoms, after the first couple times i got up to make sure it was eq not some malware or something making the noise lol.
Toe, I'm with you when it comes to people.
My default position is to hate everyone until and unless they prove me wrong. I've been diagnosed as a sociopath (now just known as anti-social personality disorder), which simply gives a medical explanation as to why I've always been a selfish, judgmental asshole. I'm 53 now and have spent most of my life screwing people over and not caring about it. I still don't feel guilt or regret, I never have. However, I understand intellectually the difference between right and wrong, or good and bad. I know when I *should* feel bad, even though I don't. I never say "I'm sorry" because I'm not, but instead will say "I apologize".
I still remember to this day delivering pizza a long time ago and found out after the fact that a customer had accidentally included a $100 bill in the money she gave me. I thought about giving it back, because she had kids and it was close to Christmas. I decided I wanted it more than she needed it. I don't feel bad about it, but I'm aware I should have given it back.
All that being said, as I get older try to find ways to be less of the old me. Maybe some of it is just making up for being shitty to so many people. Dude made an honest mistake, so I chose not to penalize him for it.
Things are getting deep now lol.

I'll be 100%, I sent someone 12 kronos I meant to send to mule once. Apparently someone on the server I was on had the same toon name as one of his toons on a different server and I neglected to switch to the other server first. But I just called it a loss and someone got 12 kronos for free. No idea if their acct was active or not, but if they ever decide to play EQ again then they'll have a year worth of subs waiting on them lolol. I subsequently realized my error, switched servers and sent them to the right person. Was my own negligence that caused it, so I certainly wouldn't be all up in arms about it crying in general chat and raging at the recipient of my error.

Something kind of similar happened to me once. I bought six krono from the redcents store and configured them with my toon name on vox (per the instructions). Easy peasy.

Well, except about a week before Vox had been merged with another server and my krono toon apparently shared a name with someone on the other server. My toon had the standard “x” appended to his name, which meant that those six krono went to someone other than me. I tried sending in game email (the person wasn’t logged in), but never got a response.

Proof yet again this is the best community ever, definetely encouraging the best behavior in us. I would have probably been like...<raises his ebil crooked pinkie> Mwhahahahaha!...at least for a second. Glad you did the right thing and made him whole...gotta tell ya though tempting to be just like /ignore <dumbasswhogavemekrono> ... lol

Proof yet again this is the best community ever, definetely encouraging the best behavior in us. I would have probably been like...<raises his ebil crooked pinkie> Mwhahahahaha!...at least for a second. Glad you did the right thing and made him whole...gotta tell ya though tempting to be just like /ignore <dumbasswhogavemekrono> ... lol
I was most definitely tempted. Especially given how hard it is to get krono, currently.

Bans - Oops! Lesson learned with using auto accept

Users who are viewing this thread

Back