• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Old man here (1 Viewer)

Giggles

RedCents
836¢
Good evening everyone. so i started playing EQ in late 1999. played for 15 years took a long needed break and am getting back into the swing of things. I have noticed with my old age I am down from 6 manual boxes to struggling with 3. I have been watching your videos and am very interested and very confused. what exactly is the specific class MQ2's compared to kiss assist? is it kiss assist all setup for a price or something totally different? what are red cents? how many do i need for level 2? once i get level 2 do i have acess to kiss assist and can buy class specific setups? whats the difference between using redcents and a subscription. Thank you for your time.

$10ish I think and you get level 2 for a month. Then you can automate 5 chars to assist you within minutes. RGMercs is very nice, once you read up on how to use Kissassist you can start editing ini files to better suit your needs.

Good evening everyone. so i started playing EQ in late 1999. played for 15 years took a long needed break and am getting back into the swing of things. I have noticed with my old age I am down from 6 manual boxes to struggling with 3. I have been watching your videos and am very interested and very confused. what exactly is the specific class MQ2's compared to kiss assist? is it kiss assist all setup for a price or something totally different? what are red cents? how many do i need for level 2? once i get level 2 do i have acess to kiss assist and can buy class specific setups? whats the difference between using redcents and a subscription. Thank you for your time.
howdy Giggles and welcome, we're lucky to have you.

you can find out about red cents > Here <. This allows you to contribute/participate in the community as a way to pay for your redguide's lvl 2 subscription if you didn't want to pay the $10 per month (or less with longer term subscription options).

MQ2 is the "overall" vehicle which allows other things to run, whether it be plugins like mq2map, mq2nav, mq2berzerker, or mq2status etc - or macros like kissassist, rgmercs, pokscribe, overseer.mac, etc.

kissassist is macro suite that allows automation for all classes, and it is a macro that is included with your RedGuides lvl 2 subscription. and we have a kissassist library > here < where you can see ".ini" files that other users have setup for their needs and shared

the cwtn class plugins are "premium" and for live servers are $20 for a 12 month license for each. Currently we don't have all of the classes done. these cwtn class plugins come with less granular customization/adjustability than you can have with something like kissassist or muleassist, or modbot, as examples.

you can do all the content you could imagine with just about any of the options, free or premium.

Welcome @Giggles - there are a lot of nice people here who are very helpful. From one new user to another ... you may not always know what question to ask next, and questions lead to more questions. I would suggest reading through some of the other posts because others likely have had similar questions to yours. Example I asked about the different Combat Assistants available - I got some great answers. Plus it helped me form other questions.

Again, from one new user to another... All of the programs here will let you box 6 - start with the basic trinity (tank, heal, crowd control) +3. There are really great threads on 6 boxes. Read at least two of them about box teams. #1 thing to do is pick what you like. #2 cover the trinity.

There is a learning curve (that is where this forum helps - come post problems that you have or look for solutions that others received to your questions). Once you decide what you want to try first (based on price and what you want to do). Then I would suggest looking for what @Sid calls "quality of life" programs. After that I would look for the little programs that may not fall into one of those categories, but will help you in the game. Like MQ2FeedMe.

I went from struggling to box 3 without a program to successfully boxing 6 in under a day. It took more time to create the accounts to box, then to set it VV. I started in Glooming Deep newbie area. You will quickly find out that you will want some keys to help. @Sid has "My Resources (Sic's Hotkeys) https://www.redguides.com/community/resources/mq2mybuttons.145/ . I found I needed a Stop Move key really quick as stuff ran into walls and off ledges and didn't want to stop moving.

The first one I suggest (after you choose a combat assist program) would be MQ2MyButtons - I'm recommending this because it gives you a bar that you can customize that will appear on every toon. I found it to be amazinly useful because as I switched between characters I only had to program the commands that I wanted to use all the time once. It will also get you some basic .ini editing.

Welcome to the community. Hope you have fun!

Welcome! Sid and Chadwiththisname are very helpful, but really there are tons of great amd helpful people.

Get a level 2 sub, then hop in discord. The trinity of classes is a solid start, however if you want to 6 necro it, thats your call. Ask questions, browse the forums, and remember:
If there is task, there is a macro or plugin to make it easier!

Welcome! Sid and Chadwiththisname are very helpful, but really there are tons of great amd helpful people.

Get a level 2 sub, then hop in discord. The trinity of classes is a solid start, however if you want to 6 necro it, thats your call. Ask questions, browse the forums, and remember:
If there is task, there is a macro or plugin to make it easier!
you're dead to me
1611971983292.png

I second this motion.

Since the motion is unanimous we'll proceed with disciplinary action.

You are hereby ex-communicated and are scheduled to live out the rest of your days in shadow-rest starting tomorrow at noon, may Brell have mercy on your corpse.
yup - and they don't have tacos there. sorry purranzo234

As someone who likes to control multiple toons myself but despises alt-tab(I run multiple PC's) I'd like to give you a little advice, just from what it seems is your goal here. Unless you want full auto everything but 1, rgmercs does a lot more right out of the box than kissassist, and using others' inis isnt greatuntil you understand exactly what every option does. I use rgmercs on 1 toon off and on(she's often manual instead) and it works great. Easy to turn on and off, no need to mess with ini files as you can set option from I game with a simple command listing them all out. That's a bard. I purchased the rogue plugin because I'm both not enthused about pure melees or casters, and they are being boxed directly "behind" my tank, or main toon, and I've always hating alt tab, so they get the least interaction. I also created after trying several copied inis, a druid one that works...but not great so on named I split group and pop mercs. I know there are much better ways to run healers, but druids as sole healers have few resources to choose from.

I also don't use the whole kit n kaboodle like most, and don't actually "drive"(set up keys to command other toons from one main one) my team, only using what I need to get things done rather than all the bells and whistles. You can do anything between as you like, but it is a little more difficult to do some things because most information is for people with centralized command. There are a lotta nice tools for those of us with memory problems(me) and dexterity problems(possibly you) to allow us to play how we always have, or better. Like you, I took 6-7 yrs away before coming back recently, so I had a lot of catching up to do with just general and class knowledge, so being able to focus on those things and reacquaint myself with my favorites while still accomplishing things was a great help.

Thank you all for your support, before i do anything im reading all i can, right now i run pally main, zerker, bard. and use mercs . Once i get a grasp of how this goes, my goal is maybe 4 or 5 toons. I am in a good raid guild so main tank will be well geared when i can get to raid level. bots will all be group gear. Its hard to find a group at all now days so I want to use this to get through all the quests and missions. I dont know how anyone could run more than 1 group. Some of you guys are just insanely skilled. really i was sold at the login with 1 click and auto assist and the movement, it takes me forever just to get my toons to camp.

PS: Thank you for the redcents you guys are awesome!!

Thank you all for your support, before i do anything im reading all i can, right now i run pally main, zerker, bard. and use mercs . Once i get a grasp of how this goes, my goal is maybe 4 or 5 toons. I am in a good raid guild so main tank will be well geared when i can get to raid level. bots will all be group gear. Its hard to find a group at all now days so I want to use this to get through all the quests and missions. I dont know how anyone could run more than 1 group. Some of you guys are just insanely skilled. really i was sold at the login with 1 click and auto assist and the movement, it takes me forever just to get my toons to camp.

PS: Thank you for the redcents you guys are awesome!!

This was my plan...3 box, then the next day, I had all of the CWTN plugins and was 6 boxing with all gold accounts :P Good luck, and you came to the right place. This community is awesome!

Just using KissAssisst, I used to automate 6 toons. Granted, I've become rather lazy and have been slacking a great deal with EQ.

The atmosphere here is a lot less toxic than The official EQ forums but there are occasional arguments here as we are all humans here and not bots. Feel free to ask questions as someone usually tries to help within minutes, sometimes seconds. I personally hit the new posts button a lot and read almost everything as it is a great way to learn about the cool things possible with VV. Welcome and have fun!

@Giggles Welcome Friend, you are in for some serious fun, Eq will be a blast again in a new way. So happy you found your way here.
Thank you I got everything downloaded and setup. Its SOOOOO much easier to understand when your doing it while watching the videos. So far im loving it. some things im having issues with still but i will get there.

I second this motion.

Since the motion is unanimous we'll proceed with disciplinary action.

You are hereby ex-communicated and are scheduled to live out the rest of your days in shadow-rest starting tomorrow at noon, may Brell have mercy on your corpse.

Sid & Chad be nice you two...lol! Shadowrest here i come!

1999 was a very good year! There were strange gm's running Boomba's in Qeynos Hills, unsavory individuals that were red con trash, plopped by a shed in front of Blackburrow... Space 1999 .... welcome back!

lol who remembers the 30 minute boat ride from Faydwer to arrive at freeport spend another 20 min to oasis to find a camp to get raped by spectors or caimens and forgot to bind in freeport. 2 hour corpse recovery FTW

Thank you I got everything downloaded and setup. Its SOOOOO much easier to understand when your doing it while watching the videos. So far im loving it. some things im having issues with still but i will get there.

You will have a lot of questions at first... some you will get the answers for here, and some you figure out on your own. A lot of the things you will run across have already been answered, but it can sometimes be hard to filter through all of the posts to find them. I've posted quite a bit myself as I've been playing with this over the last couple of weeks. Here are a few things I've learned the hard way:

1. Watch Sic's (in his signature on all of his posts) video on hotkeys and try to understand what each item does. At first, I didn't do this and had a ton of problems as i tried to reinvent them based on my needs. In the end, the main ones (Camp, Chase, Pause, etc) are pretty much identical to his. Some I probably still need to understand more, especially on how to break combat and get my team to run like hell.

2. Always keep an eye on your party's distance from you. I can't tell you how many times I've ran across a zone, or even two, to find out one of my chars is dead 2 zones away, or my bard (who runs Kissassist) decided not to follow me.... hotkeys :)

3. Depending on who you are maining/playing, learn the pull radius, camp radius, and arcs and how to use them. This makes life much easier when you are camping in areas that may have spots you don't want to be. You will learn you have to fiddle with the camp radius depending on who's pulling (normally puller has a bit of a smaller radius than the rest of team.) On hunter tank modes (CWTN plugins) i find the "Hunter Tank" should have bit larger radius than the rest.

I'm new to EQ, at least in terms of game knowledge... and one big thing I'm learning is to realize when you have a good thing going! So often I end up getting bored, try to find a new place to camp, get wiped, then end up right back where I was 4 hours ago :) I suppose thats one way to learn though!

@Bregan - Great post! Thanks. I ran out of RedCent- but I will hit your post tomorrow!

It is likely that all of us new ppl have many of the same questions. I try to watch your posts and the others that are new. I always feel relieved when someone beats me to a question - then I know, I'm not alone in trying to figure this stuff out.

I want to learn this stuff, but I want to play while learning! So, I'm mostly learning as I go and find a question.

2. Yes, I'm feeling your pain on this one. When I start to move I move a bit and watch my map screen to make sure that my bard is following. I think it works best when I hit: Camp Off, Follow Me, Chase Me (from @Sic hotkeys). Sometimes, I still forget to hit one in that combo.

3. @Bregan - I'm having problems with this one. I need a lot more practice. I don't know how to use the arcs - where did you learn that? I have noticed that sometimes I set my puller radius higher, but forget to change it on the others. So they stand and watch my main. I still need to figure out how to set all the radius at the same time.

@Bregan - Great post! Thanks. I ran out of RedCent- but I will hit your post tomorrow!

It is likely that all of us new ppl have many of the same questions. I try to watch your posts and the others that are new. I always feel relieved when someone beats me to a question - then I know, I'm not alone in trying to figure this stuff out.

I want to learn this stuff, but I want to play while learning! So, I'm mostly learning as I go and find a question.

2. Yes, I'm feeling your pain on this one. When I start to move I move a bit and watch my map screen to make sure that my bard is following. I think it works best when I hit: Camp Off, Follow Me, Chase Me (from @Sic hotkeys). Sometimes, I still forget to hit one in that combo.

3. @Bregan - I'm having problems with this one. I need a lot more practice. I don't know how to use the arcs - where did you learn that? I have noticed that sometimes I set my puller radius higher, but forget to change it on the others. So they stand and watch my main. I still need to figure out how to set all the radius at the same time.

Find a safe spot and set to puller tank mode, or hunter mode, and you will see the blue circle if your arc is set to 360, then start playing with that number. You will see it change. Here are a couple of examples. The first pic is a 360 pull arc with a 90 radius. The second one is with a 180 degree. It goes by the direction you are facing.

1612198111944.png1612198142945.png

This is how I do my camp radius depending on what im doing, camping or hunting, etc.

1612198280098.png

Question - Old man here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back