• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Newcomer with questions (1 Viewer)

RedCents
141¢
Hello everyone, I'm a returning player from the 2010 era of Emulator. My friends drew me back into Live as a way we could all hang out since our lives have gone separate ways; however, I have outlasted all of them. :) That being said, I played solo and duo for a bit on Live but have hit the wall of much harder content in game. I am looking into MQ2, as I used it a fair bit during the Emu days. A guildmate turned me on to it and sent me the files and explained how the INI worked. I was able to get it up and running and had a great time with it back then. Unfortunately, I deleted it a few years back and have long forgotten how I used it. So, a couple friends in game sent me here. I have been reading through a lot of old posts and the forums for information, but call me slow, I still have questions.

::edit:: I had a lot of questions there but that was too much for the initial post...

I understand about the subscription and Red Cent alternative for the forums, but I was reading posts where it said that the files cost money per char, per year ($20 iirc) and I was a bit confused. I have no issues either donating or paying for services I use, but I don't want to pay for something only to find unforeseen costs especially since I enjoy playing through all the different characters. That would be outside my budget. Is there a post somewhere that clarifies that?

Kyric

You are probably seeing the CWTN class plugins. Those are $20 a year for each plugin, and will run any number of that class. For example I've got a group with 4 necromancers in it using the necro plugin, it was just the one $20, not $80. Also you can run MQ without paying for those if you don't want. For someone like me that doesn't want to have to deal with learning how to setup the free options or program something myself it's a great thing. You can do just fine without them though.
So no there isn't any extra fees to use mq. Just some perks if you choose to pay for them.

Welcome to RedGuides!

Getting Started / Returning user

Welcome to RedGuides, fellow EQ multi-boxing enthusiast!

The best place to begin is our "New User Guide" video series, click this TV to watch:

This step-by-step series will teach absolute beginners how to control 6 characters at once while highlighting Nav, AutoLogin, and DanNet, which are fundamental plugins that will enhance every aspect of your game.

Returning users check out - MacroQuest Release Party: https://www.redguides.com/community/threads/macroquest-release-party.80628/ for information about changes from the legacy MQ2 to the new and awesome MQ

Hello everyone, I'm a returning player from the 2010 era of Emulator. My friends drew me back into Live as a way we could all hang out since our lives have gone separate ways; however, I have outlasted all of them. :) That being said, I played solo and duo for a bit on Live but have hit the wall of much harder content in game. I am looking into MQ2, as I used it a fair bit during the Emu days. A guildmate turned me on to it and sent me the files and explained how the INI worked. I was able to get it up and running and had a great time with it back then. Unfortunately, I deleted it a few years back and have long forgotten how I used it. So, a couple friends in game sent me here. I have been reading through a lot of old posts and the forums for information, but call me slow, I still have questions.

::edit:: I had a lot of questions there but that was too much for the initial post...

I understand about the subscription and Red Cent alternative for the forums, but I was reading posts where it said that the files cost money per char, per year ($20 iirc) and I was a bit confused. I have no issues either donating or paying for services I use, but I don't want to pay for something only to find unforeseen costs especially since I enjoy playing through all the different characters. That would be outside my budget. Is there a post somewhere that clarifies that?

Kyric
Kyric Welcome. You're first 3 months of level 2 are on me.

Welcome To The Team GIF by MOODMAN

Welcome to RG and welcome back if you're a returning player!

Always start here RG Video

Watch the vids in Sic's signature (I'm sure he will post soon if he has not done so already while I'm typing this).

Once you have an idea of how things work, you'll want to look into some automation options. Check out Kissassist Beginners Guide, Kissassist Commands , RGmercs, and especially cwtn plugins ( you can also /testcopy your toons and use the cwtn plugins there for free and you'll want to spend some time looking at CWTN Plugins Explained.).

I suggest getting your feet wet slowly and be patient as it takes time to absorb all this information. Try taking your toons somewhere safe and lower level at first and explore the automation options. It takes some time to get used to, so don't be surprised it if feels overwhelming at first.

Once you feel like your're getting the hang of it (or to get a more in depth idea of what this site can do), then check out the plugins, macros, and lua's available to complement your automation. Things like MQ2pluginmanager, buttonmaster, mq2autogroup, MQ2Autoaccept, MQ2Status, GuildClicky, Boxhud, MQ2Buffme , and more. You'll also want to see Lua event manager.

How do you get to see and experience all of this you ask? You need to be a level 2 member. To do that you have 2 options. First, you can subscribe (paid method) or second, you can use Red Cents. What the heck is a Red Cent you ask? Red Cents can you help with your subscription and it's the currency this site uses. Contribute helpful information (post here) and others will give you red cents and each red cent you give others returns one to you. check it out! Red Cents

Lots of info and a super helpful community here to help when you get stuck.

You are probably seeing the CWTN class plugins. Those are $20 a year for each plugin, and will run any number of that class. For example I've got a group with 4 necromancers in it using the necro plugin, it was just the one $20, not $80. Also you can run MQ without paying for those if you don't want. For someone like me that doesn't want to have to deal with learning how to setup the free options or program something myself it's a great thing. You can do just fine without them though.
So no there isn't any extra fees to use mq. Just some perks if you choose to pay for them
Ok, so those are like the advanced macros for each class that someone has made?

Kyric Welcome. You're first 3 months of level 2 are on me.
Thank you very much. Definitely going to explore a bit.

Sic. Thank you. I have watched those New User videos here, but I see lots more in your sig that I will check out.

Ok, so those are like the advanced macros for each class that someone has made?
Yes, some resources at redguides cost money, but only if you want them. All the resources at redguides are generated by someone at some point and some choose to charge for access. This isn't exclusive to the class plugins, as there are also some other tools that have been made available such as MQ2Grind, or Tradeskill Construction Set NeXt.

In order to get access to Redguides Very Vanilla you only need to be a level 2 member of redguides. Anything you purchase after that is just because you want to use a tool that cost some money.
Anything that has an additional monetary cost will say as much. Like here in this example.
1696842458722.png
It shows that you can buy a copy, how much it costs, and how long you get access to it for the cost.
But again you're under no obligation to purchase these. But they are there if you decide you want them.

There are options you get access to with your Redguides level 2 such as RGMercs or Kissassist that are available without any additional payment.

If you decide you want to make additional purchases and buy a license for one of the class plugins, they are not a subscription. So you purchase the license, and when it expires you have to manually purchase a new license. This way there isn't any surprise fees a year from the original purchase date.

Finally, if you do decide you'd like to check out the class plugins, you can test all the available classes on Test as they come with Redguides Level 2 for the test server. Simply setup the launcher to download for test instead of for live and try them all out.

If you plan to try out the plugins there are videos and tons of information in their individual discussion threads for each plugin as well as this link.
Please see >>> Getting Started with CWTN plugins! (Movement, UI Window, Clickies, Pulling, ETC) Check Here First! <<<

As stated great things like RGMERCS and Kissassist come with your level 2 sub. The $20 plugins are value adds only if you want to buy. Not required to run your crew but they are freaking awesome and nobody is paying me to say that. And it's not $20 per char they are class plugins. Meaning if you want to make 100 Shaman you only pay the yearly sub of $20 1 time and it covers all 100 Shaman. The difference is the class plugins give me the closest experience to playing with a group of people. Whereas RGMercs tries to make the toons play like Mercs to some degree. I love RGMercs I use it when Plugins aren't available. Like Bard, Ranger and Wizard for now. But I can tell you and I have no stake in this, if you ever Play the Plugins you will be hooked. Right now the Druid Plugin is in PreRelease so everyone on live can use it free. Just try it if you have a Druid. See the difference.

Welcome to the RG universe where anything can happen when you put your mind to it. I am fairly new here also. A returning player like you and very happy to be apart of this community. Everyone already posted about checking out the guides, Sic's signature to links to other great stuff. So many tools at your finger tips to choose from. I would read about them all and see which best fits you. Even reading what others are posting I learn allot. I would suggest if you look at the top of the page, click the arrow next to WIKI and it will bring up a link to all the guides posted for quick looking up information when you get stuck.

Welcome to the team!

Enjoy Brother.
Ok, its official, my wife hates you :) Thank you again for the sub. Its been a fun trip down memory lane. Amusing to see some of the macros in the folder were the same as years ago.. (who would have thought Cams were so popular.)

Anyways, is there a place to ask specific questions about the inner working of the KA? There are things it does that I would prefer to turn off, for example, SK always using certain discs/abilities (HT) and rogue always using Hide, etc. I have used search but end up with a lot of results that aren't quite what I was looking for. Also some INI files don't "turn on"

K

Ok, its official, my wife hates you :) Thank you again for the sub. Its been a fun trip down memory lane. Amusing to see some of the macros in the folder were the same as years ago.. (who would have thought Cams were so popular.)

Anyways, is there a place to ask specific questions about the inner working of the KA? There are things it does that I would prefer to turn off, for example, SK always using certain discs/abilities (HT) and rogue always using Hide, etc. I have used search but end up with a lot of results that aren't quite what I was looking for. Also some INI files don't "turn on"

K
Tell your wife she should play. If she signs up I'll spot her 3 months as well.

I really am glad you are enjoying the game that's what it's all about. If you have any questions or need any help there is an amazing bunch of folks here. They put up with me.

I really will spot your wife 3 months if you can get her playing hell make it six. LoL

In the KA lines, make sure all your assisting classes are set to "assist" along with melee set to 1. Additionally, check various spell gems are loaded in the correct slots. My casters even melee as an easy check for initialization. KA with a ton of conditions can also create gaps in your automation if you are missing the weapons/clickies used.

I think the Rogue uses hide to cool down the aggro he draws in combat. Not sure if this is what you are talking about. Also a couple other disciplines are on the Harm touch timer and may be running instead of harm touch.

The Good news is I bought you 6 extra months of RG to figure it out.

The bad news your wife may literally murder me.

K
6 more months on me brother. Just because I feel generous tonight my friend.

scrolling through forums also collecting information on this whole thing. as a player from back in 99 (i was just a wee lad) came back to EQ in wanna say 2011 or 2012. (Old habits die hard). but good question is it $20 per year for each class or 20 a year a set? also what level ranges does that cover? max level with max aa? or just runs what 1 has?

The CTWN class plugins are $20/year for each one. You can run as many characters as you like per license, and they work from level 1 to max level/max aa. You'll need to take care of buying spells and abilities, but the plugin will use what you have (within limits) and will update itself as you go. When the plugin loads, it will list what it wants to use and what you are missing so that should help you fill out your spell book.

Sic has some excellent videos for each plugin, well worth your time to watch those and see how these work! Also, each has a FAQ that you can read that will answer questions. If you don't watch the videos and go through the FAQ, you'll miss valuable information. For someone just getting started, watch the videos, go through the FAQ and instructions, give them a shot, then go back and watch the videos and read the information again to pick up on the little things that will now make more sense.

scrolling through forums also collecting information on this whole thing. as a player from back in 99 (i was just a wee lad) came back to EQ in wanna say 2011 or 2012. (Old habits die hard). but good question is it $20 per year for each class or 20 a year a set? also what level ranges does that cover? max level with max aa? or just runs what 1 has?
for information on the cwtn class plugins, please see the cwtn class plugins sticky/section

Please see >>> Getting Started with CWTN plugins! (Movement, UI Window, Clickies, Pulling, ETC) Check Here First! <<<

Discussion - Newcomer with questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back