• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - New to the Community and Redguides - Thank you! (1 Viewer)

Moo

RedCents
346¢
Where have you guys been all my life? I recently came back to EQ after about a 15 year break. ! was manually 3-boxing a group. I came across an older video about Redguides and IHCMercs. I assume that is now RGMercs as most fo the commands and set up look similar, Anyhow, Over the past few days I have managed to get redguides and RGmercs running fairly well. I am still tweaking character settings to get my classes doing what I would like them to do. It has been a love/hate relationship so far getting things running with no prior experience with anything like this. After a lot of digging and 25-30 YT videos and guides. I am very happy with what you guys have created here! THANK YOU!!!

Any suggestions on some plug ins to try out? Also how long do you guys think I should wait before moving into KISS? I can see that is the way to go for really getting my characters to do what I feel they should be doing.

The plugins are great if you want an already built solution for running your group. They are usually setup to be run in a group where you have a real tank driving and leading the group .... everyone else follows and does their thing. Its wonderful if thats how you like to play ... the CWTN plugins are very nicely done. Really the only 'disadvantage' to the plugins is that you cant change how they operate much ... they are what they are.

If you want to do things a little out of the ordinary ... macros such as Kiss and mule allow you to change things up a lot more. They require a little more work setting up but allow you much greater control over everything your character does.

You can only run one macro at a time but you can run multiple plugins. You can also run a macro at the same time your plugins are running .... so you could be driving with your bard who is using Kissassist and the rest of the group following all being controlled by plugins.

I use both and it just depends what im trying to do in game as to which is better. Eventually you'll start playing with Lua also and that opens up all kinds of other little things you can do in game.

Bukktoof said it best. And, also take a look at the Lua section for more quality of life improvements. Lua's can also run multiples at the same time along side Plugins and Macros.

Welcome To The Team GIF by MOODMAN

Welcome to RG and welcome back if you're a returning player!

My story is similar to yours in that I took a 15-plus year break and was also boxing 3 manually. This site, its tools and mostly its' community have made EQ great again! Hopefully, some info below will help you further!

Always start here RG Video

Watch the vids in Sic's signature (I'm sure he will post soon if he has not done so already while I'm typing this).

Once you have an idea of how things work, you'll want to look into some automation options. Check out Kissassist Beginners Guide, Kissassist Commands , RGmercs, and especially cwtn plugins ( you can also /testcopy your toons and use the cwtn plugins there for free and you'll want to spend some time looking at CWTN Plugins Explained.).

I suggest getting your feet wet slowly and be patient as it takes time to absorb all this information. Try taking your toons somewhere safe and lower level at first and explore the automation options. It takes some time to get used to, so don't be surprised it if feels overwhelming at first.

Once you feel like your're getting the hang of it (or to get a more in depth idea of what this site can do), then check out the plugins, macros, and lua's available to complement your automation. Things like MQ2pluginmanager, buttonmaster, mq2autogroup, MQ2Autoaccept, MQ2Status, GuildClicky, Boxhud, MQ2Buffme , and more. You'll also want to see Lua event manager.

How do you get to see and experience all of this you ask? You need to be a level 2 member. To do that you have 2 options. First, you can subscribe (paid method) or second, you can use Red Cents. What the heck is a Red Cent you ask? Red Cents can you help with your subscription and it's the currency this site uses. Contribute helpful information (post here) and others will give you red cents and each red cent you give others returns one to you. check it out! Red Cents

Lots of info and a super helpful community here to help when you get stuck.

Welcome to this community. I remember that it felt it overwhelming about the sheer amount of tools available. I started similar, arriving here. At first I selected a tool, capable to drive all my chars. I started with kissassist, but as far as I know RGMercs offers similar capabilities. There are serveral toolsets available created to drive your chars during combat and optionally help you travel around.
To travel around there is a tool named Chase.Lua which is like a much better version of the „/follow“ command.
Other tools complement well with the choosen toolset to drive your toons.
Mq2autologin helps to ease the task, to get started all eq-accounts and load the choosen chars of your team.
Buttonmaster complements the ingame-hottbuttons with the main advantage to be able to create hotbuttons which always work, different to ingame-hotbuttons which are „locked“ while your character is casting.
Once you get the basics running the way you like it, you may want to improve your chars behavior further. Than you might be ready to get your hands on writing your own first lines of code, to improve the micromanagement of your chars. The Lua Event Manager (lem) offers a framework to do so. This tool can be used to further finetune your chars behavior beyond the capabillities your basic automation-toolset offers.

There is so much informstion and tools to find here. Don‘t feel overwhelmed. Just take it easy and start with your first choosen toolset. Once you feel comfortable with this, take a peek to the other tools mentioned in this thread and pick one by one.

I started here with a similar starting point. I took a break from eq, because manually boxing my chars began to feel more like a burden than fun. Coming back to eq, I wanted to avoid to get to the same point again, so I searched for tools to help me boxing my accounts. I had luck and found this community and am happy since.

I have watched a lot of the VoDs over the past week and read a lot of guides. Thank you guys to a few of the links to things I did not find on my own. I have made it up to level 46 with a group consisting of a WAR, CLR, BRD, NEC, SHM and I main the ENC with not many issues. Many learning curves tweaking the settings so far. I have managed to set up a camp to make everyone run back after they chase down the mob when the Necro doesn't land a Darkness snare. The only real issue is getting the Bard figured out. I just let her be a Dollar Store ROG at this point and play her DMG and Haste that stacks while fighting. I for the life of me can't figure out how to get her to play recovery songs during the downtime or travel songs. I will figure it out sooner or later. I had to do a lot of testing to keep odd things like the SHM canning themselves running the CLR OoM all the time. I just adjusted some when to heal party members other then MT. Overall I am very happy with what I have going on in my little test group atm.

I think my future may be some of Sic's class plug in's I just want to hop on and have some handsoff leveling. You level so fast in the game now. Then setting up my own stuff in KISS when the leveling slows dowNm.

Thanks again for the welcome and all the advice!!! I am having so much fun with EQ again!

I started exploring some of the other plugins for VW and the MQ2AutoForage is simply amazing! I have my group for the most part doing what I need them to be doing, should I start exploring the advanced settings for the mercs yet or hold off for awhile? Let me know what you guys think?

EDIT: Also the nav feature to travel to other zones is amazing as well!

Where have you guys been all my life? I recently came back to EQ after about a 15 year break. ! was manually 3-boxing a group. I came across an older video about Redguides and IHCMercs. I assume that is now RGMercs as most fo the commands and set up look similar, Anyhow, Over the past few days I have managed to get redguides and RGmercs running fairly well. I am still tweaking character settings to get my classes doing what I would like them to do. It has been a love/hate relationship so far getting things running with no prior experience with anything like this. After a lot of digging and 25-30 YT videos and guides. I am very happy with what you guys have created here! THANK YOU!!!

Any suggestions on some plug ins to try out? Also how long do you guys think I should wait before moving into KISS? I can see that is the way to go for really getting my characters to do what I feel they should be doing.
Actually The Be all end all are the CTWN Plugins those are the mountaintop.

And of course if You are on FV I will help with anything I can. That's kind of my deal.

And of course if You are on FV I will help with anything I can. That's kind of my deal.
I am not, back in 99 I started on Torvonillios (spelling?) and it merged with servers a few times over the years and ended up being part of CazicThule

One of my favorite Luas is Scriber it collects your spells and for the levels you set. I run it every 5 levels after 100 just to make sure I didn't miss any spells.

If you love RG Mercs, eventually if your budget permits you'll transfer to FV and run the CTWN plugins. Everquest on FV with the Plugins is the Pinnacle of today's game. In my opinion. And I really do help as many folks as possible with everything from PL to fear to plat. I like the social aspect of it. And giving people a chance to progress is just cool

You don't have to go from RGMercs to Kissassist RGMERCS is what I still run in toons that don't have Plugins. It's great. What 3 toons are you boxing?

Welcome back, Red guides put so much fun back into the game for me since I came back. So many tools to make you smile and say I wish I had this when EQ came out. Great community here. Everyone here has been very helpful when you run into an issue when you can't figure it out on your own. I never tried kissassist, I have used RGMERCS and the CWTN plug ins. Enjoy the game and it is great to have more members here.

mooooooooooooo!

One of my favorite Luas is Scriber it collects your spells and for the levels you set. I run it every 5 levels after 100 just to make sure I didn't miss any spells.

If you love RG Mercs, eventually if your budget permits you'll transfer to FV and run the CTWN plugins. Everquest on FV with the Plugins is the Pinnacle of today's game. In my opinion. And I really do help as many folks as possible with everything from PL to fear to plat. I like the social aspect of it. And giving people a chance to progress is just cool

You don't have to go from RGMercs to Kissassist RGMERCS is what I still run in toons that don't have Plugins. It's great. What 3 toons are you boxing?
I saw the script to grab my spells for me, I will try it out later on a later. I do see the CTWN plugins as something for sure down the road for me and my play style. I am still taking baby steps and learning one thing at a time to not get too over whelmed all at once! Tonights plan is make using Dansnet to issue macros to other toons in the group second nature!

I saw the script to grab my spells for me, I will try it out later on a later. I do see the CTWN plugins as something for sure down the road for me and my play style. I am still taking baby steps and learning one thing at a time to not get too over whelmed all at once! Tonights plan is make using Dansnet to issue macros to other toons in the group second nature!
It's not that the Plugins are hard. They are easy actually. What they do better than anything is emulate having a live player running the toon. That's not the experience everyone is after. I'm more social so I love that aspect of them. Whatever road you take there are so many great resources for however you choose to play I'd have to give up EQ if I had to give up Sic and Chats resources.

Last edited:
I have watched a lot of the VoDs over the past week and read a lot of guides. Thank you guys to a few of the links to things I did not find on my own. I have made it up to level 46 with a group consisting of a WAR, CLR, BRD, NEC, SHM and I main the ENC with not many issues. Many learning curves tweaking the settings so far. I have managed to set up a camp to make everyone run back after they chase down the mob when the Necro doesn't land a Darkness snare. The only real issue is getting the Bard figured out. I just let her be a Dollar Store ROG at this point and play her DMG and Haste that stacks while fighting. I for the life of me can't figure out how to get her to play recovery songs during the downtime or travel songs. I will figure it out sooner or later. I had to do a lot of testing to keep odd things like the SHM canning themselves running the CLR OoM all the time. I just adjusted some when to heal party members other then MT. Overall I am very happy with what I have going on in my little test group atm.

I think my future may be some of Sic's class plug in's I just want to hop on and have some handsoff leveling. You level so fast in the game now. Then setting up my own stuff in KISS when the leveling slows dowNm.

Thanks again for the welcome and all the advice!!! I am having so much fun with EQ again!
oh if you use the bazaar to trade you must have bazaar mac it sets prices it does everything. and eventually I'll see you on FV the rule set is just better and there are more people bigger economy. Our Bazaar you can buy raid items. things that are prolly no drop on your server. why is this stuff no drop? I started on Karana and got melted into Rathe then heard about FV saw the economy and I wanted to be part of it.

I did manage to set up communications and get macros working to have the party do things like go into chase mode on my main or travel to x zone. The more I dig into this and figure something out I find 100 more layers. Some of you guys really knocked it out of the park with these plugins, networking, etc...

I tried out PoKSribe for grabbing and memming spells and it is simply wonderful! It just did what I needed it to and saved me 20 minutes running 6 toons around buying them manually.

Discussion - New to the Community and Redguides - Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back