• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

News - New Client pushed 8-23-23 (don't patch) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
RedCents
601¢
The system message just went out at 1345 hours EST for a new client to the servers incase you run into issues.

Mod edit: if you patch eq, mq will not work until it is rebuilt. This is an optional eq hotfix. Be warned. If you patch; you wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, so there was a hotfix and I patched EQ, thinking this was the right thing to do. Checking RG, I see the message above... dread... "out of luck". Fine, my bad, I'll live with it. But it begs the question: how often is MQ updated normally? I mean, outside of whenever a non-hotfix, requires it? Once a week? Once a month? Not really at all? I realize the answer might be "it varies" and I will accept that. I am mostly just curious how often the MQ client is updated even though EQ might not demand it.

It all depends on the availability of those who take their time to contribute to the changes. They have normal jobs / families and only do this on the side for fun. It really is a "It varies" with a heavy lean on in the next day or two normally. Please, for anyone who reads this.....don't push for the update. It won't get done any faster if you start moaning about it.

It all depends on the availability of those who take their time to contribute to the changes. They have normal jobs / families and only do this on the side for fun. It really is a "It varies" with a heavy lean on in the next day or two normally. Please, for anyone who reads this.....don't push for the update. It won't get done any faster if you start moaning about it.
I fully accept and understand that. Not pushing, just wondering. I legit question, I think, that at least I never thought of, until this happened. As a normal user, I do like most people, I think, and just update when it is required of me. All praise to those that dedicate their free, spare time to make MQ a thing that so many of use enjoy, mostly for free.

The main idea of the warning was that they (EQ) broadcast in game to please logout and patch as soon as you can. I did this on another computer and got the mismatch error. Since it does usually take a few hours or more for an MQ patch, the warning was to hopefully prevent some from running the update before MQ update so there is no downtime.

I personally make a manual backup each time there is a planned patch/downtime. Just in case I bork it up (forget and patch) I can re-copy the pre-patch files back over to the main directory.

In Win11. I was able to go to Windows, right click eqgame.exe and "show more options". Then pressed "Restore previous Version". It worked!

If versioning is not set up, maybe set it up.

I know this is from 2022, but I am getting the version mismatch error and have followed what was proposed to fix the issue. On the RedGuides launcher it says last installed 8/24/2023 9:03:29 PM (Current Time), but the MacroQuest version in the error show a date of Aug 14 2023 13:51:25 and mismatches with the EverQuest date of: Aug 24 2023 08:28:15. I have restarted my computer and then started EQ waited for the Green Play button and then hit"reinstall" on the launcher. However, I am still getting the error. The current version in the RedGuides launcher says 8/17/2023 12:38:26 PM.

Last edited:
So I am a newbie here, and have a question: how long does it usually take before the new version of MQ2 comes out?

So I am a newbie here, and have a question: how long does it usually take before the new version of MQ2 comes out?
What to expect on patch days?
When eq patches MQ has to be rebuilt. (you also have to patch EQ --- this way you avoid "Version Mismatch" issues)

once mq is built RG can build - we now have an automated system that rebuilds RG as soon as it is updated - which means our previous method of "let's give it a quick test" is no longer there, and sometimes there ends up being another smaller patch later to correct if something got missed - so re-check on patch days if you are having issues.

eq could change literally anything and it would require the way MQ interacts with that portion of EQ to be completely reworked. It is normally just offsets, sometimes struct changes --- with the large changes eq has been making over the past few months (updates and backend improvements) there are more things than just offset changes that are happening, so it can certainly be a lot of work for the devs.

Curious when Very Vanilla will be updated?
You'll get a web notification (if we have permission), site notification, and email (optional)
Click to watch
MacroQuest for Live servers:
MacroQuest for Test server

EQ patches go like this: (in theory)
2nd* tue/wed = test "real" patch
3rd* wed = live patch
4th* tue/wed = test "true up

the tue over the wed is a more recent thing (I suspect klanderso has more to do with that, and having time to ensure working stuff before the weekend and upset people - klanderso is pretty awesome)
* holidays subject to cause shifts in days or even week

test is notorious for being like "oops we forgot the 'dont crash plz' file, gotta patch again", or "woops we added +1 to crashing, we meant -1", so "on paper" it is double the patches, but very frequently ends up being more than double the work (i imagine, I'm not doing the work - I'd love to learn enough at some point to help facilitate doing so, however)

Mq itself is open source and by volunteer(s) - RG which builds and distributes that is obviously paid for.
If you wanted to show your appreciation to the MQ devs for their volunteer work:

Tip the MQ Developers HERE:
brainiac:
https://www.redguides.com/tip/brainiac
Reply to this thread after donating for your 🧠
dannuic:
Reply to this thread after for your :dannuic:

Serious question here. If we're able to help folks with the previous files (eqgame and dx9), is it ok to post that info here or no?

(zipped up it's something like 6mgs)

EverQuest is out of date as it says there.

Run the EverQuest launchpad, and patch EverQuest
Enjoying RedGudies Very Vanilla so far, I have it loaded on 3 PC's It worked perfectly at first on all three. Now on one of them I'm getting the version Mismatch. In this case it's saying Macroquest is from Aug 14'th and we didn't even load everything the first time until the 18'th. We've Pulled and re-installed everything to do with the launcher including deleting all the redguides directories and very vanilla directories. We've swapped to test in both the Red launcher and EQ launcher and then back to Live in both. We've run a full verify on the EQ client just in case it was on that side. Everything is saying it's updated to the latest and yet MQ is saying it's older when we launch it. Again the confusing part is that it's only happening on one of 3 computers. I've triple checked that both the EQ Client and Red Launcher are set for Live.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Russ

EQ pushed an update this evening and it sounds like you patched EQ and MQ has not updated yet. They will update MQ in the near future though, sit tight as this was totally unexpected and the updates to MQ are done by volunteers.

Enjoying RedGudies Very Vanilla so far, I have it loaded on 3 PC's It worked perfectly at first on all three. Now on one of them I'm getting the version Mismatch. In this case it's saying Macroquest is from Aug 14'th and we didn't even load everything the first time until the 18'th. We've Pulled and re-installed everything to do with the launcher including deleting all the redguides directories and very vanilla directories. We've swapped to test in both the Red launcher and EQ launcher and then back to Live in both. We've run a full verify on the EQ client just in case it was on that side. Everything is saying it's updated to the latest and yet MQ is saying it's older when we launch it. Again the confusing part is that it's only happening on one of 3 computers. I've triple checked that both the EQ Client and Red Launcher are set for Live.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Russ
always check forums and compile status on the main page....

News - New Client pushed 8-23-23 (don't patch)
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back