• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Multiple computer use (1 Viewer)

RedCents
164¢
If I have my team that I'm leveling in one group on my desktop, can I run my main in the same group from my laptop? I'm sure this has already been answered but I'm not finding the answer. TIA

If I have my team that I'm leveling in one group on my desktop, can I run my main in the same group from my laptop? I'm sure this has already been answered but I'm not finding the answer. TIA
yup, you sure can.

there are some things that require communication either via network using eqbc/dannet or some things like the cwtn plugins that require same local pc for buffing purposes - but outside of some of those nice things, absolutely

And definitely check out ISBOXER.
One of the cool features of isboxer is a Multiple Computer Setup.

You can actually launch everything from your laptop - even if you have your laptop in a motel room on another country - You can start up the game remotely.

And definitely check out ISBOXER.
One of the cool features of isboxer is a Multiple Computer Setup.

You can actually launch everything from your laptop - even if you have your laptop in a motel room on another country - You can start up the game remotely.

Been using ISB for probably a decade or so at this point - on usually 2 pc, occasionally 3. Somehow I did not know you could launch all from the same comp..... Now I need to figure out that in addition to a few of your other recommendations.

idk why youd want to use ISB when you can just make eqbc go acrost multi pcs on the same network, for control
then use like a mouse and keyboard over internet thing to control with just one mouse and keyboard ( such like mouse without boarders or multiplicity)

Symlink the file to a network share?
no. please do not recommend this to anyone for the cwtn class plugins (there are also other things you don't want to share either, but the question was specific to me and the cwtn plugins). the way we currently handle buffs reads/writes frequently to a file - trying to share access to that over a network will cause poor performance and undesired results.

As someone who tried running off a network, don’t. Everything worked well until I added a CWTN plugin
The performance hit was between annoying to impossible to play.

Since the CWTN plugin was of more value than the convenience of a shared location I had to change which toons I played where.
At first I used Sync.com to keep the 2 systems configs in sync. My CWTN plugins ran on my main system, KA ran on the other. Since I did not know what I was missing this ran really well for me.

In the end I built a new PC which can easily handle my 10 accounts. (This was done prior to Next)

Things I know now that I did not know then. I should have turned sync off while playing. It kept trying to sync the buffs files. Now with Next all the buff files are in a sub folder which can be excluded from the sync. You also want to exclude the logs folder. The true potential of the plugin is limited without all group members have those buff files.

The thing is, you don't really need an amazing computer. Check craigslist for an i5 or i7 computer. Upgrade the ram to 1gb/toon that you want to play. Buy eqwire plugin. Plug it into your monitor. You are talking less than 500 dollars. Probably 300-400 range.

I've got 3 computers I use for my boxing. My main one has graphics juiced up and is pretty much pilot (maybe a few others case dependent). The other two are little PCs I picked up for around $100 CAD. Graphics super low on them as they function as box PCs. Can hold about 16 accounts per so works out if i want to.

To answer your Q - yes it does work. I don't have many major issues.

yup, you sure can.

there are some things that require communication either via network using eqbc/dannet or some things like the cwtn plugins that require same local pc for buffing purposes - but outside of some of those nice things, absolutely

Does eqbc compile well on linux? I thought about just running it on my server in the closet.

Also, I run the Monk and Shd CWTN plugins but kissassist for the casters. Would I have issues with the buffs if I just use the |me qualifier on each (cleric, shaman, mage, and enchanter)? Since its a 6 man team only I am trying to gauge the benefit of running the server centrally vs just running on the local host (Play on two different computers).

I use Dannet that sees my toons (and queries for buffs). My computers are in the same room and connected to a local network. Provided youre on the same local network I don't see any reason why Dannet wouldn't do the same (or any other resources for that matter)

I can't attest for EQBC directly however Dannet is the way of the future.

Question - Multiple computer use

Users who are viewing this thread

Back