• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Bans - MQ2AutoLogin Import/Export Crypto Error Fix (1 Viewer)

Ladon

Birthplace: Grobb
RedCents
6,486¢
Pronouns
He/Him
Got a new computer and was migrating my characters over to it. The Import/Export function in the MQ Launcher was spitting out the following errors on Import/Export:

Export: CryptAcquireContext failed error 80090016
Import: CryptAcquireContext returned -2146893802

I went through trying to figure out if it was UAC, some obscure setting, that my password is so strong you guys, updates, lack of DirectX, etc.
Turns out it's pretty easy to fix.

Show Hidden Files/Folders, go into C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto, and double-click on the SystemKeys folder. Windows prompted me to give myself admin access to the contents and Import/Export worked afterwards!
Yay saving the time moving characters without manually entering all of their data into the UI. Figured I'd toss up a thread for posterity in case anybody else runs into this in the future.

Got a new computer and was migrating my characters over to it. The Import/Export function in the MQ Launcher was spitting out the following errors on Import/Export:

Export: CryptAcquireContext failed error 80090016
Import: CryptAcquireContext returned -2146893802

I went through trying to figure out if it was UAC, some obscure setting, that my password is so strong you guys, updates, lack of DirectX, etc.
Turns out it's pretty easy to fix.

Show Hidden Files/Folders, go into C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto, and double-click on the SystemKeys folder. Windows prompted me to give myself admin access to the contents and Import/Export worked afterwards!
Yay saving the time moving characters without manually entering all of their data into the UI. Figured I'd toss up a thread for posterity in case anybody else runs into this in the future.
i had this exact same issue the other day! You just saved me a whole bunch of time.

Thx Lads <3

I dont see any directory for crypto under Microsoft . I'm on win 10, any help
I can't get an answer from dog2 on discord if you are the same person, I'm going to assume so based on timing and issue.

if you are not the same person, please confirm so we can try and get you sorted out

So I just got back some of my stuff from storage (I'll make a separate post about that later) and trying a Export/Import from this laptop to my newer one....getting the errors Ladon has listed in the original post. Any ideas? I tried Ladon's method, I'm already admin I guess. Not sure how to try William's method above.

Interestingly, this issue wasn't one of our issues. So now I'm a liar because I totally worked on it without an issue. Try now and should be fixed.
DUDE! It worked...I tried an old MPD file and it did not work (possibly from the MQ2 32 bit), anyways I actually needed to do the profile thing EXACTLY now.. and BOOM it worked from the new MQ export and new install of MQ Import ! HUZZAH! Here is some water for your pantaloons Shorts..

Bans - MQ2AutoLogin Import/Export Crypto Error Fix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back