• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
MeshUpdater (MQ2Nav Meshes)

Software MeshUpdater (MQ2Nav Meshes) (1 Viewer) 1.0.0.0

RedCents
11,628¢
wired420 submitted a new resource:

MeshUpdater (MQ2Nav Meshes) - Basic updater for MQ2Nav meshes. No more wasting bandwidth.

A basic version of my NavMesh updater. I got tired of downloading a 2GB pack every update. This updater will download missing files, or files with a newer version on the server (Your choice, either/or both). This WILL overwrite custom meshes you've made. So back them up first if you wish to keep them. It will warn you before it overwrites anything.

Source: https://gitlab.com/wired420/mq2navmeshupdater
Uses NewtonSoft Json Library, and ILMerge to merge said library into...

Read more about this resource...

that is very nice..but what is this pro version? lol
It was kinda named that as a joke. But it'll be the next version of this. It'll include everything from this + more. You'll be able to manage meshes while keeping your own easily, and it'll also run in the system tray and tell you when it sees new updates.

unknown (1).png

Ok, I guess I'm the only one here too retarded to figure this out.

-I have downloaded everything - then when I take the file that says "mesh updater", which is an application, and put it in my release folder, it will run.. then nothing happens. I get the compass rose initial screen, but it disappears and everything stops

When I move ALL the files or just the application file to anywhere else, it will run, but it tells me I'm missing all the files, then creates a new mq2nav folder.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Could we have some way to ask before overwriting meshes? I have customized several and I don't want to overwrite those, but I know at the same time a lot of these meshes I made by just popping default in the mesh generator are probably inferior than the server's other meshes

Could we have some way to ask before overwriting meshes? I have customized several and I don't want to overwrite those, but I know at the same time a lot of these meshes I made by just popping default in the mesh generator are probably inferior than the server's other meshes

it does ask if you want to overwrite the Mesh's you already have by default.

Does the updater check to see if it can write to a file before starting a download and if not does it then move on to the next one ?
No. It checks if it can delete the file though. Had issues with overwriting leaving corrupt files on some systems, so simplest solution was to delete old file. Then replace with new.

No. It checks if it can delete the file though. Had issues with overwriting leaving corrupt files on some systems, so simplest solution was to delete old file. Then replace with new.
If the delete fails does it stop or move on ? Trying to see if I can say mark file as readonly then update won't replace it ;)

AFAIK windows won't allow you to delete a readonly file.

If the delete fails does it stop or move on ? Trying to see if I can say mark file as readonly then update won't replace it ;)

AFAIK windows won't allow you to delete a readonly file.
I mean its in a try catch. So it shouldn't crash. Lol. Never really thought of that situation. Testing now.

Hello

tl;dr
If you have a problem with the mesh update tool, the I can suggest you update it to the lastest versions. MeshUpdater
Go to that page on this site, and use the "download" link in top right corner. Replace the "MeshUpdater.exe" in your MQ2, "VeryVanilla\Live\Release" directory.
Then try again.

the software has been updated in recent days.

Details

I've started out today with a fresh install of VeryVanilla. ( lastest version, 06/06/2020 ).
Followed the guides for it's install, and character loading into game with MQ2 profiles etc.
in the MQ2 window, some comment from MQ2Nav about no meshes for the zone.

I'd read about MQ2Nav so had a feel for what it was referencing.
Found the MeshGenerator and MeshUpdater tools in the Release directory.
I didn't want a custom mesh, I wanted the standard stuff available to all.

Launched the MeshUpdater tool (973KB file, dated 06/06/2020), a splash screen appeared and I waited, waited a bit more.
This yielded an exception box, that suggested it was trying to read from the internet, and get a '404' (not found) error.

Headed over to RedGuides, and found the MeshUpdater page.
In the reviews section, author Wired420 has replied to someone having troule with a corrupt file, that there is a new version available to download.

Did just that, downloaded, replaced the VeryVanilla installed with that new copy ( 974KB ) and it launched.
The splash screen, then to the expected dialogue box to allow the download of the complete set.
Accepted this, and it went on it's merry way. Several minutes later they were all in done.

switched to the game window, and issued: /nav reload

All was well with the world!

@wired420 - great tool, like it! 👍

Regards and Best Wishes

Great post. Normally it will be delivered with the normal updater. However I had to make some changes to how it was hosted to advance the project any further. This is 100% the right process to get the new updater until the next Very Vanilla update is pushed with the new version.

There has been a Very Vanilla update, and the files are dated June 14th 2020 @ 2217.

No requirement to manually replace MeshUpdater from the June 6th build if you update to current June 14th build of Very Vanilla.

Looked in the Release, and saw MeshUpdater was back to 973KB, with the same June 14th date and times as other files.
Initial reaction was this may have regressed, something wasn't picked up in the packaging, as the version that works is 974KB.

I am of course mistaken in this assumption.

I've used it, and it launched without throwing an exception.
The splash screen appeared (compass graphic), took a little time and eventually the form detailing Local Files, Remote Files, Missing Files & Updates needed was presented.

@wired420 - Is there a corresponding update for MeshUpdaterPro?
That's going to be a bit still. The built in functions for Visual Studio aren't capable of doing everything I need them to, so I'm gonna have to redo the whole thing as a custom form. I'll be able to copy paste a lot of the current functions pretty easily. So it MOSTLY should be a UI redesign.

I have lost the path that my toon follow =, I see the squiggly tubular path that EQ provides but I am not seeing the yellow, blue, straight line path that the Nav tool was providing. Any idea whats up?

@RedJim Mine sometimes disappears on seldom occasion, seemingly randomly. I find its actually still working, but I cannot see the blue/yellow line nor can /nav ui. If I unload and reload the plugin back often its back, but on occasion I log to char select and right back in and its fine again. My guess its a memory issue that sometimes hits.

Is there a way to coordinate efforts with the upcoming expansion for mesh updating? I understand the MeshGenerator will cover a lot of the basics, but there's generally always little things (or in the case of Cobalt Scar, like half the zone of broken mesh from seaweed) that could be improved upon.

yup we're looking to streamline that a little bit specifically for that reason

Is there a way to coordinate efforts with the upcoming expansion for mesh updating? I understand the MeshGenerator will cover a lot of the basics, but there's generally always little things (or in the case of Cobalt Scar, like half the zone of broken mesh from seaweed) that could be improved upon.
That seaweed stuff is rough. I poked at that a little bit and ultimately decided it wasn't worth the effort lol.

I could probably put the mesh generator in a blazor web app so people could all edit the same maps on a webpage if that is what you're talking about for collaboration. I'd need to get brainiac's permission to embed it on the mesh site but I doubt he'd have a problem with it. Also I'd have to give a couple people that wanted to keep up with it access to upload the new meshgen exes as they come out. (Everquest takes entirely too much time for me to deal with real life stuff when I'm playing it and I've had a lot of real life stuff to deal with lately. I'll probably be back more regularly during the winter). Maybe have people request access to edit and have to be approved, so people that are trolls or mess up maps by accident repeatedly can have their access revoked temporarily or permanently.

Could then put a drop down in mesh gen for different meshes. Like "default" and "colab". Cause I wouldn't want to force those group edited meshes on anyone.

I do still code on the mesh site from time to time. It's basically ready for having different packs. Like 3 lines of code and replacing a config variable with an array.

Last edited:
Created these tonight. I gave them a quick once over for pathing issues, but until we can test in game there's nothing to say these will either
A) be the final product for these zones
B) not have any issues.

But, getting these put out should give people an idea of what the zones look like, and provide meshes before it's an issue.

Attachments

• Terror of Luclin.zip
    40.4 MB · Views: 22
Software MeshUpdater (MQ2Nav Meshes)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back