• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - MacroQuest release party! (1 Viewer)

Redbot

🖥️💖
RedCents
88,152¢
Pronouns
He/Him
RedGuides is proud to announce the official release of MacroQuest, which we're now using as the base for Very Vanilla.

1642045818818.png
Instructions on downloading the new MacroQuest are here, and migration to the new MQ is discussed here.

A few years ago, the most experienced developers in our community got together over a shared realization that MacroQuest2 needed help. It was a codebase that had been spliced together by people of different skill levels and competing visions since 2003, and any serious attempt at modernization would require a near complete rewrite. However, they were bound by thousands of user macros and plugins that needed backwards compatibility, and on top of that, they didn't have access to the full source code. A large and tedious portion of the job would be figuring out what was missing.

After three years of daily commits and a few painful slogs with tech behind the scenes, brainiac, Knightly, dannuic, alynel and exspes have given us MacroQuest: a modern scripting platform that's light, fast, and easy to maintain. You may not notice any changes initially, except that everything runs smoother and more stable. However if you look a bit deeper you may notice a few benefits, such as...

All the ini, yaml, and cfg files for every piece of software on RedGuides are now in the same place: the "config" folder.
1642028379186.png

But you won't be visiting that folder very often, as you can now change settings in the GUI: /mqsettings
1642024029781.gif

We've also been granted a proper console, like most games released this millennium: ctrl + `
1642022225855.gif

Which leads to some useful options,
1642023080038.gif

Sic outlines these, and many other new features in his MQ video here,

RedGuides staff urges you to switch over now by grabbing the latest launcher, which ChatWithThisName outlines below.

Developers will notice the biggest changes: professional quality code, manageable third party libraries, Lua scripts, and many more as Knightly summarized here.

And if you're the type that enjoys looking under the hood, you'll be happy to know that MacroQuest is once again a free and open source project. For the first time in seven years I have access to our source code, and you do as well. My most exciting years running RedGuides were back in the open source days and I'm eager to get back! 🙌

If this were a corporate project in Silicon Valley, it would have cost in the high six to seven figures. When I asked brainiac about his motivation to spearhead this purely as a hobby, he said his greatest desire was to see everyone use the platform as a sandbox, to experience all the unique things people create like MAUI and Lootly. So the best way to pay the dev team back is to open up Visual Studio and unleash your creativity.

Congratulations to the MacroQuest dev & test team: brainiac, Knightly, dannuic, and everyone who helped and tested over the years.

And congratulations to the entire EverQuest playerbase, as you're about to experience a software renaissance.

Last edited:
Great work guys, it all looks amazing and I am glad i have been practicing with next the past few months... Now its time to learn Lua and more advanced coding processes. I am sure in time it will feel less overwhelming to the the less advanced guys like myself. My apologizes to Sic in advance for all the dumb questions forthcoming.

RedGuides is proud to announce the official release of MacroQuest, which we're now using as the base for Very Vanilla.

View attachment 36890

A few years ago, the most experienced developers in our community got together over a shared realization that MacroQuest2 needed help. It was a codebase that had been spliced together by people of different skill levels and competing visions since 2003, and any serious attempt at modernization would require a near complete rewrite. However, they were bound by thousands of user macros and plugins that needed backwards compatibility, and on top of that, they didn't have access to the full source code, which meant a large portion of the job would be figuring out what was missing. With daily commits and painful slogs with tech behind the scenes, brainiac, Knightly, dannuic, alynel and exspes have given us MacroQuest: a modern scripting platform that's light, fast, and easy to maintain.

You may not notice any changes initially, except that everything runs smoother and more stable. However if you look a bit deeper you may notice a few benefits, such as...

All the ini, yaml, and cfg files for every piece of software on RedGuides are now in the same place: the "config" folder.
View attachment 36881

But you won't be visiting that folder very often, as you can now change settings in the GUI: /mqsettings
View attachment 36875

We've also been granted a proper console, like most games released this millennium. ctrl + ~
View attachment 36873

View attachment 36874

Developers will notice the biggest changes: professional quality code, manageable third party libraries, Lua scripts, and many more as Knightly summarized here.

And if you're the type that enjoys looking under the hood, you'll be happy to know that MacroQuest is once again a free and open source project. For the first time in seven years I have access to our source code, and you do as well. My most exciting years running RedGuides were back in the open source days and I'm eager to get back! 🙌

If this was a for-profit project in Silicon Valley, it would have cost in the high six to seven figures. When I asked brainiac about his motivation to spearhead this purely as a hobby, he said his greatest desire was to see everyone use the platform as a sandbox, to experience all the unique things people create like MAUI and Lootly. So the best way to pay the dev team back is to open up Visual Studio and unleash your creativity.

Congratulations to the MacroQuest dev & test team: brainiac, Knightly, dannuic, and everyone who helped and tested over the years.

And congratulations to the entire EverQuest playerbase, as you're about to experience a software renaissance.

Damn sexy!

soo WHEN is the release Party?

We havent done a Best of 2021 MAcro/Plugin event yet. Perhaps we could combine the MQ release party with the award ceremony.

Free Troll Shaped Cookies to all!

Does this mean its live now? or is there a missing date? Thank you guys for all your work, I been using Next since March as an early adopter and love the hell out of it.

It's also worth mentioning that r1ptide and I updated the launcher.

You'll find that MacroQuest - Live (Next) and MacroQuest - Test (Next - Test) are now both available in the launcher, and Live Next is the default option.
We've also renamed Macroquest 2 to Legacy which will allow users still using MQ2 instead of Next an opportunity to get migrated over before there is no option.

1642060258467.png

Some of the additional features of the launcher that I'm sure users will find useful is

Luas are now available in the launcher for Macroquest - Live and Macroquest - Test
1642060482423.png

MySEQ is now available as an option for Live/Test version of Macroquest ("Next")
1642060571064.png

Launch Mesh Updater is now available in the Very Vanilla Tab for Macroquest - Live, and MacroQuest - Test (Once the MeshUpdater.exe is included with the release of MacroQuest)
1642060587738.png

Launch EQBCS with Macroquest - Live and Macroquest - Test
1642060662540.png

The bug where updating macros on "Next" not showing as updated was corrected.
You're no longer able to accidentally open another copy of EQBCS when launching from the launcher.

THANK YOU brainiac, Knightly, dannuic, alynel and exspes and everyone else who has given their time to make this possible, you guys are THE BEST!!! ❤️💕

View attachment 36890

A few years ago, the most experienced developers in our community got together over a shared realization that MacroQuest2 needed help. It was a codebase that had been spliced together by people of different skill levels and competing visions since 2003, and any serious attempt at modernization would require a near complete rewrite. However, they were bound by thousands of user macros and plugins that needed backwards compatibility, and on top of that, they didn't have access to the full source code, which meant a large portion of the job would be figuring out what was missing. With daily commits and painful slogs with tech behind the scenes, brainiac, Knightly, dannuic, alynel and exspes have given us MacroQuest: a modern scripting platform that's light, fast, and easy to maintain.

You may not notice any changes initially, except that everything runs smoother and more stable. However if you look a bit deeper you may notice a few benefits, such as...

View attachment 36881

View attachment 36875

We've also been granted a proper console, like most games released this millennium. ctrl + ~
View attachment 36873

View attachment 36874

If this was a for-profit project in Silicon Valley, it would have cost in the high six to seven figures. When I asked brainiac about his motivation to spearhead this purely as a hobby, he said his greatest desire was to see everyone use the platform as a sandbox, to experience all the unique things people create like MAUI and Lootly. So the best way to pay the dev team back is to open up Visual Studio and unleash your creativity.

Wonderful! :) Thank you!!!

Super cool! Glad to be a part of a community with such talented people who are also willing to share that talent. Thanks to all those named and not named for your hard work. Looking forward to the next 20 years!

Well done! I am truly appreciative of the open content approach and the dedicated "hobby" time the developers have spent on making all of our EQ experiences more fun. I can attest to the cost of such development for profit and the fact they are providing this service basically free if you are a community contributor is outstanding. Please remember that on patch days...

"Toss a coin to your Witcher Developer
O Valley of Plenty
O Valley of Plenty, oh
Toss a coin to your Witcher Developer
A friend of humanity"

This is awesome for sure. Just wondering any idea when MQ(next) will be available for test? I know the 64bit part is a lot to work around. At this point nothing works for test even legacy will not load.

This is awesome for sure. Just wondering any idea when MQ(next) will be available for test? I know the 64bit part is a lot to work around. At this point nothing works for test even legacy will not load.
that is a TBD. it is likely it will be a significant amount of time. way more than a couple days or even a couple weeks. > link to the discussion in the mq test build <

So I dont need to worry about migrating now correct? Or do I still need to do the migration?

I would really just go ahead and get it out of the way.

It's pretty painless for most people, and better to do it on your own timeline than to be scrambling one random day when you wake up to discover Legacy has been fully deprecated.

Installed Lua aren't showing up as installed or are not listed. All are there and working so far.
you have to "watch" a resource that you want to show in your launcher, this is the same with any macro that isn't "included"

This is what the main front page of the launcher shows

1642085903379.png

so if you wanted to have MAUI on there, for example,

you would go to > MAUI Overview Page <
and click "Watch"
1642085991391.png

Since the Live patch next week will likely also include a switch to 64 bit, can we expect a similar downtime?
dbg has said it would be a least a month between test 64bit and live 64bit when they decide to make the switch.

so we'll have to see.

but yes, the updates will be significant, and potentially downtime could be much longer than we're used to.

If you're feeling inclined to show the MQ Devs your appreciation we have a way to tip them > HERE <

IRL - MacroQuest release party!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back