• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Long Awaited Return - Looking to Box (1 Viewer)

heartchew

RedCents
20¢
Hey All!

Like many threads I've seen in here, I used to play EQ back in the day and have returned and started playing on the FV server. I started out leveling a mage to 62, then a ranger to 92, and I think i've found my main which is a 108 SK and growing. As I've got past 100+ it seems increasingly difficult to find groups, unless its a guildie who wants to powerlevel in FM. As such, i've started up 2 additional accounts and planned to do a 3 box. The idea was to box a shaman, rogue and shadowknight and with 3 mercs that would make 6. I've been Power leveling the shaman and rogue using the ranger, but as I've been thinking about it, I figure if im going to attempt to box, why not try to get a full 6 box going!

As i'm extremely new to the whole boxing concept, what are the opinions on going about getting into it and learning? Is there anything besides software that people would suggest? I was looking up information, and have created some macros to help out. It seems you can handle buffing and damage spell rotations with macros, but obviously miss out on all the the movement type benefits of some of the software programs that I've seen on regguides and have to constantly alt tab around. I'm pumped to get into it and be able to form my own little self sufficient groups but am looking for the most efficient way to do it.

From looking through information on this site and watching youtube videos on "sicvic"s youtube channel, the very vanillas / kiss assist software looks awesome and pretty much exactly what I need. In addition to kiss assist / very vanilla, do most people who group box also get the class specific programs? Is the kiss assist a broad type software that touches a little on everything and the class specific ones are, well, significantly more in depth as to how each class should be played?

Apologies for the broad questions, alot of information to get acquainted with! Looking forward to learning more and adding additional tools to the repertoire to make the EQ experience that much more enjoyable.

Welcome!

Kissassist is a fine way to start with MQ. You'll learn a lot about how the whole thing works and it can be used with all classes. There are tons of .ini files that you can use, as I'm sure you've already seen if you've watched some videos.

The various class plugins (like the CWTN plugins) mostly just make life easier. They are basically "set it and forget it". They tend to perform very well in 99% of situations. They aren't free, but you can try them out on the Test Server if you're so inclined. It's incorrect to say that the class plugins are more "in-depth" than Kissassist. It's actually the opposite. The plugins are more generic and, by design, don't have a lot of customization. If you want to get really deep control of what your toons are doing, you'll have to use something like Kissassist which lets you fine-tune every action.

One nice thing about starting with Kissassist is that you'll understand more about what's making the class plugins tick, which can help you when things are behaving exactly as you want. Although the plugins aren't using Kissasist under the hood, they are using a lot of the same concepts since it's all MQ at the end of the day.

So if you decide to start with Kissassist, you'll have a steeper learning curve but will become more of an expert on MQ. Starting with the class plugins will get you in fighting form faster, but you might not have a deep understanding of what's going on.

I should say that the CWTN plugins are really amazing and I can't imagine life without them, but I did start out using good old Kissassist. I think that's a pretty normal progression for people.

Either way, you'll have a blast!

Also, SK is a great cornerstone for any group, so you're off to a great start.

Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC
Joining Welcome Home GIF

What he said. I love KissAssist and attempt to write some decent ini as well. I find writing ini fun and challenging and is basically the only reason I use VV at this point.

I lost my main of seven years having that fun. I have no intention of ever being uber or at 120 and doing whatever I want ever again. What also need's to be said? Using VV isn't "safe". You're taking a chance going to get suspended and eventually banned.

Know what you are risking going to lose when you enter here. Don't try and pretend a week or month from now that you had no idea you could lose everything.

That being said, I love this site and the people here. There's tons of helpful, kind people using this site. I don't hold anyone here accountable for my own choices or actions.

Edit: Have a month of lvl 2.

52 years ago my mother told me I'd get hurt and killed riding a motorcycle. Then she helped a 7 year old buy one. In 52 years not dead. Did get run over once and spent a week in the hospital and wore a caste from my toes up to my crotch for six months however.
Thanks so much for that month! Your message spooked me! I think I'll start with kissassist on 3 or 4 off accounts and maybe bring in the main account they get to 105. To your message, does everyone who uses this software eventually get suspended / banned, or are there people who have successfully used it for extended periods with no issues? Also, is there different levels to using it that are easier / more difficult to get caught? I would assume using any sort of software and going fully afk for period would give you a far greater chance and getting caught versus being at your computer and just using it as assistance. Can DBG catch you automatically just based on the speed or your inputs and such?

does everyone who uses this software eventually get suspended / banned, or are there people who have successfully used it for extended periods with no issues?
It's a roll of the dice. I think the less automation you use infront of other players, the better chances you will have of not being caught. I made it 16 months and had 1 of 11 accounts given a 7 day suspension last week. I do run what I consider Quality of Life macros/plugins all of the time. I have never seen anything about an out right ban on a first offense but that's not to say it can't happen. Use your best judgement on where and how you use these tools. They make EQ fun to play for the solo guy who wants to do more than kill mobs that are 5-10 levels lower than him. Lastly, Rule #1. Don't discuss MQ ingame.

Question - Long Awaited Return - Looking to Box

Users who are viewing this thread

Back