• You've discovered RedGuides ๐Ÿ“• an EverQuest multi-boxing community ๐Ÿ›ก๏ธ๐Ÿง™๐Ÿ—ก๏ธ. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! ๐Ÿ‘‹
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Contest July Contest: What type of server would you create? (1 Viewer)

Redbot

๐Ÿ–ฅ๏ธ๐Ÿ’–
RedCents
88,102ยข
Pronouns
He/Him
redgnome.png
RedGnome by Mady G

Supposing you had the time and skill, what type of EverQuest server would you create?
To enter the /random drawing, just answer the above question or contribute to the discussion.

Examples:
A nostalgia server that dutifully replicates Gates of Discord as it was on the day of release.

A TLR (Time-Locked Regression) server, where you lose access to an expansion pack every few months.

A server with strict rules against 3rd party log readers.

๐ŸŽ
Prizes
๐ŸŽ

• ๐Ÿ–ผ A very old cloth map
    PXL_20220701_141833578.PORTRAIT.jpg
  • ๐Ÿ’Ž
    ๐Ÿ’Ž
    ๐Ÿ’Ž
    ๐Ÿ’Ž
    ๐Ÿ’Ž
    ๐Ÿ’Ž
    SIX KRONO
    for one lucky winner
  • ๐Ÿ”ฅ A red Zippo
    zippo.png
  • ๐Ÿ’ฐ
    A paid resource of your choice: Options include any CWTN plugin, Tradeskill script, or any other paid resource (One winner)
  • ๐Ÿญ
    Color username
    for both the forums and discord from the redcent shop. (One winner)
  • ๐Ÿ“†
    A Month of Redguides Level 2 access for you or a friend. Enjoy the Very Vanilla compile, organized scripts and strategies, and a great community (One winner)

Rules:
No purchase necessary. No more entries after July 31st, 11:59 PM PST.
Drawing will be held in-game on the Vox server, by use of /random. Time & location of the /random will be posted after contest ends, you are welcome to attend.
One answer to the question only, please. However multiple replies (and therefore multiple entries) are allowed so long as you are carrying on a normal on-topic conversation.
Shipping of physical items is to USA only, but exceptions can be made if the labels and forms aren't too difficult for Redbot to figure out. Otherwise an alternate prize will be selected.
Posting with multiple accounts, or screwing with the contest will lead to certain doom.

Last edited:
I would create a progression locked server that introduces scalability to content.

-Classic start, you can "unlock" Kunark by killing Naggy and Vox. To move to Velious, you need to kill PD, Trak etc.
-Content difficulty in instanced zones (AoC) scales to the group size. Minimum size is 6, scales up to normal, loot scales along with it. Less players? Less loot. Lockouts are normalized. So if you do it with 6 you're still locked against doing it with 54.
-Lower # fights would have stricter gearing / AA requirements and generally be more challenging, meaning most raids would require some bit of farming to have adequate gear to start tackling next tier.
-Normal loot rules to combat over gearing early tiers easily.
-Backflagging of some kind available a few expansions in.

Goal would be to give players choice on if they wanted to box solo or a more traditional raiding approach to game progression.

I would enhance the current live servers and make a Raid AOC that actually give solo or duo or molo players a chance to get raid currency or progression/flags.

Scaled down versions because not everyone in the game is in a raid guild or even has a desire to raid but might like the RK III spells for example.

In order to use the special Raid AOC a player cannot have any flags from the normal raids - that should keep out players who want to farm it. And those who do get this special flag can only get it like, twice. To stop them from farming.

What comes to mind is a "capture the flag" type of thing. Every quest has a flag associated with it. The last one to complete the quest gets the flag. Get rewards/tokens for the number of flags at the end of a week (or some other arbitrary timeframe). Perhaps need to have a scaling factor to encourage completing higher level/tougher quests, but the basic premise still applies. Last one gets all the credit for completing it. I could see extending it to raids to see which guilds/groups can delay completing the event to maximize the reward for the week.

Those are pretty cool ideas. I've always been fond of the idea that a group player (not a solo player) could progress similarly to raid players by putting in more time (over a period of time) to make up for the part about not getting together with 53 or 71 of your closest friends frequently. Incorporating things like tradeskills helps in that regard.

I'd add a catch-up mechanic that's different from Fellowship, where you can "tow" your friends along while they're offline at the expense of your own exp.
I'd add a mobile game component that allows you to progress your character while you can't play, but model it after the chance that your character could get killed and lose experience so there is risk involved.
But if I were going that route, I might make it so you can "loan out" your character as a mercenary. Your gear, aa, and skills stay the same, but your effectiveness is toned down so that an equivalent player would outperform you (by a small margin, not the gap that mercs have now). You could then also use this with another account to have your own characters as mercenaries in your group.
I'd remove stat augments completely. I hate dealing with augments. So the only augments would be ones that have effects on them and ONLY effects.

View attachment 40657
RedGnome by Mady G

Supposing you had the time and skill, what type of EverQuest server would you create?
To enter the /random drawing, just answer the above question or contribute to the discussion.

Examples:
A nostalgia server that dutifully replicates Gates of Discord as it was on the day of release.

A TLR (Time-Locked Regression) server, where you lose access to an expansion pack every few months.

๐ŸŽ
Prizes
๐ŸŽ

View attachment 40658
  • ๐Ÿ’Ž
    ๐Ÿ’Ž
    ๐Ÿ’Ž
    ๐Ÿ’Ž
    ๐Ÿ’Ž
    ๐Ÿ’Ž
    SIX KRONO
    for one lucky winner
  • ๐Ÿ”ฅ A red Zippo
    zippo.png
  • ๐Ÿ’ฐ
    A paid resource of your choice: Options include any CWTN plugin, Tradeskill script, or any other paid resource (One winner)
  • ๐Ÿญ
    Color username
  • ๐Ÿ“†
    A Month of Redguides Level 2 access for you or a friend. Enjoy the Very Vanilla compile, organized scripts and strategies, and a great community (One winner)

Rules:
Drawing will be held in-game on the Vox server, by use of /random. Time & location of the /random will be posted after contest ends, you are welcome to attend.
One answer to the question only, please. However multiple replies (and therefore multiple entries) are allowed so long as you are carrying on a normal on-topic conversation.
Shipping of physical items is to USA only, but exceptions can be made if the labels and forms aren't too difficult for Redbot to figure out. Otherwise an alternate prize will be selected.
Posting with multiple accounts, or screwing with the contest will lead to certain doom.
A pvp small races only server...Sorry Trolls and Ogres!

im gnome GIF

eq2 had a great "in theory" but shitty in execution thing, where users could use these zone templates, and mob templates, and make grindable zones with them.

some of them became the GO TO places for power leveling alts or helping newbies/return players catch up.

I would love a server that enabled users to have "modules" that other players could do. where the server did the hosting and the heavy lifting, but like kaen could have a "everyone is a druid" mod --- like "shrouds" or burd could have a "everything is broken and nothing works" module that other people could play

you'd be able to have a really cool server and server community like that - without some of the heavy drama that comes with "too many chefs"

I'm not sure anything like this is even possible, really - but maybe with a clever use of git?

View attachment 40657
RedGnome by Mady G

Examples:

๐ŸŽ
Prizes
๐ŸŽ

View attachment 40658
  • ๐Ÿ’Ž
    ๐Ÿ’Ž
    ๐Ÿ’Ž
    ๐Ÿ’Ž
    ๐Ÿ’Ž
    ๐Ÿ’Ž
    SIX KRONO
    for one lucky winner
  • ๐Ÿ”ฅ A red Zippo
    zippo.png
  • ๐Ÿ’ฐ
  • ๐Ÿญ
    Color username
  • ๐Ÿ“†

Rules:
counter-strike moments GIF

Counterstrike DE_Dust with Gnomes, Hobbits, and Dworfs...!

eq2 had a great "in theory" but shitty in execution thing, where users could use these zone templates, and mob templates, and make grindable zones with them.

some of them became the GO TO places for power leveling alts or helping newbies/return players catch up.

I would love a server that enabled users to have "modules" that other players could do. where the server did the hosting and the heavy lifting, but like kaen could have a "everyone is a druid" mod --- like "shrouds" or burd could have a "everything is broken and nothing works" module that other people could play

you'd be able to have a really cool server and server community like that - without some of the heavy drama that comes with "too many chefs"

I'm not sure anything like this is even possible, really - but maybe with a clever use of git?
this could be really cool... like a landmarkesk but more templatized could rock

a toolkit for player made zones would be bad ass...

Assaults/Defenses on the neighborhood - houses - guilds

Arrange your fortifications in the plots to withstand the assaults from rival guilds/neighborhoods.

Mix pvp with the RVR DAOC style, but instead of entire realm, just the neighborhood vs neighborhood.

A server with current content, but no more instanced versions, the raid mobs are on random 1-3 day random timers and those that require an event start (example GD raid) go live into the zone like the old ring war. Could bring back additional fun if it was a pvp server.

Iโ€™d make one with a real Priest of Discord. Any zone you can fully pop with names in it.

No Max level, just zones all scale to group average. Expos and Group Tasks are chosen via Easy Normal Hard. Loot and items dropped are dropped % to what you pick.

RG friendly.

Expansions are fully there all to Live. BUT toons canโ€™t go to any zones past their current raid kill achievements.

One like live for current content, but it is made into a squad game where you can earn or pick up members through questing (like the old Final Fantasy Games) or even overseer achievements, where they are like Mercs but with better functionality/customization and gear. You can swap them in and out in a personal guild hall type of function at a banker, up to six in a group (1 live player). Also the raid limit is increased again beyond 54 and you can bring them on raids.

I would be interested in this for sure. Lately, I have barely been logging in to Live or Test.. just been feeling uninspired.

While I have never been suspended, I would like to play on a server were I'm not worried about it.
  • I would like to not have to sub or buy krono just to catch up my AA's on different toons.
  • Turn at least on neighborhood into a PVP area and model it after so sort of tower defense model. This would be wild.
  • This may exist but have a way to earn/upgrade those l33t mount/familiar buffs without having to pay for them.

I really like the sound of these two ideas:
I'd add a catch-up mechanic that's different from Fellowship, where you can "tow" your friends along while they're offline at the expense of your own exp.
I'd add a mobile game component that allows you to progress your character while you can't play, but model it after the chance that your character could get killed and lose experience so there is risk involved.

This also gets my vote.
No Max level, just zones all scale to group average. Expos and Group Tasks are chosen via Easy Normal Hard. Loot and items dropped are dropped % to what you pick.

-Taz

I am super Old School. So I might want to go back to April of 1999 or April of 2000. With that said, I guess maybe some sort of hybrid TLP. When I say hybrid maybe you start with both EQ and Kunark and then advance slowly through expansions. I guess with 20 some odd expansions you cannot unlock 1 per year or else that would take forever, but maybe there is a compromise time for unlocking. I miss the old days.

Be well. Happy gaming.

I am attempting to adhere to the already existing game without drastically modifying the core. I will include at the end of this post, what I would change about the game.

Live Server with the following changes:
  • No restrictions on RGVV Macroquest. ISBoxer, Gameparsers, etc A definitive list will be available and that software will be allowed. GM's trained on what is allowed and what isn't. No guesswork involved.
  • No server transfers on or off the server. Everyone starts out at level 1. No Heroic characters can be purchased. Lower level gear drop rate is increased by 50%.
  • All races can play any class. You want a gnome bard, play one. You want an Iksar Cleric or Berserker? Choose it.
  • All gear is tradeable, including raid loot.
  • Change of Defiant gear. No more 15 different iterations, you farm the initial Defiant gear and it scales to level 60. Next set Conqueror gear and scales to 90. Next set Vanquisher and scales to 120. Mission/Quest/Raid armor will be better versions/variations of the Defiant gear and give alternatives.
  • Kronos are not tradeable, sellable, barterable, etc. No more of these 16 kronos Blood-Soaked items. You can still buy/sell Kronos on other servers to use on your account for gold access, but cannot use it as currency.
  • Group Missions take the classes present into consideration and offer loot for just those classes, pulled from a pool of all the available loot in that expansion for that tier of mission.
  • Scaleable raids in two settings. 12man and 24man. Difficulty levels for these raids as well. Normal, Heroic, Insane. Gear drops are still the same, just scaled differently. For instance - Reapers BP of Excellence (Normal), Reapers BP of Excellence (Heroic), etc. Still same name but with a different flag on the end, better stats, and different color.
  • Everyone has access to the Heroes Forge at the start. Any in game item dropped can be converted into a Heroes Forge ornament. Look the way you want to. Want a lvl 15 wicked looking shield? Convert it.
  • Every quest/mission etc is scaled to group. No more of these individual missions that must be done 6 times over for boxed toons. If you are solo, fine. If you are grouped, it is a group task and items needed drop for all at one time. If you need 10 of an item, all 6 players get that item.
  • Progression locked. Expansions cannot be unlocked until every boss from previous expansion has been killed.
  • Actual NPC buffbots in PoK, Guild Lobby. Free buffs for all.
  • Bind point locations more accessible to farming areas you are currently visiting.

Core changes: Totally revamped Tradeskills system. So many ideas on this, but might be a thread on it's own.

I would create a server similar to FV in that most items would be tradable, but I would add a few features.
1) I would institute mercs for every class.
2) Mercs will give a huge negative exp loss.
3) Players can do an offline mode similar to bazaar that allows them to be hired out as mercs. When hired as a merc you don't lose or gain exp, but you do gain a portion of the money dropped.
4) Increase the % chance of random loot based on group size, however, that size is based in IP address. (to encourage grouping and not boxing)
5) Have sliding scale raids that drop loot relevant to the size of the raid. (ie: 40 man raid drops +4 item, 30 man +3, 20 +2 etc, so the gear is not as good at the lower tiers but still allows players raiding experience)
6) Have various difficulty of raids with corresponding gear. (like what WoW did)
7) Have no lvl limit for grouping, however, exp would be based on a specific metric like healing done or dmg done) (this would greatly reduce PLing)
8) Have 1 epic quest that has rewards throughout the quest that results in epic, 1.5, 2.0 etc.

I would create a server with current content that would encourage using mods, macros, and automated toons. Quests would grant a nice amount of xp, coin and a really good or rare item like armor, nonvisable item, or a weapon for the specific class that is doing the quest.
I like this idea also.
Oh and Spells and discs are autogranted when you level. but you need to buy Rk2, Rk 3 is raid dropped still.

I would create a server where ALL dropped items are tradeable. That way it would be possible to get raid level gear without all of the time sunk into raiding. I would also make all quests work with pre-looted items. It always annoys me when I have an item but can't use it.

I would create a server with hardcore mode enabled. If you die your character is simply deleted, no corpse, no loot left behind, name deleted from server.

On this server if you hit max level you get the opportunity to "prestige" but lose all gear and money in the process. You get no rewards other than a title next to your name that indicates your prestige level.

All loot is no-trade and you have to solve a captcha at random intervals to avoid people "safe scumming" to max level with "alts" protecting them.

To keep it fresh I would run it in seasons and some real awesome prizes for the winners at the end of each season, or an extra inventory slot or something.

I'd create a REDGUIDES server with rules/progression to be determined by the RG Server Council and voted on as to when Kunark/Velious etc arrive.

I would mostly follow the rules of 1999 and just dont nerf the good stuff. Manastones and Dark Elf Masks and Wizards who go Boom!

I'd love a server that Redguides had creative control over - where the "RG council" could create/approve scripts for quests etc. I already want to create a Troll King who lives in Grobb (Greatest Zone in EQ!) and the good races could come and try to kill him - but he would be Uber hard!

There should be no restrictions on MQ/Isboxer users - as long as they abide by a "Dont be an ASS Rule" and be considerate of other folks.
But then how would you control the Wankers who decide to camp Mana stones 24/7 7 days a week? You awaken the sleeper and he spawns and kills your toons and de-level them 10 levels...or If mob spawn = instadeath then spawn somewhere else.
or would you need to kill connections to server after 8 hrs.

There would need to be some sort of rules regarding camping stuff - but Ban Hammer should not be the first choice.

Perhaps the best thing about having a Redguides Server would be the community.

More instancing early on to avoid bottlenecks and let folks play on their own schedule. Sleeper being awakened doesn't matter-give option of instance for pick of version. Flagging for accounts rather than a character to help with backlogging and trying different alts/group makeup.

And of course full authorization to use anything from this site.

I would love to create a Diablo Style server where each expansion is an Act and completing certain requirements in each expansion would open up the next one for the individual character. So for example in classic you might need to kill Nagafen and Vox and that would open up Kunark. It would be cool if lots of people were working on different expansion content at the same time. I'm sure some people would race through to the end. But what would be cool is if a guild were having trouble, higher level people could come help them.

Nice contest! Cool ideas all.

If I had the "time" and the "skills" then most certainly I'd have the "money" to build a server on the most powerful multicore CPUs with Terabytes of RAM and massive NVMe storage arrays hooked to multiple 100Gb fiber backbones with everything redundant with hot failover. (I'm thinking your typical Google datacenter!)

Then I'd recruit the best Devs in the industry and pay them bonuses based on customer satisfaction and customer interaction. (Huge bonuses for eliminating geometry, autofollow, and collision issues!)

I'd have them create multiple servers just like now but with enhanced and easier server transfer capabilities. So that a person could try different rule sets by simply moving from one server to another. My favorite rule set would involve making boxing with Macroquest easier and completely legitimate.

For example:

Single character would be allowed up to 5 simultaneous mercs.
Every zone could be capable of private instancing by command for any 6 characters.
Raids could use mercs. (6 characters could form a 36 character raid with mercs!)
EXP and loot sharing for any character added to the hate list at any time. (Any character in a zone could participate in a kill and get rewards for helping!)
Multiple server databases similar to Magelo character profiles but including a character's DPS and automation configurations.
Server GMs that go around and help people finish quests or reward them for really cool INI and configuration wizardry.
@Sic in charge of all GMs!

OK, the drugs are wearing off now... but it was fun while it lasted!

I would create a server similar to FV in that most items would be tradable, but I would add a few features.
1) I would institute mercs for every class.
2) Mercs will give a huge negative exp loss.
So we would have more merc classes available but be punished for using them? Kinda passive-aggressive there huh, must have had a bad experience with your merc๐Ÿ˜€
๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

Contest July Contest: What type of server would you create?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back