• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Problem - Issue with Disappearing Text (EQ Drawing Limitation) (1 Viewer)

RedCents
104¢
Hi Guys and Gals,
I have an issue with my text disappearing from a lot of my windows when running MQ2. It is not on all 6 of my toons but effects 3 or 4 on almost every session. What happens is the find window text will disappear, Vendor item list will disappear, main chat window text will disappear. Things like the name and price of item you have selected to buy from a vendor will display. So if you click through the invisible list it will tell you "that will be 25 plat for the spiderling eye". I do use a player window UI but I have tried every combination of using default and restarting. The only thing that fixes it, is to close MQ2, which is pure torture...lol. I am hoping someone has had this issue and can offer a solution. My PhD. in Google has failed me on this one.

Solution
why does everything go blank when i open the map and try to click on other things like load a spell gem with the right click option on the gem window chat goes blank, this was happening before the patch today but now its hitting all windows. i dont know if this is happening for anyone else but its kind annoying to have to close the map to look at other windows when using the map to naviget places
This is a pretty frequent WTF for new MQ users.

this is an eq display limitation - you are displaying more things than eq can display. this isn't a root MQ problem, just the enhancements that MQ gives (almost always mq2map) can cause it to manifest.

so if you turned off names, for example, you'd likely fall below that "amount of stuff...
Could be the max text cap of EQ itself. EQ can only produce so much text/characters per screen including MQ2 stuff like the map labels. Closing the map or zooming in fix it? You can also limit what is labeled via /mapfilter command.

Usually closing or restricting the size of some text windows will help too.

Just wanted to say thank you for the information in this thread. This problem was driving me insane last night and seemed so random.

There are years worth of accumulated knowledge / solutions on this forum, so just encouraging newer folks like me that it's worth searching through these threads, regardless of the age. If this is considered a necro, sorry!

I am having a problem that started when I installed Redguides. I run 2 monitors, one is direct to the computer and the 2nd is attached through a USB to HDMI adapter. When I installed Redguide, I started having video problems. When I open any window in the game. such as the guild roster, spell spots or the bazaar (after searching for an item), the window only shows a small amount of stuff, not everything. As I cursor down in the list, I see more, but still not all of it. I am running Windows 10, have 8gig of memory. I can supply more info if you need it.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. Please help me fix this problem.

Thank you

I am having a problem that started when I installed Redguides. I run 2 monitors, one is direct to the computer and the 2nd is attached through a USB to HDMI adapter. When I installed Redguide, I started having video problems. When I open any window in the game. such as the guild roster, spell spots or the bazaar (after searching for an item), the window only shows a small amount of stuff, not everything. As I cursor down in the list, I see more, but still not all of it. I am running Windows 10, have 8gig of memory. I can supply more info if you need it.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. Please help me fix this problem.

Thank you
do you have your map open?

everquest has an actual limit of "stuff" you can display on your screen at any one time --- if you have your map open with mq2map loaded, and labels and such you can reach that limit and then end up seeing stuff missing.

you can turn off labels on your map, or change your filters and such to accomodate

do you have your map open?

everquest has an actual limit of "stuff" you can display on your screen at any one time --- if you have your map open with mq2map loaded, and labels and such you can reach that limit and then end up seeing stuff missing.

you can turn off labels on your map, or change your filters and such to accomodate
I tried it both ways. With multiple windows open and only 1 window open and I still have the problem. I even disconnected the 2nd monitor to see if it was too much for my computer and just used the one that is plugged in direct. Still had the problem

/mapfilter named

usually fixes it
yeah this was my suggestion - but yaz said it is regardless of if the map is open or not

I'm not recalling anything else that will cause the behavior when too many items are displayed on the screen.

its not *just* an mq2map thing - the same thing can happen if you have your bank open with all very large containers and your regular bags etc. all those slots can make other pieces of your screen "disappear". its the maximum amount of "stuff" eq can display.

Last edited:
why does everything go blank when i open the map and try to click on other things like load a spell gem with the right click option on the gem window chat goes blank, this was happening before the patch today but now its hitting all windows. i dont know if this is happening for anyone else but its kind annoying to have to close the map to look at other windows when using the map to naviget places

This is a pretty frequent WTF for new MQ users.

this is an eq display limitation - you are displaying more things than eq can display. this isn't a root MQ problem, just the enhancements that MQ gives (almost always mq2map) can cause it to manifest.

so if you turned off names, for example, you'd likely fall below that "amount of stuff to display" threshold and then go back to normal.
You can open your map (likely already open), and unclick "Labels" and it will likely go away

you can replicate this without MQ if you have a very large bank filled with items where you can get blank spaces where stuff should be - it is because too many "things" are being displayed at once

Last edited:
Solution
this is an eq display limitation - you are displaying more things than eq can display.

so if you turned off names, for example, you'd likely fall below that "amount of stuff to display" threshold and then go back to normal.

you can replicate this without MQ if you have a very large bank filled with items

Wow could never figure out why this happened. And it’s been happening a lot more lately. Started thinking the display issue (thought it was nvidia driver related) was getting worse. So the best solution to turn off names?

Wow could never figure out why this happened. And it’s been happening a lot more lately. Started thinking the display issue (thought it was nvidia driver related) was getting worse. So the best solution to turn off names?
That is one way to lower the amount of "stuff drawn.

Names, map labels, etc. Anything that draws less stuff.

Remember it is an eq limitation

/hidecorpse

That usually helps, but some zones (ferrett, the dream (sp)) will always cause when you open the map with default settings. Another easy one to toggle off is “/mapf ground”

Hi all :)

Just signed up and ran MQ for the first time. I am having an issue with my in game UI. There is not chat text, I cannot see what I am typing and all windows in both default UI and custom do the same thing.

I've done some searching but have not come across an answer.

UI Issue.png

You should try to reload your ui.
EQ is limited with the things it can display at the same time too. Specially if you have you map open with all mobs on it.
Some text etc can disapear.

Hi there :)

I have done that several times with the default UI and Krome UI.
The second I enable MQ all my windows lose their text, including the MQ window and the plugins window. Freaking weird I tell ya!

Thought it may be the Nahimic service but same deal even with that disabled and the executables end tasked.

Hi there :)

I have done that several times with the default UI and Krome UI.
The second I enable MQ all my windows lose their text, including the MQ window and the plugins window. Freaking weird I tell ya!

Thought it may be the Nahimic service but same deal even with that disabled and the executables end tasked.
did you try closing the map?

@Robban & @MrPatate Thank you both very much! It seems PoK and Map on = disaster hahaha. Wasn't my brightest moment setting this up in PoK :wtf:

Tested Guild Lobby with map and it was fine and then PoK without map is now fine.

Thanks again for the fast and helpful replies for this nublet.

May depend on your computer settings or age as well. I have an older computer I use, when I display everything on the map it freezes for a few minutes, my newest gaming computer can open the map with everything on it without missing a beat.

when I have many UI windows open, not all information are displayed in the windows. Only when I click on one do they reappear in the other window.
i use the standard ui

anyone can help with that?

Too many labels and such on screen. Likely your map is showing too many npcs.

You'll want to close the map or adjust filtering. You can even just click off "show labels"

This is an eq limitation

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently running 3 characters, but even if its only a single person logged in the UI will get really bugged out when purchasing anything or Advanced loot popping up and stuff basically starts blanking out entirely. Reload UI fixes for a moment but quickly returns to broken.

Only happens with MQ is running > Anyone else encounter this?

Problem - Issue with Disappearing Text (EQ Drawing Limitation)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back