• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Instance Scaling Question (1 Viewer)

Gekko

Seasoned veteran member
RedCents
4,554¢
Hi all,

Quick question for discussion. First my disclaimer. I did search on "instance scaling" but did not see exactly the topic I am going pose in a moment. I used the "Discuss" prefix because I did not see a Theory Crafting prefix

Briefly, let me share some background that caused me to think about instance scaling. In other posts people have mentioned that instances like Gribble's HA's and Into the Temple (B) scale. In a post from 2019 one person commented that he/she was able to solo and clean house in Into the Temple (B) with no issue at 110. When I went there last week, there was a lot of yellow and the golems were red. The other day in another thread where I was asking about exp mismatch, Kaen's comment about Gribble's was:

you should definitely not worry about this, i believe the level max for that expansion was 100? so once you hit that well that is the max spawn for gribbles, and eventually your shd is gonna start making more exp because of early aggro bonus and what not, so dont worry about it, just get them levels

If I recall correctly the cap for TBM was 105, so it made me start to think about instance scaling and expansion level caps.

Sorry for the long intro. Here is the meat of the matter. Do instances scale within a certain range? For example, let's say an instance in an expansion is rated for levels A to B. You come along and your party is level C. If C<A, does the instance scale down but only to Level A? So now if your group is Level C and C>B, then you have hit the instance cap and the highest the instance will be is Level B? To try to summarize. do the instances scale but only within a certain range, and if you are outside the range the instance will be set to either the absolute minimum or absolute maximum?

Sorry about that. I had too much free time on my hands to think about this.

Be well. Happy theory crafting.

Last edited:
Instances stop scaling at whatever the max level was for that expansion. You will get conflicting information because this was changed for awhile and instances would scale infinitely. This is no longer the case.

So in the case of Gribbles (CotF) they stop scaling at 100. TBM stops at 105. If you are above the cap they just go to the cap.

Instances stop scaling at whatever the max level was for that expansion. You will get conflicting information because this was changed for awhile and instances would scale infinitely. This is no longer the case.

So in the case of Gribbles (CotF) they stop scaling at 100. TBM stops at 105. If you are above the cap they just go to the cap.

But suppose you are below the minimum level or is there a minimum? Like I said Into the Temple (B) was yellow and red. Is that normal?

Yes. This is normal scaling. Expect them to be mostly white to red until you hit 106. Some missions scale slightly differently, so it's not out of the question you'll see plenty of blues. - The golems in Into the Temple in particular will continue to be red the whole way through.

EDIT: There is a minimum level for each mission, as well, which of course changes from expansion to expansion, but it will always scale to the highest you have in zone or its cap.

Last edited:
Yes. As stated above scaling stops at max level for that expansion. GD I think at 120 is all light blue. I would have to check again, been a bit.

Avian and Shadow,

Thank you. The only reason I am itching to do Into the Temple (B) is to unlock the Aug vendor. After he is unlocked, I am in no rush for TBM progression if it is over my head. As I type the group is 87.

Be well. Thanks again.

Avian and Shadow,

Thank you. The only reason I am itching to do Into the Temple (B) is to unlock the Aug vendor. After he is unlocked, I am in no rush for TBM progression if it is over my head. As I type the group is 87.

Be well. Thanks again.
If I remember correctly, that was a PITA because supposedly it would scale down to 75, but my experience it didn't. I had to do a lot of split pulling/lulling.

If I remember correctly, that was a PITA because supposedly it would scale down to 75, but my experience it didn't. I had to do a lot of split pulling/lulling.

It's done. It's over. After I finished a Gribble's circuit, I said what the hell, let me check out Into the Temple (B). Between the friendly buffs from the guild lobby and whatever else I had from my group, the SK was sitting around 65k HP. The entire group was level 87. Everything was white or yellow. The yellows were level 89 so the enchanter couldn't mez them. His current mez tops out at 88. The golems were red and level 91. I went straight north and in the temple stuck to the left side. I did manage to kill 2 red golems that were in the way but each fight was an on edge affair for my little group. I think at least once I was down to around 10% HP. MQ2Cleric and MQ2Eskay pulled through. Tier 2 aug vendors are unlocked and I hope I never have to go through this again :)

Be well. Happy gaming.

It's done. It's over. After I finished a Gribble's circuit, I said what the hell, let me check out Into the Temple (B). Between the friendly buffs from the guild lobby and whatever else I had from my group, the SK was sitting around 65k HP. The entire group was level 87. Everything was white or yellow. The yellows were level 89 so the enchanter couldn't mez them. His current mez tops out at 88. The golems were red and level 91. I went straight north and in the temple stuck to the left side. I did manage to kill 2 red golems that were in the way but each fight was an on edge affair for my little group. I think at least once I was down to around 10% HP. MQ2Cleric and MQ2Eskay pulled through. Tier 2 aug vendors are unlocked and I hope I never have to go through this again :)

Be well. Happy gaming.
Good to hear you got through it. IIRC I waited until I had a fresh mez spell so that I could still mez the whites/yellows, it take a bit to get through it depending on your luck with drops.

The biggest issue I had with CotF and TBM scaling was the Enchanter spell levels. There would always be gaps where I couldn't charm or couldn't mez certain mobs and you just need to get creative to push through.

some mobs don't scale well btw, you specifically mentioned TBM - the giant golem/poo-monsters are definitely overtuned as scaled monsters just FYI, I would try and avoid them

Avian and Shadow,

Be well. Thanks again.
It only unlocks the regular aug vendors - it does not unlock the ones on Wilcher Rifunuse

It only unlocks the regular aug vendors - it does not unlock the ones on Wilcher Rifunuse
07e77648-39f0-4135-897e-3f4cf5cc5dd3_text.gif

Discussion - Instance Scaling Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Back