• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - I'm really bad at PL'ing! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
RedCents
775¢
Hi guys,

So last night I was experimenting on how I can go about power leveling, now this didn't work out too well. I spent 2 hours and only got level 9.
Wanting to know if there is any druid PL guides our there you can link me please? Best zones to use, also any macros to setup/use?

I am currently using 3 accounts, I have a 95 enchanter 94 druid and using the other account for the new bard.

Appreciate any guidance.

p.s just checked and the server did a rollback so here I am at level 2 again. Nice.

Basic druid PL is to put on the best damage shield, regen and HP buffs you can get and go pull a bunch of mobs. Use the druid to heal out-of-group when necessary. Also, use AoE stuff on the PLee because you need to do at least 1 point of damage that isn't from the DS.

Though, on another note, aren't there macros here that will automate all the way to level 10?

The best PL method from lvl 1-65 is through use of your Damage Shield. In your druids case, Thorns. To get started, if you're a class with riposte, you'll want to equip two shields/non-damage primary and a shield. Eye of Xygos, from original VP, works great in the primary. Then you'll need to establish an AE class, Mage is the way to go with a level 1 AE spell, bard AE is spotty. You'll pull a train of mobs in a starting zone. Cresent Reach will work up to level 20-25. Pull as many mobs as you can, social aggro doesnt work in these newbie zones, so you'll need to utilize a non-damage method to gather aggro. AE slow, hate spells, etc. Bring the train back to your AE toon and it's PL group members, turn on your DS, ensure aggro is locked on the swarming toon, and nuke once or twice with your AE toon. Watch your spell casting and check to see if you had any resists in the swarm. If so, AE once more. Hopefully you hit the resisting mobs. Then let the swarm kill themselves on the DS. You can sit repeatedly to drop all defense stats and the swarm will die faster. Watch your health as you get into the heavier zones. As the swarm eat themselves alive on the DS, the group/individuals that did the most damage to the mobs will gain the exp. Any mobs that didn't get hit and are killed by the DS will just poof when they're dead, zero exp awarded and nothing to loot.
I utilize my bard to DS Swarm from level 1-75. Then I take over DS Swarming with my SK in zones like The Grounds until the toon reaches level 85 and is ready to group with a level 115. Over the course of this anniversary event, I've power leveled 3 new box toons to complete my 6 box team. All went from 1 to 115 in about 4-7 days.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
One of the best ways I've found for time versus rewards for me, goes as follows for PLing.
Setup Ranger/Shm/Druid/Mage/Enchanter/Bard

I use a 6 box setup for PL'ing (I do you don't have to). My PL group makeup Ranger has stacking dmg shield with other classes (who I use for pulls snare ftw), SHM for Slow proc buff = major aggro on Ranger and of course buffs, Druid (Emergency DS/Ports/Buffs, Mage for Coth and emergency dmg shield, Enchanter (which is optional) but I bring him around for tash specifically. Why? Because Tash is great for the bard who I normally create to use for doing the dmg, I generally don't use AE Pots ever, as making a bard is free and easy. Last Character is Bard for stacking dmg shield buffs, and AE slow/snare if for some reason I need it.

I use DS the entire time, and it works out great. I can generally on regular server (no bonus) I save LOTD for PoF; I can get 1-50 in roughly an hour if there's no one in my way. 50 to 60 is about 45 mins, 60 to 70, well if you time it right, and camp your characters out between pulls, you can be 70 within an hour and half to two hours.

My route:

CR 1-20
Blight 20-35
Velks 35-50 (debuffs become really important here Tash/Malo from here on out)
Blood Fields 50-60 (sometimes I stay till 65) Its slower, but sometimes PoF is camped. Its easy pulls and easy money.
PoF C2 60-70
Dragon Scale Hills 70 - 75, this is where you can use a heroic paladin, which i'm still working towards getting up, group it with a heroic wizard, or a merc whichever you wish, let the macro do the work. If you plan to PL here, you'll have to be a little more active with your group, but you should be close to group with your main group by then. Or if this is your main group, get to 75 and then go do TBM content, run the instances get marks for gear or go to House of Thule starting at 80.

Anyhow, I hope this helps, this is a route I've used for years, and I finally got it down to where i'm really happy with how it works, and the time frame I get things done. So, I figured i'd post it up and share it. Best of luck!

Also, I know this is a bit more information you were looking for, but maybe you can use this to help in the future!

Great information here!

I was using the bard to go and pull to my druid while using the PBAE song, so by my understanding, use the druid to gather the mobs, pull to the group using (ae snare?), cast DS on bard and use AE song on plee?

On another note, I have noticed these Pl'ers on TLP servers that use stuns and what not to PL groups, how does this work and with what classes? What type of set-up is needed?

Thanks again!

I just ran a group up to 115 last week, for the first part I did:

to some basic stuff I use:
/mac newtoon
level 2-11 I used
/mac level10
11-25 took 5 mins in Cresent reach skelly cave, using CLR Reverse DS.--basically buff the level 2 with high hp buff, then pull all skellies with reverse DS and dump them on the lowbie (you get about 5 levels a pull and they almost instant respawn)
then did the same thing for
25-40 skellies in blightfire moors
then from 41-70 I switched to 115 SK using wormslayer and /mac hitonce ( or bard AOE, etc), so basically pull the whole zone run back to plvl group, face away from mobs, hit harmonious spell, had clr heal me once when all adds were in range, then run out with 1 plvlie and AOE or /mac hitonce, then just sit down with sk.
41-70 mech guardian sk plvl

total time to 70 took me about 5 hrs, but I also took group to pok a couple times and used /mac scribe (to get all spells/abilities) also /mac cskillup (to level up there skills)

never played a druid so not sure if that helps or not.

I just ran a group up to 115 last week, for the first part I did:

to some basic stuff I use:
/mac newtoon
level 2-11 I used
/mac level10
11-25 took 5 mins in Cresent reach skelly cave, using CLR Reverse DS.--basically buff the level 2 with high hp buff, then pull all skellies with reverse DS and dump them on the lowbie (you get about 5 levels a pull and they almost instant respawn)
then did the same thing for
25-40 skellies in blightfire moors
then from 41-70 I switched to 115 SK using wormslayer and /mac hitonce ( or bard AOE, etc), so basically pull the whole zone run back to plvl group, face away from mobs, hit harmonious spell, had clr heal me once when all adds were in range, then run out with 1 plvlie and AOE or /mac hitonce, then just sit down with sk.
41-70 mech guardian sk plvl

total time to 70 took me about 5 hrs, but I also took group to pok a couple times and used /mac scribe (to get all spells/abilities) also /mac cskillup (to level up there skills)

never played a druid so not sure if that helps or not.

Oh there is macros to do this? So for example if I was to type /mac level10, it does it all by it's self?
What type of group set up will I need to run these macs?

Thanks for this info, really helpful!

so /mac level10
does a red wine quest in Freeport.. all I do is as soon as i'm done with newtoon.mac I zone to pok, hand my new toon 2k pp and then run /mac level10

the mac takes you to freeport buys the stuff and turns it in, takes a min or 2 and then your level 10. it's not fighting or anything like that.

*not sure if this mac might have an issue if your say a DE or something hated in Freeport. If so I would just go straight to the CLR Reverse DS part in cresent.

That's really impressive, will defenitly look into that.

Off topic question.

What could I use to box all these characters? I have noticed I tend to glitch out sometimes when I load up 3 accounts and just use ALT TAB?

Edit: Found this software called ISBoxer? Is this what you fellas use?

Last edited:
@Zatox dont bother leveling them up at low levels, just use the charm quest. I forgot what it’s called, but you invis your toons and run them to a cave in icefall glacier? a few zones away. Pick up a groundspawn, then turn it in on the second floor above the bank in CR. Instant level 17 I think from level 1.

Someone help me out, because I can’t remember the name.

Also load the lowest level root your druid has and as soon as your toon does damage root the mob and keep them rooted so they don't run. You can chain pull mobs eventually when you get better at it. Make a target button for the toon you are PLing and an assist button for heals and roots. Focus on one toon being in combat so you don't have to bounce around trying to heal different toons. Park the rest of the group by the druid. I tend to find a spot near a hill so the druid can see everyone.

At level 9 I would probably go to Kurns, run around with the druid and aggro the entire ground floor, back yourself into a corner so you don't get pushed around. Then you can heal yourself to generate some aggro, then cast the damage shield on yourself. Run someone from the group you are PL'ing up to near the hoard of mobs and cast an AOE. If the character you want to PL doesn't have an AOE, just put a caster or bard in the group with them to do the AOE. It only needs to hit each mob for 1 damage to get the exp. Don't be tempted to pull stuff too high level or the newbie get resisted on their AOE, so it is better to pull lots of yellow cons or barely red. Also turn off any subtlety / casting aggro reduction AAs on the druid so their self heals will build enough aggro to hold all the mobs. One pull can get you several levels, then pull the higher floors. At 20 ish I would go to Unrest or somewhere. You really want to focus on undeads because they don't run when injured which ruins the whole thing.

At higher levels the DS can be cast before you pull, at lower levels the mobs can die before you even pull them back. Also once your newbie has done the damage to each mob with an AOE or the one hit macro, you can keep hammering the sit button on your druid. It will let the mobs hit the druid's ds without dodging and it will kill the mobs fast. Although it can make the druid take a fair bit of damage once you reach a certain level of mob.

I'd do it in stages with just Druid DS. I had to PL a cleric way back when, but I'm sure these zones are still worth something

1st place: 1 to 10 crushbone
2nd place: 10 to 20 south or north ro (i can't remember which) whereever there are KoS orc camps/gators/etc
3rd place: 20 to 30 overthere
4th place: 30 to 40 dreadlands

Other places to consider further beyond level 10:
Karnor's Castle
Mistmoore Castle
Unrest

These are not even things I'd bother using MQ for given the disparity in levels between the toon being PLed and rest of team. Just run a druid DS and heal where needed with the druid (just make sure the druid doesn't have DS if they get heal aggro). Can use enchanter to blur if the mobs get off the toon being PLed.

@Evelyn @Trapper

I am now level 43...the skele are mostly light blue now, and i dont have a SK to PL me..

Where should i go?
I tried Mesa, but found that the mobs are giving roughly the same xp as those skele in blight (and skele are must easier to kill, as they are light blue!)

I would see what Teek in POK has to offer as a hot zone on your server for levels 40 & 45 and go there. Most of them are old zones so the mobs tend to die easier. Once you finished with the kill 5 then you could just stay in that zone cause all mobs there will be bonus exp. Get both kill missions at the same time otherwise your locked out for the day.

@Redmonkey

Thanks for the headsup, forgot this dude completely, he is really nice, upon task completion, you got to pick some mini rewards for non visible armor piece, so other new starter make sure to take the tasks from him.

However, he wont let you pick the tasks for next few levels, and wont tell you what are the hot zones for next few levels, you may ask other high level around to help you get the tasks and check...since allakhazam seem no longer maintaining the current hotzones...

EDIT **** blah now i know what you mean for the lockout...it wont let me take the next level tasks...which i was too low to take before, and now being locked out due to previous task completion....stupid tasktimer....

Last edited:
Take the level of toon you want to PL and divided by 2, then multiplied by 3. This number is the the maximum level that you can group with and still get exp. Round this number down to the nearest shroud level. Now find a hot zone with mobs that are grey to the shroud. The toon being PL will get all exp. At low levels just shrouding down with merc and going to a hot zone will get you a lot of exp.

Take the level of toon you want to PL and divided by 2, then multiplied by 3. This number is the the maximum level that you can group with and still get exp. Round this number down to the nearest shroud level. Now find a hot zone with mobs that are grey to the shroud. The toon being PL will get all exp. At low levels just shrouding down with merc and going to a hot zone will get you a lot of exp.

At first I thought you were messing with me because this sounds super complicated and made up. Then I thought that could work. Now I'm stuck on I am super confused and I don't know what's real. Lol

@Rusang >>Shroud Guide<< At level 48 (last mile stone) the highest level you can group with and still get exp is 72. This mean you finally use the highest level monster shroud. You can start using shrouds at level 5 and every 5 after that will get you access to a higher level. On this toon i went for the healer. I shroud down to 70 and bring my J5 tank merc. My tank massacre's mobs that are red to the rest of the group. I used this method mainly because i don't want to be gear dependent at lover levels. It lets me skip most of the defiant race. Once your toons hit 70 they can group with a 105. At 195 mobs in HOT start turning grey.

shroud.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Rusang >>Shroud Guide<< At level 48 (last mile stone) the highest level you can group with and still get exp is 72. This mean you finally use the highest level monster shroud. You can start using shrouds at level 5 and every 5 after that will get you access to a higher level. On this toon i went for the healer. I shroud down to 70 and bring my J5 tank merc. My tank massacre's mobs that are red to the rest of the group. I used this method mainly because i don't want to be gear dependent at lover levels. It lets me skip most of the defiant race. Once your toons hit 70 they can group with a 105. At 195 mobs in HOT start turning grey.

View attachment 28922
That makes a whole lot more sense than the last post. I understand now! Thanks for a better explanation, I may try this

easist w und from 113 to 115 is to get TA for he Four ToV Missions.

Yep thats what I mean by hiting TOV - so good call out on specifically the missions. It takes about 40 minutes for me to run through all 4 missions give or take. I came back to the game in November after quitting maxing out TBL. Maxed out 115 across 6 accounts about 36 times now. Sort of have it down process wise of GMM 95 -113 then TOV missions. But you do need ot level a bit of 113 (80%) or you end up stuck at 114 and that sucks to level through grind and/or the patricians.

I used to get oil of fennin ro aka fill my bags with them on the toon to be powerleveled. Then get on my leveler and head into a place hatchery is pretty good at first. once you are ready to start put the best DS you can on your leveler then go agro a ton of mobs and come back to your levelee. once all the mobs are there use the oil and get all the mobs on your extended target window. now get back on the leveler and sit down and all the mobs will hit you get the DS and die. keep this up until you leveler or the DS is not longer efficient for me this seems to happen not to long after 60.

Ok the best way for lower levels if you only have a druid is the following:
Get the highest rk healer merc on your druid that you can get.
Run around and pickup as many mobs as you can on your druid while your merc is set on passive. (click off all buffs on druid except maybe runspeed)
When you get close to toon to be pl'd, chain sit on your druid till you are less than 40% health.
Click reactive on healer merc while you keep sitting. ( a couple heals should have them with 100% aggro)
When druid can sit without getting aggro, have pl'd toon click your oil of fen ro or whatever they have to do Ae Damage to the mobs.
Now druid can cast high level surge and regular DS on merc and watch mobs explode.

i can get you from 1 to 60 in an hour takes like 9 pulls from 3 zones that are connected then from 60 to 85 in a couple hours at most then from 85 to 110 overnight none of which involves any programs just me mashing my face against the keyboard and cussing at the monitor every so often as is nessasary

if your on zek server pm me here and we can meet up in game send dontpostyourtoonnamesplz a tell ill give ya a free PL to show ya how

i can get you from 1 to 60 in an hour takes like 9 pulls from 3 zones that are connected then from 60 to 85 in a couple hours at most then from 85 to 110 overnight none of which involves any programs just me mashing my face against the keyboard and cussing at the monitor every so often as is nessasary

if your on zek server pm me here and we can meet up in game send dontpostyourtoonnamesplz a tell ill give ya a free PL to show ya how
johnny, I'm sure the intent is appreciated, but you bumped a thread that was originally created in 2020 and the last response was march of this year.

Question - I'm really bad at PL'ing!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back