• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Discussion - If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.... (1 Viewer)

RedCents
8,544¢
If DBG went the direction of building in self made groups in game along the same fashion to how MQ works, how would you feel about it? Do you think it would be something you would partake in, or not? I am talking about full integration with EQ including MQ like control. So, not like the merc system is now, but how things are with MQ now. Let's hear those thoughts.

Please don't talk about how it could never be as good as MQ. Or the technical reasons why it would never happen. We are pretending what I said actually happened. Aaaaaand....go.

Would be interesting for sure but I think it would have to be server locked. It changes the game too much for those who don't want it.

DBG would get serious pushback from the purists and would have to implement TrueBox servers and free character transfers. (Of course, those servers would die!)

Honestly, DBG track record on substantial changes is damn weak. I don't think they could implement even half of what we have with VV MQ. But they could have a serious impact by improving the low hanging fruit like a decent Auto Follow and creating an ability to turn a real character into a mercenary for some short duration.

Hell, they could make huge improvements in the merc system alone that would probably cause MQ usage to drop by half.

So under the assumption it's essentially what we have now baked in? I do not trust DPG/DBG enough to not manage to screw it up.
But assuming they didn't. And it's perfect..

They had 20 years to make Autofollow work - and couldnt do it.

They just dont have the grey matter required to make QOL improvements.
So a private party comes in, buys the company, and makes radical changes / investments.....

They had 20 years to make Autofollow work - and couldnt do it.

They just dont have the grey matter required to make QOL improvements.
I never seen anything in the patch notes about attempting to change the way auto-follow works. Autofollow was meant to be a temporary stopgap when you were traveling and were trying to be lazy, but much like with automated characters with the plugins/macros it's expected that the user will keep an eye on things to make sure it doesn't go awry. It's mentioned when using normal /follow that you shouldn't use it near lava/water/cliffs and causing a character to turn slowly as opposed to instantly is moderately more difficult to code than it would be to implement instant vector adjustments based on the follow target. With that said I don't think "couldn't" is the right word. But rather I believe this is a case of "didn't try to change the behavior of" or "making it function in the same or similar fashion as MQ2Nav or MQ2MoveUtils exceeds the scope of the intended purpose of the feature. "didn't" seems more appropriate in this situation as they certainly "could" have implemented such a feature, but chose not to do so.

New company goes Meta with it and ties toons to a publicly readable Blockchain so avatars can translate into any other world that chooses to honor and krono/plat are tradable crypto. Pay the right folk for a multi-billion dollar valuation, throw in data driven AI tokenomics (and additional buzzwords) for maximum angel investment suckers ... err, backers. Profit!

If DBG went the direction of building in self made groups in game along the same fashion to how MQ works, how would you feel about it? Do you think it would be something you would partake in, or not? I am talking about full integration with EQ including MQ like control. So, not like the merc system is now, but how things are with MQ now. Let's hear those thoughts.

Please don't talk about how it could never be as good as MQ. Or the technical reasons why it would never happen. We are pretending what I said actually happened. Aaaaaand....go.
Going as if it was all in and they actually did it, I would wonder if I would try it out.. that said, I can imagine I would have ZERO confidence it would be maintained and actually work as they prove so many things that don't work, don't care about.

In MY 'perfect scenario' (there really isn;t, as its a business owned by non gamers) would be DP made a deal with a third party company, RedGuides, and let them have autonomous input and decision making for the new tools officially allowed in game. RG would hire its own staff and its own input, and deliver similar to now, but have access and work with EQ devs to make things work even better. Something like this. Would the Krono bundles for your teams be more sales than TLP players create? That would potentially be one factor in the old players who would whine about bots, to be ignored and finally, FINALLY have to deal or quit. I don;t really want people to quit, I want the game to flourish.

I do enjoy the fantasy of our beloved game being managed properly and brought to more modern concepts. Advertising has ALWAYS been lacking, and is likely too late, but its still a dream to cherish.

I would love this and would subcribe 6 more toons and go back to annual payments.

nope nope nope ... i play mq cause the current team for eq has no idea what they are doing ... i would have quit playing years ago now if not for mq ...

that being said if RG made there own EQ servers and had current endgame content ...

fetchimage

The premise:

Nope. If everyone is cheating than cheating is no fun. They would never allow the map features we have and I wouldn't want to give them up. There are more reasons but that's enough for me.

I don't think I'd completely leave using MQ if DBG made better mercs that filled more diverse roles such as CC or let us have more than 1 merc.

I kind of enjoy gearing up multiple characters, I got 20 or so between 110-115 geared up with ToV or higher. Its fun to set up the automation and play whatever I happen to feel like. I still need a druid,necro,ranger,monk and paladin on my roster to complete having one of each class. The QoL stuff with the map, movement utilities some nifty Lua scripts would be missed way to much at this point, especially for tradeskills.

The benefit of having the MQ software to level up toons is I can pick to main anything I'd like at this point with little investment other than buying the expansion on that account and making them gold, I'd lose out on that with npc mercs.

I also know its bad form, but being able to set a group up to grind, or set toons to mindless farm tradeskill stuff for me while I periodically monitor them has been handy with a busy schedule.

MQ is actually the reason I've started looking into raiding again. I can keep up with AAs and follow progression on my own time without feeling I need to play 7 days a week. Having a devoted raid night or two wont leave me feeling like I'm falling behind on my because I can set up my own grind group and hang out with the family in the same room.

I could see that. A special server with a rule set just for this.
Will never happen - they made a special server in EQ2 for "cheaters" - then one day out of the blue they deleted the server and perma-banned all accounts on it

Will never happen - they made a special server in EQ2 for "cheaters" - then one day out of the blue they deleted the server and perma-banned all accounts on it
yep, and we absolutely do not want that server - even before it was nuked.

I've commented about this time and time again - we just absolutely don't want "a prison server"

yep, and we absolutely do not want that server - even before it was nuked.

I've commented about this time and time again - we just absolutely don't want "a prison server"
I've seen Escape From New York,,,,,I play mostly casual, I'm not the Duke and not Snake, definitely not Brain, and sadly not even Cabbie...so I'd wind up being one of those sewer dwellers.. 😭😭😭😢😭😰💩

or set toons to mindless farm tradeskill stuff for me while I periodically monitor them has been handy with a busy schedule
I really dislike all the repetitive things about EQ. I wish there was just systems put into place that let you do things like feed a trade skill interface, let you logoff (like offline trader mode in the bazaar), and log back in later sometime and see the result. Or maybe just let you have another characer on the account be offline, doing offline repetitive things, while we can just play another character while that is happening.

I really dislike all the repetitive things about EQ. I wish there was just systems put into place that let you do things like feed a trade skill interface, let you logoff (like offline trader mode in the bazaar), and log back in later sometime and see the result. Or maybe just let you have another characer on the account be offline, doing offline repetitive things, while we can just play another character while that is happening.
Eq2 put in some things like that - little harvester dudes who would go get you ts mats.

Eq1 slacking in a lot of those QoL things

If I ever win the lottery, I would make a serious offer to buy the EQ IP and make an offer to hire the MQ devs put them in charge. not that they would probably accept, but as for making the possibility of incorporating MQ functionality directly in EQ. You would definitely polarize the player base if you did so, As Sic said a separate server would not work. You would almost need to release a new game with that functionality or maybe a separate version of the game or something or contract out to the MQ community to run its own server cluster with the live version of the game.

And they treated people on that server terrible even before that (even though they required a subscription for it).

Question for the OP: Would we still be able to write our own scripts and have them run in your hypothetical? The customizability is a big part of what I like about MQ.

And they treated people on that server terrible even before that (even though they required a subscription for it).

Question for the OP: Would we still be able to write our own scripts and have them run in your hypothetical? The customizability is a big part of what I like about MQ.
So to add, yes their policies would open for third party software by maybe adhere to no AFK play, and no warping and the like. I mean, if they were to change the gameplay in this way, I could see it going something like this.

Discussion - If you can't beat 'em, join 'em....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back