• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Poll - Hypothetical crackdown on MQ2 (1 Viewer)

Would you continue playing eq?

• Total voters

zigaboo

RedCents
164¢
Given how several publishers are cracking down on questionable use of game mechanic developers:

Grand Theft Auto’ publisher gets a court order to raid homes of alleged cheat developers
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/18/gta...-raided-by-rockstar-take-two-interactive.html

Popular YouTube stars sued by Epic Games for selling Fortnite cheats
https://www.techspot.com/news/76965-popular-youtube-stars-sued-epic-games-selling-fortnite.html

How many of you would actually play EQ if Daybreak were to successfully put and end to MQ2 on all live servers?

I cannot see myself enjoying eq without the use of mq2 for group and solo play; the game mechanics and severe limitations would make playing this game unbearable.

well the first two cases are different and cant really be compared, since there you are talking about people who create and sell cheats that will cheat the system.

where as mq2 in the form of mq2 core and Redguides Vanilla, does not cheat the game, it just helps automate some things, and is not sold for profit.

well the first two cases are different and cant really be compared, since there you are talking about people who create and sell cheats that will cheat the system.

where as mq2 in the form of mq2 core and Redguides Vanilla, does not cheat the game, it just helps automate some things, and is not sold for profit.

I omitted the fact that I am not a lawyer and further appreciate you clarifying why my hypothetical scenario is unreasonable.

Thank you!

I am not a laywer either, but i am old and wise like a golden retriever dog, and if gaming companies are cracking down with law suits and such, is cause their bottom line are being hurt, or someone else is directly influencing their game and making money on it.

DBG would probably have their bottomline for eq hurt if they out of the blue banned MQ2, like some people that use it has between 6 and 100 gold accounts each, with full expansions, so its not like just banning one account or 100 peoples acocunt. if they ban mq2 they are gonna feel it.

also the poll lacks a 3rd and 4th option, maybe, i don know, and eqmule will save us!

I am not a laywer either, but i am old and wise like a golden retriever dog, and if gaming companies are cracking down with law suits and such, is cause their bottom line are being hurt, or someone else is directly influencing their game and making money on it.

DBG would probably have their bottomline for eq hurt if they out of the blue banned MQ2, like some people that use it has between 6 and 100 gold accounts each, with full expansions, so its not like just banning one account or 100 peoples acocunt. if they ban mq2 they are gonna feel it.

also the poll lacks a 3rd and 4th option, maybe, i don know, and eqmule will save us!

Personally I prefer cats to dogs due to cats independent nature.

On a serious note, to address a previous reply that has been removed.

I am awareDaybreak has already demonstrated their willingness to have a working relationship with fan created projects most notably Project 99:

An Update & Announcement from Project 1999!
https://www.everquest.com/news/project-1999-daybreak

My post is not ment to spread fear or fake news. I chose this title to be as un click baiting as possible.

I am honestly curious on how passionately the community feels about MQ2 and whether people will still play.
I don’t doubt our commitment to mq2 but know I don’t have the same passion for eq.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing to mention is eqmule has communicated directly with daybreak devs and why Everquest has MQ2 free servers. This type of collaboration is excellent for the community and the game as a whole. It also ensures a blanket ban on MQ2 won't happen as long as people don't do stupid shit like AFK macro in front of a bunch of people.

To get back to the original question in it's core -- I probably wouldn't box. I would mostly only solo at that point. I would probably get bored pretty quick and move on as I've done in the past. Honestly, I'm only playing right now because MQ2 makes it easy to at this point so that I can enjoy the good stuff without having to worry about the mundane or character management.

For example, I can focus on strategies, exploring locations, doing progression and similar things. I don't have to worry about finding a group that might want to do that, wiping 6 times while people afk if I do get that group, waiting an hour+ for people to decide to leave because you're waiting on one person or the entire group failing because one person can't play their class beyond auto-attack. We've all been through these scenarios right? So, boxing + MQ2 FTW!

Personally I'm not sure how one would go about approaching a lawsuit for mq2 as no one person/company creates the code for it. The code itself it open source and openly available less the offsets, which anyone with the determination or knowhow could update per patch provided the right incentive. The plugins that accompany MQ2 is created by private developers using the API created by the core program that is MQ2. Websites like redguides are but a conduit for community and ease of access as well as a large repository for access to vast amounts of plugins and macros. Where-as other systems are used with proprietary closed source code where an individual or company owns the rights to the code source and only a created a published compiled version is available. Meaning the lawsuit would have to extend beyond any one target, an instead target a large array of unaffiliated individuals for their individual works which accompany or have become part of the source.

While I'm not saying that it would be impossible to approach something like that, I just don't think it'd be very cost effective because most who participate in creating the plugins and adding features to core don't exactly have large sums of funds that a company like dbg would be able to gain access to in exchange for the time/effort/cost involved with such an endeavor. Plus, as others have mentioned in the past, the community of MQ2 actually provides a large amount of subscriptions to the game due strickly to the ability to box using mq2, without mq2 those that don't just say fuck it and leave would almost certainly abandon maintaining their large amount of subscriptions to the service and rely solely on 1-3 characters, if 3 isn't too many that is.

What is the gain to dbg. They would remove the use of MQ2, hurt their bottom line, spend an enormous amount of funds on lawyer's fees drawing up multiple lawsuits targeting individuals, and then in the end, anyone can go and update the offsets anonymously and post it for use, effectively defeating the entire purpose. Would I continue to play? Yup, probably still using MQ2 as well. Personally I feel that MQ2 is what is keeping this ship on top of the water instead of the bottom of the sea. As long as it's used responsibly there is no reason to fret. As others have mentioned agreements have been made which allow it's use presuming things such as active hacks remain a thing of the past and you stay off the radar for AFKing and such I don't see it being an issue.

Why would they go through all that trouble? If they wanted me to stop updating MQ2, they can just send me a mail and ask, I would have no problem at all doing that. (It would be pointless in the long run cause someone else would just pick it up where I left it eventually, so that could also be a reason why they haven’t... for the most part we are dealing with normal logical reasoning beings here...)

The point I’m making is that since they haven’t asked me to shut it down, it means they are fine with it/or realizing that they would lose too much subscribers and players that it’s not worth rocking the boat... I mean it would not make any sense to cut of such a large part of their revenue...
People who use MQ2 play eq more, they stay longer, are more loyal, no rage quits etc... retention is higher as well. The people I know that has been sticking with eq since the beginning are ALL MQ2 users... every single one.
Fun challenge: find me a single person that has played since 99 and still are and are NOT using MQ2... I bet that’s very very rare.

i got a couple in my guild eqmule, hardcore players, no mq2, all tehy do is level, and aa, and do tradeskills, one dude has like 3 of every class with max everfything i think.

nope, they are against it.

I used to say I was against it if someone asked when I was in a raiding guild that was judgy about it. And I used the shit out of it ... and I KNOW others did, too, because mages aren’t normally able to tell if certain PoP raid events are up from the freakin zoneline.

nah its easy to see when people arent using it, when they still do things like we did i 1999, instead of mq2fying it.

I've been a player of EQ since launch but left for a long time when WoW was released. Even back then I paid for four accounts (one was for my nephew and the other three I boxed the hard way).

Occasionally, in between WoW lulls, I'd always go back to EQ and stick around for a month or two then I'd just lose interest again (usually well before hitting the level cap much less AA cap). This time, however, I decided to try MQ2 just to see what it was all about and let's just say it's been a few months later and I'm about to reach the AA cap on my sixth character. I thought at best I'd be able to reach the level cap before the expansion and never even thought of the idea of hitting the AA cap.

Anyway, with MQ2, my EQ addiction is back in full force (didn't even bother trying out WoW's latest xpac) and I've not only bought the RoS expansion on my four previous accounts but even added two more new accounts (yay being older and having more income?). Unless something drastic changes, I foresee buying the new expansion on all six as well.

I'm certain that I just would not be interested in playing EQ if I was forced to do things like before. There's nothing quite like the freedom of being able to do and farm things myself without having to rely on other people and their schedules. Plus there's an extra level of satisfaction I now find in tinkering with my characters INI's and seeing it all come together (or sometimes fail spectacularly). It's like learning a whole other fun game unto itself.

Don't get me wrong, I love grouping with other people and I was an avid raider in EQ and WoW but that chapter in my life is essentially over with now that I can't/won't plan my life around a raiding schedule.

I love EQ and have played consistently since 99. I started using VV about a year/two years ago and I can't/won't/don't want to play EQ without it.

Poll - Hypothetical crackdown on MQ2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back