• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - How many of us actually get trained? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
2,942¢
I'm reading through the live forums and once again I see complaints about "botters" etc..

In every single one of these type threads someone will advocate training of groups and almost as frequently add offering 0% rezzes.

Does this actually ever happen to anyone at all?

Personally I'm never AFK anyway so I can respond though truthfully I can't recall the last time anyone sent me a /tell no do I bother answering camp checks.

What's your experience?

Well. Training is the go-to method of combating afk botters. If a player does in fact afk then it's their own fault. However, that's not always the case. Sometimes someone just can't be bothered to respond to someone, or the person in question fails to even attempt to make contact and assumes they're afk because "they were there the day before too"

Simply put for myself, I don't AFK play. I tend not to be in high traffic areas. If I am, I'm considerate of other players. Even initiating a conversation with someone who appears to be considering "pulling for me".

As far as 0% rezes, you can get an EXP rez after the fact, but I wouldn't recommend auto accepting rezes under a threshold below your expected recovery of EXP per rez, IE: The other player could offer you a 10% rez, and it would be accepted automatically if you're allowing 0% rezes.

So personally....no I haven't. But I've seen claims of that sort, some of which are from people who are actually at their keyboard at the time it happens.

I've been trained before. I was at the keyboard so I just casually evac'd as he was getting close., waited 5 minutes and campfired back. We did this several times, as I was chatting with him. He just hates anyone that uses MQ2 was the basic gist I got from the messages, but clearly he was using it or some other program that give information about where people were located as he initially made a beeline for my group which was tucked in an out of the way corner. He was put on my watch list, and whenever he is in the zone my group leaves before he can even get close enough to harass me again.

That being said, I don't afk in any non-instanced current expansion zones and I always try and stick my guys in out of the way places to not bother anyone else's game play.

I've trained myself plenty of times due to poor pathing in certain spots like Gorowyn. However, I avoid contested camps like the plague. And my afk time is rarely longer than the time necessary to run to the bathroom.

Now that said, my group is very strong and with both chanter and bard mezzing and cleric and shaman healing it would be very difficult to kill the group with anything less than an epic train. :)

I have been trained repeatedly since playing EQ....matter off act I am not in the new expansion since I was trained out of it in the first zone three days running. But the raiders always feel justified with that sort of behavior and since all the server mergers... well there is no "honor among thieves" so unless your group is strong enough to fight back... you head out.

I have had luck turning their own guild against them at times... but that only works when folks are actually worried about their guild's reputation.

How ever I never AFK play (at most grabbing food/drink or a BR break)

I will run multiple groups in different areas at times (and hence, long pauses between answering tells/CC) and had issues like CWTN where folks assumed I was AFK botting because "you are always here!" when actually, I simply got on about 30m before them. And yes... when you are camping an item for 20+ toons, you are going to sit on X named for a while =-P

I have even had folks come up and toss various commands at my group, trying to get them to respond....sorry my macros work with a Master list... even if you knew the keywords, if you aint on the list, you aint getting jack. I simply waited till they paused a moment (continued pulling through out) and then just asked them if the actually wanted buffs, or enjoyed looking like idiots.

I aint a social butterfly =P

Last edited:
Never been trained here, tho I go out of my way to be friendly and if someone comes around in my area I'll usually msg them and say something like "Hey, I didn't take your spot did I? - Did you want it back? I can let you know when I head out. etc" I also tend to move around a lot, and I don't do unattended gameplay with my main crew in current / high pop zones, despite frequently seeing other people doing that.

Once (like waaaaay back in the day) I bound myself near some druid ring for some reason and I got killed by aggo grey or green mob --- slowly :(

Well, its not training but I have the time/date stamp on my chat screens (all of them) and I hot keyed a /who. This way I can quickly see who is in a zone if I need to. The other day I zoned into where the Cragbeast Queen spawns, checked /who and no one in zone but me. Got closer and closer to spawn time and kept checking /who. No one. Finally Queen spawned but a little down from me and bam! some ranger came in and killed it right from under me. When I called them out on it there response was "oh, I've been in the zone for hours" Um , no you have not. But that's ok cause she will spawn again and karma is a killa.

I still have the old hot key "train to zone!!!" from years ago and sometimes I will pop it just to make ya look!

I've been trained about 4 times but only twice on purpose and none of it was to do with multiboxing. Also most of the times were on emulator servers. On Live I put in a lot of effort to stay out of peoples way. I got to 110 and barely even saw another person. One time I did and the guy raged at me for taking his mobs which were just random quest trash mobs in some huge zone when he was nowhere to be seen. He insulted me in broken English and then gated before I could even reply. It just reminded me why I like to stay well out of the way of everyone. In fact ironically it was mostly this that made me get MQ2. I was tired of busting my balls to manually 4 box when I couldn't even have the benefit of doing common quests without having a run in with someone or having everything already be dead or camped. So I got MQ2 so I could box a full group of 6 and just slaughter things for exp instead. I did the Gribbles HA about 1000 times.

The only other time on Live was in 1999 when I went with a friend to help him camp the glowing hand thing in West Karana. We were sat at a spot for an hour or so, I was mostly asleep, and after a while some goofy looking noob monk comes running along with 2 mobs on him and FD's right in front of me. It all looked like slow motion, I think he was snared. I just moved out of the way and the mobs didn't get time to aggro me so they stayed there. He stood up and died. Then a while later he came back and did it again and this time they hit me. But there was 2 of us so we just killed them. Eventually a GM (or maybe a Guide) showed up and told me to stop training people. I said I had never trained anyone ever and it was me who had been trained and he argued with me about something, so I called him a dickhead. I got mysteriously kicked to server select. I logged back in and just went somewhere else. Life is too short to fight over virtual gloves.

Another time was on EQ Mac. I had been fighting in Lower Guk for weeks, made level 40 ish to almost 50. I was bound in the safe hall so I could teleport back to town to sell all my fine steel, and then gate back to Guk. One time a guy comes running through the zone with 20 mobs on him and I don't think he even knew. They killed me in a second. Then I respawned in the safe hall and the mobs were all there. I died again and again, had to /q. Lost about 5 levels in 30 seconds.

Fun times.

Last edited:
Not trained here, but sadly, a bard getting aggro from our mob and dragging it around while his other toon videos. Wasnt afk at the time, was definately a wtf are you doing moment! All he could say was smile you're on camera. I logged, nothing came from it though sometime down the road I was suspended.

Question - How many of us actually get trained?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back