• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - How many could I box? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
-1¢
So my 8 year old pc finally died and I bought a new one with the specs from the image. Realistically, how many toons do you pros think I could box on this machine? I can also upgrade the ram more in the future if I need.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231122_161150_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231122_161150_Samsung Internet.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 14
I was reading another article here about processor style for EQ earlier today. Does a slower server processor with super high core and thread counts make more sense than ultra fast lower core count processor for boxing? The 14900k has 24 cores, and may be a great solution to balance that equation. I am not super tech savvy, but your build looks super sweet 😀

super pc and congrats!
depends on how many toons you have?
you can load 30-50 TOONS I think…
Well since I'm just getting back into eq, I'm only starting out with 6 right now, just a single box group. Want to add more eventually once I get the hang of things again and see what I can accomplish

with frame limiter, 50+.. you have 64g of ram, with the right settings, will launch at just over 1g, then settle down to 300-500.. gives you roughly 24g for spikes as you zone and move around.

with this system your equipment bottle neck will be your ISP or internet connection. then assuming your internet can handle the bandwidth, then it becomes up to the user to figure out how to run that many characters. many people do not enjoy playing the game with raid level numbers.

find what you enjoy and play.

I expect you could box 32+ with some minor frame rate limiting. Probably could do full 54 with some tweaking.

The i9-14900K has 8 "P" = Performance cores and 16 "E" = Efficient cores.

The 8x P cores are hyper-threaded so they appear to the OS as 16 cores, while, the 16 E cores are lower clocked single threaded cores.

There has been some interesting videos about how the games actually run slower due to the windows scheduler not knowing which cores to use.

There are similar problems with the AMD 3D cache line if it is the 12 or 16 core variant.

I expect you could box 32+ with some minor frame rate limiting. Probably could do full 54 with some tweaking.

The i9-14900K has 8 "P" = Performance cores and 16 "E" = Efficient cores.

The 8x P cores are hyper-threaded so they appear to the OS as 16 cores, while, the 16 E cores are lower clocked single threaded cores.

There has been some interesting videos about how the games actually run slower due to the windows scheduler not knowing which cores to use.

There are similar problems with the AMD 3D cache line if it is the 12 or 16 core variant.
Heard rumbles about the AMD issue, but more of just people mentioning it offhand. Any of the benchmarks avail?

Heard rumbles about the AMD issue, but more of just people mentioning it offhand. Any of the benchmarks avail?

It would have been on Gamer's Nexus or Jay's 2 cents.

From what I remember it was when the 3d v-cache first came out and the way AMD was detecting if you were gaming was pretty cheesy. I just don't remember enough of the details, or , if anything has been updated with regard to Microsoft patching the windows scheduler to handle the new CPU architectures.

You can basically be your own raid. That is a nice machine. Congrats.
I've thought about that, but I do not know how to write my own scripts for raids events etc. As much as I would love to be able to, I do not see that as a possibility. However, I wouldn't be opposed to running a second box group in conjunction with the main one and farming 2 areas at once.

I've thought about that, but I do not know how to write my own scripts for raids events etc. As much as I would love to be able to, I do not see that as a possibility. However, I wouldn't be opposed to running a second box group in conjunction with the main one and farming 2 areas at once.
I run a machine that is a well mini monster. It's a mini PC that I has plenty of everything a dedicated video card I forget and I put 128 megs of Ram in. I've never loaded more than 8 toons but they ran fine and minus the ram your machine stats are newer than mine and I think you will be fine for that.

That machine is overkill in every way for 2 groups of EQ.
Oh absolutely it is, but I might not ever be able to run full raids on my own, but I could run multiple groups eventually, which I think would be petty fun tbh. I'd love to be able and Raid on my own, but I don't have the capabilities to write my own scripts to deal with mechanics etc etc.

How many could I box

All Of Them GIF by MOODMAN

Discussion - How many could I box?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back