• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - How many characters per pc? (1 Viewer)

Yeah I just do raids. I started at level 1 and built up. I did Naggy and Vox, then started working on Kunark, then did Velious, etc. I like to do it by myself because it takes time to set up but once you are doing it, you don't have to wait for anyone or anything, I can afk any time I want, alt tab to do work or read the web or whatever. The whole raid happily waits for me because they are bots :D When I was doing this on PEQ there were 2 guys I used to play with and we made a guild, and each of us boxed an army of about 30 ish so with the three of us we had like 90 characters and could raid anything. They helped me do some of PoP progression that was hard alone, and we did some dungeon in GoD which was amazing and epic and complicated and I was glad that they could show me through it.

PEQ is free to play as well so I played it for years doing all sorts of stuff and it didn't cost me anything. But it takes a long time to do this stuff. Like my first group with no twinking or anything took me months to reach level 70 which was max at the time. Then I made a second group and had to PL them to catch up, then a third group.. and then I made an aoe group for leveling, so I had a full group of wizzies and a full group of enchanters and I could make a new group and pull an entire zone, and the group of enchs perma stun everything, any glitches and they hit the tank np, and the newbie group can just aoe to reap the xp. Could get several levels on one pull. That let me get the other groups maxed and a lot of AAs. Then I just took my time and enjoyed gearing up and doing quests n stuff. I haven't played much for years but I'd like to get back into it.

Last edited:
Since we're measuring penis's and sharing specs and PC abilities.... :)

Ryzen9-3900x, 128gb RAM, 2080ti, system drive is a 1tb Samsung EVO 970 NVMe and all things EQ are installed on a dual 500gb Samsung NVMe M.2's RAID'd together for speed.

I currently only run 10 accounts(Logged in 24/7), full/max graphics except spell effects/shadows. I use ISBoxer for the mini-screens on a 29" Samsung 4k and main toon on a separate 29" Samsung 4k. (I have 6 of these 29's in 2 rows of 3). I use VV for almost everything else, with a few of the flavorful little extra plugins and macros. SK, Cleric, Rogue and Zerkers are running on CWTN's plugins.

This is also my work machine. I work from home and at any given time, I have Chrome open with a myriad of apps and websites, I stream CNN news all day, have Spotify jamming, Bluestacks(so I can watch my 12 security cameras around the house), 2 separate sessions of Outlook(personal and work), usually a couple VMs, Discord, Active Directory UC, Exchange Admin Tools, Skype for Business, MS Teams etc, etc, etc...

I rarely see over about 45-50% usage of anything. No earthly idea how many sessions of EQ I'd actually be able to run. And no, nothing is overclocked. "All engine power, no spray"
1600283548249.png

Since we're measuring penis's and sharing specs and PC abilities.... :)

Ryzen9-3900x, 128gb RAM, 2080ti, system drive is a 1tb Samsung EVO 970 NVMe and all things EQ are installed on a dual 500gb Samsung NVMe M.2's RAID'd together for speed.

I currently only run 10 accounts(Logged in 24/7), full/max graphics except spell effects/shadows. I use ISBoxer for the mini-screens on a 29" Samsung 4k and main toon on a separate 29" Samsung 4k. (I have 6 of these 29's in 2 rows of 3). I use VV for almost everything else, with a few of the flavorful little extra plugins and macros. SK, Cleric, Rogue and Zerkers are running on CWTN's plugins.

This is also my work machine. I work from home and at any given time, I have Chrome open with a myriad of apps and websites, I stream CNN news all day, have Spotify jamming, Bluestacks(so I can watch my 12 security cameras around the house), 2 separate sessions of Outlook(personal and work), usually a couple VMs, Discord, Active Directory UC, Exchange Admin Tools, Skype for Business, MS Teams etc, etc, etc...

I rarely see over about 45-50% usage of anything. No earthly idea how many sessions of EQ I'd actually be able to run. And no, nothing is overclocked. "All engine power, no spray"
View attachment 24326
what 6 stand is that? that looks much better than mine

We had a cool >Thread < for IRL setups - yours is very nice definitely fancyaf looking

Thanks, and here you go!
Monitor Stand

A little pricey, but so worth it. Heavy, steady and solid.
dimentionally looks the same as my 6-stand - but in the photos yours appears to curve in more --- my 3 stand i was able to "hug" in the sides much more than this 6 stand

You guys want me to get a new desk. I love the one I have, it has a built-in monitor shelf (easily holds my 2x 24" 2k monitors, I could upgrade and there'd still be room) and has a larger shelf on top for decorations, a TV (on a stand), or whatever. There just isn't a place for a monitor stand. I'd have to do some weird mounting from the wall.

Last edited:
Heh... I run an IKEA special for a desk. Little, I think, $200 jobbie. My CHAIR on the other hand is a $600 La-Z-Boy office chair. Gotta keep my skinny ass from falling asleep, right? :)

My CHAIR on the other hand is a $600 La-Z-Boy office chair. Gotta keep my skinny ass from falling asleep, right? :)
My chair is this, but in blue:

I bought both the chair and desk after I moved to WA back in 2014. Both are still going fantastic, solid built.

My desk is a piece of plywood sitting on top of two filing cabinets. Best bang for the buck. 3 1/2 foot front to back, 8 foot wide desk. Plenty of room to store my empty cans of monster and I can even keep my files organized! Now I just need some files!

Probably venturing too far out of thread here, but the argument that "nothing is real" is just wrong.

News organizations certainly have their biases, which is unavoidable. But claiming that it's all fake is damaging and untrue.

It's good to be skeptical and to continue critical thinking, but we can't just reject everything. We should seek out factual reporting from a variety of sources that attempt to present just the facts and then apply critical thinking.

Given current events, I wait to hear see the entire story (not entire opinions), not someone inadvertently or not promoting and inciting future violence where people may die.
An individual was shot!!: certain media puts a fraction of the story out there (outrage, riots protests acts of violence ensue)
rest of the story comes out: he was wielding a knife charging the officer ready to stab, the officer initially ran away, the suspect had stabbed 5 folks 1 yr ago including a minor
crickets......... not sure if thats not fake news, irresponsible news, malicious news but the result 2020 has been the same over and over again

More importantly about this thread though is if that chairs doubles as a bidet, then it is an awesome deal

Most I've ever ran at once was 5 (6 if you count the merc). I've got a decent PC, but I don't wanna see how many it'll run tbh.

What service do you use? I tried to sign up for the actual Shadow.tech service, but it was only a pre-order! My googling skills are failing me for finding alternatives.
Thats the one u have to pre-order then they set up ur server etc. Took me 5 days after preorder

I would love to hear more about how you're using AWS!

It's simple, you have a desktop you connect to remotely. The benefit of this is, if you have a baz trader you'll be connected 24/7. I haven't tried it for real grouping, it might work idk but for static 1 char it works great especially with MQ2EQWire or others.

@q8reflex I looked at the AWS link, so much info there I got lost in what to even look for, can you give me an idea on what you are using? I looked on the pricing page to get an estimate a well, but they have so many services, I do not 'see' "I want a Win 10 desktop with 100 GB storage to install EQ and 32 GB ram so I can box happy"...........I mean its SO simple an option.. normally I look for the RedFrog option button.. hmph !

@q8reflex I looked at the AWS link, so much info there I got lost in what to even look for, can you give me an idea on what you are using? I looked on the pricing page to get an estimate a well, but they have so many services, I do not 'see' "I want a Win 10 desktop with 100 GB storage to install EQ and 32 GB ram so I can box happy"...........I mean its SO simple an option.. normally I look for the RedFrog option button.. hmph !

You have to have amazon account, even the one you use for Amazon shopping will do. I agree AWS can be overwhelming at first but you have to go through some documentaion or trial and error to get there, start here if you can

Based on this thread, it almost seems as if Ryzen processors are doing better at boxing than Intel chips. Does anybody have any insight on that?
I can't comment directly from a technical perspective but can provide some anecdotal evidence. Went from a 1700 to a 10700k recently. Running 11 on the 1700, no eqwire or fps limits, max settings all 11, ~40% util. 10700k does same at 15%. I don't think that the Ryzen/Intel would be much of a diff outside of how many cores/threads. 3900/3950 do have a higher core/thread count over the 10900k.

However, 10700k is much newer. Same 32GB RAM and 1080 on both setups. Could just be efficiency in the CPU explaining the difference. Although small issues here and there such as hitches or hangups I have had less with the Intel than the AMD. Other games run more consistent FPS as well. Minor though. I don't think there is a wrong choice, unless you're shooting for 24+ toons both should work fine.

Thats the one u have to pre-order then they set up ur server etc. Took me 5 days after preorder
I got my service setup, it took about a month. It works really well if you want to actively play games! It does have an AFK timer of 30 minutes which makes it useless for me playing EQ. I wish they would bump it to like 2 hours. There will be times I start my login, go walk my dogs, grab a drink, use the bathroom, come back ready to play and my instance would be shut down!

I was really impressed with how well it works though. I could play EQ or any game with great FPS on my iPad. Pretty neat idea.

Doesn't it have to be a GPU instance in order to launch 3D applications? I always thought their other stuff wouldn't provide any 3D abilities at all.

Yeah it's kinda limited in resources, but you get what you pay for. As we all know EQ is CPU dependant, tis why i only run one instance.

I got my service setup, it took about a month. It works really well if you want to actively play games! It does have an AFK timer of 30 minutes which makes it useless for me playing EQ. I wish they would bump it to like 2 hours. There will be times I start my login, go walk my dogs, grab a drink, use the bathroom, come back ready to play and my instance would be shut down!

I was really impressed with how well it works though. I could play EQ or any game with great FPS on my iPad. Pretty neat idea.
the 30 min timer is new because of covid.. before timer was 2 and half hours

Discussion - How many characters per pc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back