• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - How do I get my group to switch who they attack? (1 Viewer)

whytdrumer

RedCents
1,014¢
So I'm trying to do Griklor's mission with my group and one challenge I'm running into is when I need to have my group switch targets. For example, an add starts attacking us before Griklor drops. As we're fighting it, he drops. I want to be able to switch to Griklor and have everyone attack him so we can mez the adds. I keep getting wiped because the group is attacking the wrong mob.

if your using KissAssist it will be /switchnow
of your using cwtn plugins it will be as an example for cleric unless you have keybinds set /clr switchwithma on
this is inaccurate for cleric and other caster/priest classes - there is no switchwithma option, they all do it as a default without option to change it.

the melee/hybrids you can switchwithma, but not priest/casters as they work differently.

this is inaccurate for cleric and other caster/priest classes - there is no switchwithma option, they all do it as a default without option to change it.

the melee/hybrids you can switchwithma, but not priest/casters as they work differently.
sorry, although i did use cleric as an example i never knew they didnt have that option but for the melee class they do. thx for clarifying that for me :) thought it was a general option

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the input. I use KA on all my toons except the main tank.

I tested trying the backoff command and then backon but that didn't seem to work. I'll try these commands and see if that works. Can someone confirm, if I clear my target and then select Griklor will my toons do the same or do I have to run a separate command that tells them to switch?

Should I use the switchwithma toggle? Is there a way to set it once in the INI and not have to deal with this in the future?
I frequently refer to the KA wiki to make sure things are behaving how I expect:

Command options:
/switchnow [0/1] [#]Switch to your MA's Current Target. First parameter is for locking onto(1)/releasing(0) the target. 0 is default. Second parameter can be a spawn ID. Both parameters are optional

Melee settings:
TargetSwitchingOn00/10=Off/1=On - This allows the MA to manually switch targets. TargetSwitchingON can only be turned on if your the MA, It is ignored for any other character/role.

It's confusing with so many commands, but make sure you're using the right command with the right macro or plugin (CWTN commands won't help you with KA):
/backoff (KA)

From @KS1980
cwtn plugins it will be [...] switchwithma on

Last edited:
Should I use the switchwithma toggle? Is there a way to set it once in the INI and not have to deal with this in the future?
from the wiki at https://www.redguides.com/wiki/KissAssist

/switchnow [0/1] [#]Switch to your MA's Current Target. First parameter is for locking onto(1)/releasing(0) the target. 0 is default. Second parameter can be a spawn ID. Both parameters are optional

TargetSwitchingOn00/10=Off/1=On - This allows the MA to manually switch targets. TargetSwitchingON can only be turned on if your the MA, It is ignored for any other character/role.

I frequently refer to the KA wiki to make sure things are behaving how I expect:

Command options:

Melee settings:
hah, you beat me to it =)

Command options:

Melee settings:

It's confusing with so many commands, but make sure you're using the right command with the right macro or plugin (CWTN commands won't help you with KA):
/backoff (KA)

From @KS1980
Great, thank you. So I read through the wiki. Regarding "TargetSwitchingOn" I'm a little confused. If I understand correctly I would turn this on all of my toons that is NOT the MA. That way, when I switch targets with my MA, all the other toons would switch to the target the MA is targeting.

Great, thank you. So I read through the wiki. Regarding "TargetSwitchingOn" I'm a little confused. If I understand correctly I would turn this on all of my toons that is NOT the MA. That way, when I switch targets with my MA, all the other toons would switch to the target the MA is targeting.
It's ONLY used on the MA. It lets you change targets on MA and others should follow along if their assist routine is triggered. Remember this is KA and you said you're using CWTN on your tank (I assume also MA), so you can ignore it.

TargetSwitchingON can only be turned on if your the MA, It is ignored for any other character/role.

Last edited:
When doing that mission specifically, what seemed to yield the best results for me in terms of switching targets off of Griklor was on my tank, which I drive and play manually, I would target myself and hit my /dgga /switchnow key followed by the come to me button. That would essentially have all the assist chars stop attacking and move to my tank. Then target the adds and start smoking them which the assist chars would naturally start killing too. I believe Kiss has a check in the combat routine to see if the target is a pc or not and since my tank was a PC it seemed to work quickly to get them to stop trying to attack Grik and refocus on the new target.

When doing that mission specifically, what seemed to yield the best results for me in terms of switching targets off of Griklor was on my tank, which I drive and play manually, I would target myself and hit my /dgga /switchnow key followed by the come to me button. That would essentially have all the assist chars stop attacking and move to my tank. Then target the adds and start smoking them which the assist chars would naturally start killing too. I believe Kiss has a check in the combat routine to see if the target is a pc or not and since my tank was a PC it seemed to work quickly to get them to stop trying to attack Grik and refocus on the new target.
Great idea Leo. I'm going to try this as well. I'm going to test these on some trash mobs to get the mechanics down before hitting up Griklor again.

The "Cometome" button is only for dannet right? Didn't see anything for KA. I would need to migrate to DN before I could use the buttons in the group window.

you can modify those buttons to use eqbc
That's good to know. Where would I modify those buttons? Is it in each toons INI file or is there a macro file that I would need to edit? Sorry for all the questions, I'm starting to dive into the weeds of KA and it's like a rabbit hole haha.

I use Sic's Chase hotkey to do Griklor and i never have any issues with my dps not switching targets. I do occasionally get my bard will run off and chase Grik if he makes it back into the air, but that rarely happens now since I kill him so fast.

I will say that using CWTN plugins will remove some of your headaches that you get from Kissassist. Don't get me wrong Kissassist is a great tool, but CWTN and Sic have turned gold into platinum with their plugins. Now all you have to do is get them to make a bard plugin and the world can officially end.

Can someone confirm, if I clear my target and then select Griklor will my toons do the same or do I have to run a separate command that tells them to switch?
I only run KA on a few toons, but in my experience they always switch with the MA automatically. You'll even see a message in the MQ (on the KA toons) that says something like "My target doesn't match MA's, switching to new target". I just tested this on a druid and wizard and they switched immediately.

If your guys aren't switching fast enough you may try adjusting the AssistAt value in KA (just a guess, haven't really tested that). I always run AssistAt=99 for KA.

I only run KA on a few toons, but in my experience they always switch with the MA automatically. You'll even see a message in the MQ (on the KA toons) that says something like "My target doesn't match MA's, switching to new target". I just tested this on a druid and wizard and they switched immediately.

If your guys aren't switching fast enough you may try adjusting the AssistAt value in KA (just a guess, haven't really tested that). I always run AssistAt=99 for KA.
Oh interesting. I'll play around with it tonight and check to see if I see that message. Thanks.

Question - How do I get my group to switch who they attack?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back