• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Game freezing on loading multiple clients? (1 Viewer)

DodoDude

RedCents
201¢
Sometimes the game just freezes after I try to log into the game. No idea why or if it is MQ2 related or just a bug with the EQ client. Anyone else freeze when loading in multiple characters?

This can happen for a large variety of reasons. Would help to know if this was something that didn't happen previously and has suddenly occurred. If it was something that was happening previously (with the same amount of instances of EQ) then perhaps looking more into the settings of what is causing it would assist. What zone you are loading into may also be relevant, as loading into guild hall or other private instances can cause issues on login because the zone isn't ready yet. Things that may be relevant are any settings you changed recently. Any plugins you are running, paying attention to the total system memory available versus the usage (using more memory than is available can certainly cause issues like that).

Without more information it's quite hard to know what could cause it.

I was running the patcher. It happens before selecting a server.

Ill try to load without the patcher: https://www.redguides.com/community...he-Patchme-command-to-bypass-the-SOE-Launcher

Edit: I did more troubleshooting. My computer specs are a decent set- I used to 12 box in Eq2, 32GB of ram and a nice graphics card.

Now, after switching to run the eqgame.exe directly, I found that I can instantly know if the client is not going to load. I either get stuck in a black screen or it loads the login page. I tied to DL EQplay nice to see if that would fix it, but it did not. It is about 50/50 for the black screen or loading the login screen. I have tried deleting the file as suggested in the official form thread but it did not help. I'll try to re-download the game now since I am at work anyways... hopefully that fixes it.

Also, it happens on just the fresh EQ install with no MQ loaded. - I'll try my luck with a steam client install...

- - - Updated - - -

Fresh steam install fixed it

- - - Updated - - -

Nevermind, as soon as I start MQ, it starts randomly freezing on opening eqgame.exe :(

Last edited:
Open your task manager (CTRL+ALT+DELETE) and close any programs that aren't widely used, or don't seem to be a part of Windows. Any app that has to do with your video card or cpu performance especially.

Ive had same issue since the eq windows compatibility patch. I load a group profile and 50/50 chance any given login freezes before seeing server select. Ive waited 10min without response and always have to close and retry.

I just tried everything... Disabled ALL background apps besides discord... Never started MacroQuest, I updated graphics drivers, disabled GeForce Experience overlay. 2nd time opening the eqgame.exe it crashed without MacroQuest on at all.

This is a problem with my computer and everquest... No idea at this point

It is an older desktop,
  • i7-4930K CPU
  • 32GB RAM
  • Windows 7 Ultimate
  • Nvidia GTX 780
  • Game is installed on a normal 7200 hard drive

I tried the Steam install and the one from SoE directly... both have the same issue. I tried booting in different resolutions, from the patcher, from the exe directly... it always gives the 50/50 freeze.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh the processor is factory overclocked, but doubt that is an issue.

I was having the same issue. How I solved it was to load the games in windowed mode 800x600 then fullscreen the one I want. I even pieced together a small ui. To fix, 1. log into one account 2.when you get to server select alt+enter to window mode, then exit game. Then try to log back in. If that doesn't work there's another thing that can be tried. But we'll go with this first.

Not sure what the issue could be, however I load up to 20 toons on one computer without a problem for the most part. Sometimes when I select load all the first one doesn't log in, but other than that no problems.

Question - Game freezing on loading multiple clients?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back