• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Fresh start question for 6boxers (1 Viewer)

dman2509

RedCents
742¢
How do you 6boxers do it?
Do you run 6 level 1 characters around Gloomingdeep Jail or do you level each one to level 10 first and then group them?
Any PL'ing involved in there?
Curious.

Do you run 6 level 1 characters around Gloomingdeep Jail or do you level each one to level 10 first and then group them?
Curious.
that depends on what you have at your disposal - if i was starting fresh i'd consider heroicing toons - at least the tank to PL the rest of the team to be with me - because my goal/focus is current game content, so i want to get there as fast as makes sense (as in, get there fast but not hurt myself by being 120 with 0 AAs).

i usually skip glooming deep (actually always), I was doing some the other day with CWTN for fun, and realized i've never been there outside of hand the key, and leave.

you can actually uncheck "Tutorial" when you create a toon to skip it entirely.

If you are 6 boxing , skip the Tutorial and go straight into Crescent reach.

Go right to the bears and cats area just over the bridge and you will be fine. Later on go the the Skeleton and zombie area , easily can get to level 25 there

unless you *want* to play low levels.. easiest is to get a heroic.. Sic says tank, i like cleric? set group, let them wander through hotzones... check bags often.. they will self level.. i dont bother with glooming and only do missions 75+.. the early stuff, 3-4 days of mindless slaughter..

If you are new to the game or it's been a very long time, I would not recommend heroic toons.
Play to a certain level where you would learn your class, once comfortable, heroic them if you wish.

Usually with the tools available on here, it makes it much easier to 6 box.
Also would help if you find a EQ level guide online, just follow that to level/quest etc.

All the best!

Yeah do not do Heroics toons YET if you just came back to the game. Try and feel out the content , toons and strategy you want to implement. With a 6 toon operation you will have a lot of fun starting over and you will probably end up making adjustments as you go along

Having recently started a FTP 6-box due to an enforce holiday from my main team, I can say what I did to level 60 or so. This was a team of 6 (SK, ENC, CLR, MAG, MAG, BST).

First, skip the tutorial.

Second, I recommend either RGMercs or CWTN plugins. KA is great, but upgrading the INI files every 5-10 levels would be a PITA. If leveling a new team the plugins are worth $20 to me just to avoid this (and I already had most of them).

Third, and available only if you have a higher level main or friend with some plat - spend a few K plat on the Red Wine quest from Lady Shae in WFP (no evil races need apply). No need to actually do any quest dialog, just buy stacks of 1000 from a bartender and hand 4000 at a time to Lady Shae. Easy and cheap level 12, can go as high as you want given enough time and platinum.

Finally, just follow the Hero's Journey questline. Give most of the dropped gear you gather to the tank. Quests will earn you pieces for the rest as you go.

With this team and this path they made level 62 in about a week when the main team got back from their holiday. No PL at all besides the Red Wine plat. No gear, no buffs, nothing. But I think they are reaching a level where gear will start becoming a bit more of a priority.

Everyone has made a lot of good points. And there are a lot of ways to go about it. I think the first question is what are you trying to accomplish with the team? Do you want to meander around the old world zones soaking nostalgia and getting old school gear that revives old memories like a scream mace? Or do you want to level on a quicker time line and push towards more up to date content? Maybe you just want to level up to a certain range and go back and experience some xpacs that you missed along the way. I think that dictates a lot of how I handle a team out of the gates.

Am I goofing off old world - go old world starting zones - run naked to one zone I like - team em up and wreck havoc across the newbie zone where I will be most likely all alone to relish the sound of decaying skeletons falling into pieces at my feet.

Am I trying to move a toon or group into a certain range that I like - PL the crap out of them with my SK until I get them all where I want them. Then turn them loose to farm up some cash / items / AA.

Am I trying to be more end game minded ( keeping in mind I already run 19 accounts ) - heroic team out of the gate.

I don't think there is a right or wrong. Just what you plan to do along your journey. I have more serious teams and I have my all gnome ankle-biter gnomercy brigade that terrorizes anything taller than they are. Because reasons - and probably too much Screwball whiskey.

Do you. Have fun. Even if your main tank is a paladin like mine.

Curious.
I ask in General who on our server is swarming pwlvl and see if the have a seat and are able to do it for a reasonable fee (usually 65 is about 100k per seat, 2-3 hrs). So I make 4-5 chars...do a run...then complete the teams on a different day to from 65 to 85 using a fully geared/aa'd 90 tank. From 85 to 110 i'll just sit them on a group i have grinding somewhere for trademats or spells until they hit 110 as needed.

Heroic is a way to go, but kind of expensive. You can usually be at 110 in a couple of days if you're in the ftp route...then like the pro's share above i'll set them to slowly grind ts to sell to the /barter folks to get gear/spells...and keep an eye on bazaar for tov non-prestige drops i need when they prices are good i'll buy them out.

Key best practice I recommend is to rotate your teams, hours, and keep the grinding down to 3-4 hrs max with no afk play. Also don't flood bazaar and crash buyers...they're after all buying over cost (fronting you cash) and don't need you competing with your sales and/or need your support buying their wares.

Just my two cents. Pop a krono on tanks/healer/crowd/dps when available...enjoy it...that's the most important thing. CWTN plug-ins for DPS/Crowd-Control/Healer...i write/borrow from here/or customize my own ini's for tanks

If you have the means or a friend that can port you to Icefall Glacier, there's a ground spawn that you can take to Librarian Hemfar in Crescent Reach that will get you to lvl 12. I spent about 10 minutes in Glooming Deep once upon a time to never return again. Folks will mention the gear but with a full group in Crescent Reach you will out level that gear quickly and also pick up new gear. Just a thought...

These people are all so crazy. I love the Glooming Deep tutorial for leveling a toon or 6. make your group and enter the tutorial to get level 2 for free, yes free all you do is turn in a key. Then leave the tutorial and head to Pok/GL and ask for a group temperance and a the level 49ish mage ds. now go back into the tutorial and run through it at breakneck speed. You will net a few pieces of gear and some plat to start your journey. Remember spells will cost you a lot more than you think.

What I suggest is you make 6 toons and just play the low levels 1-50 and see what class combination best suits you. Then you can always easily backtrack.
One of my favorite combinations is 3 mages, Shaman, bard and SK

I always start them in the tutorial - just for the middle quests - kinda like getting your epic. Its a tradition.

Then I do the Icefall zip to level 13.

And after that......I get close to level 20 in the Moors or Cresent Reach. There is a staff in Cresent Reach I like to get for everyone. Easy quest. Great Staff of the Dark Apprentice - there is a melee and caster version

The I get the Adventure Stone quest so they can all use the Magus if needed.

And after that its just whatever is of interest. Since I am usually level 20 by now I will get the hot zone dailys from Teek and hang out in whatever zone that is. Usually get a couple near my level in case I get bored with one or don't like it

I enjoy the tutorial, but if I was starting fresh with 6 level 1s (assuming they're gold) I'd probably split them into 2 groups of 3 and let my 3 tank mercs per group straight up murder everything in their path which would probably be easier in CR and the zone right outside it. moors? This should get you to 30s suuuuper easily and quickly, then just move around and play catch up in skills once it slows down in the 60s

You might be able to get to lvl 100 in a day or two powerleveling but don't forget heroics come with gear, spells, aa, and progression done up to their level.

It also depends on whether you have other resources on that server supporting you, but I agree with dannuic. Learning the low level class only prepares you in the broadest sense for the high level version of that class, and even then you’ll be learning it again anyway so I disagree with the idea that leveling through the low levels you’ll learn your class better.

If you don’t have any other resources, Gloomingdeep is good to get you a start. If you do, probably skip it after the first turn in. But also, it gives you a reintroduction to the game and you may find things you didn’t know or forgot so it’s useful if you haven’t played in a while.

I agree with Knightly on most of his post. I play with some "Raiders" that recently returned to game and have toons that are lvl 115+ and are supposed to be good dps and when the dump is shown it looks as if all they did was auto attack. It is imperative you learn what your class can bring to the table before the 85+ game, mostly because most of the groups you are going to find 85+ are going to involve some sort of power leveling. Now since he is making his own crew that will be less important, but knowing what your toons can do will make you that much better as a boxer. Take my group for example I have 3 zerkers and while I tear through content I can pet you a buffalo nickel that I am not getting the most out of them. They average 100-135k dps and they are lvl 116. When Sic reads how bad their dps is he will cringe. They are that bad because I know absolutely nothing about the class.

Well I did 6-Box back in the day but it has been a long time and I am not real sure that I can do it now.

I still have a number of my old accounts all around lvl 100 or so but I am kind of Old and Slow now and not real sure of what I am doing.

I do think that Kiss-Assist could be a major help with it, if I can ever get it and get it up and running.

If you are going with Kiss-Assist then make sure to bookmark:

I'm not an expert at anything but I use this A LOT. If you are just lazy you can copy/paste someone else's .ini's. I haven't found one that doesn't work yet. I've even started posting my own.

Leveling wise, I've perfected this weird technique of using a high level bard and dr00d combo. I round up around 40 mobs with bard (none melee wep in main hand and shield in offhand) with no DS on. Let char I'm leveling AE (if no AE then I pair the leveling char with a wiz or brd for AE) and then hit bard with DS and /sit until they all die. My route is Crescent reach(panthers then skellies till 20)/Great Divide(tizmaks)/City of Mist (basically 3 pulls will clear zone)/Crypt of Decay (3 pull this zone too) and then they are basically high enough level to group with my guys and I can PL them the rest of the way normal.

well I started a test group last week for fun and they are all level 30 now. Still have some armor spots that are naked and the rest are just junky low level stuff. Fun to see how MQ2 works and I am no programmer by any means but I am trying to figure it out as I go along. Here is my lineup:

gnome paladin (gold)
dwarf berserker (gold)
wood elf bard (gold)
dwarf berserker (f2p)
halfling ranger (f2p)
froglok cleric (f2p)

This is my first time "playing" a paladin, ranger and cleric. I do use the paladin as the driver so no macros set for him. I would normally run a SK tank but I already have 2 on other accounts. I also miss having ports and considered a druid in the ranger spot but have never played a ranger before so there you go. Now the only class I haven't played yet is a warrior. Maybe next time I can try WAR,BRD,MAG,MAG,CLR + MNK/ROG or triple MAG maybe?

UPDATE:

The all melee toon squad is now level 60 and they are doing their thing. Leveling to 60 is nice and fast, then a lull to about 75 and from 75 to 100 I hit Gribbles usually (zzzz I know). I set the assists for all of them at 95% mob health but it feels like the zerkers jump in sooner and then the bard and ranger get in. Not sure if there is something I can change so it happens more consistently or if that is normal? The bard also seems to take her time with mezzing vs the enchanter in my main crew that will sometimes pull the mez off even before the add gets to the camp. I've been using the default .ini for the toons and editing them along the way so there is likely lots of extraneous lines in the file. Maybe I need to cut out anything unnecessary and shorten the .ini?

Started a new toon squad of all F2P toons because I wanted to replace the 2 rogue mercs in my main 3box with 2 mage F2P accounts. The lineup for that crew is: BST,MAG,MAG,NEC,DRU,CLR. No tank, just pet classes! Druid for ports cuz I already got a wizzy.

The next question is, and this is probably a Kissassist question, how do I target my pets with my healers? Cleric seems to be healing the party just fine but not the pets.

Can't answer the pet heal question, but I just wanted to say I have the same feeling about my bard. I feel that the bard is slow to mez and sometimes will just stop doing anything but mezzing. Like he will mez a mob and wait until I kill the other mobs and attack his mezzed one before doing anything useful again.

I personally would have made the clr gold instead of the brd.

For me i pl with my sk always 1 to 65 in 2 to 3 hours, stop there to do AA, gear, skills,
then pl 100 and repeat, then 100 to max level they sit in my main group and get exp,
after 100 they get what ever gear drops. i outside my main group though they all stay FTP just for farming purposes and buffing.
i hate the low end stuff for me its all about getting to the point i can use them to beniift my main team weather its farming ts materials or just making plat.
sk, cler, enc, zerk, zerk, bst is my usual setup but thinking of making a war, druid, bard, zerk, monk, rogue group

For me i pl with my sk always 1 to 65 in 2 to 3 hours, stop there to do AA, gear, skills,
then pl 100 and repeat, then 100 to max level they sit in my main group and get exp,
after 100 they get what ever gear drops. i outside my main group though they all stay FTP just for farming purposes and buffing.
i hate the low end stuff for me its all about getting to the point i can use them to beniift my main team weather its farming ts materials or just making plat.
sk, cler, enc, zerk, zerk, bst is my usual setup but thinking of making a war, druid, bard, zerk, monk, rogue group

Is there a PL guide somewhere? How do you do 1-65 in 2-3 hrs?? Hatchery?
I was trying to PL my 67 DRU with my SK but either the dmg shield I had was either too weak or way too strong. Hard to find that sweet goldilocks dmg shield at around 2k.

I was trying to PL my 67 DRU with my SK but either the dmg shield I had was either too weak or way too strong. Hard to find that sweet goldilocks dmg shield at around 2k.
Take a look at:
https://www.redguides.com/community/threads/from-character-creation-to-yes-another-guide.58722/

as well as:
https://www.redguides.com/community...-1-3-or-more-characters-level-1-to-110.68598/

Best thing I can say... have the SK gather mobs enough that he'll not die just sitting there taking a beating, then get AOE agro... then make sure the druid damages all the mobs... then DS on the the SK... boom Druid gets xp and loot!

At 67 there are many places... recommend finding something off the beaten path. make sure to set campfire (need 3 toons), you'll mess up a time or two and the dru (or SK) will eat it.

I've seen a bard/pal duo this a bunch of times...one will pull half the zone...someone in group gets aoe aggro...then they do something to clear the swarm and the group gets the exp. It's amazing and super convenient

i mass pull zones hold agro then use the hitmac to make sure the mobs get hit at least once. example i can pull 3/4 of cresent reach in 1 pull so thats a quick 20 ish levels.
i just find empty zones at least 10 lvl above the toons lvl being pl. it been about 2 years since i did my last team. i adjust pulls based on damage the sk takes
i have done some hatchery too. and even that i can pull the entire zone at once so it goes so much quicker. and if i use exp pots its even quicker.

i also dont do a damage shield until i know every mob has been hit once. i just keep spamming ae hate. them use my mage to ds as needed

Most of the time when people use SK to PL they forget to mention that they are using a wurmslayer that negates a specific amount of dmg. I almost always PL from 11-25 in Cresent reach on my cleric. you can go 1-25, butI like doing the tutorial for the gear. I take my clr and PLee to the last bridge in the upper part of the zone. I buff PLee with temperance. I park him center of bridge. I then remove all forms of DS from cleric and run around collecting undead mobs (remember pulls should start smallish or the PLee dies too fast) I wait for the mobs to gather up and beat on clr. I then the highest lvl blood spell I have (I think it is 100) and immediately run over the bridge, dropping the train onto the PLee. (undead mobs will stop and hit PLee because I don't have any real aggro). The mobs all die in 1 hit and the PLee gets the credit. Rinse and repeat. As the PLee gets higher lvl they can withstand more hits so pulls can get bigger. After about 20 mins you should be 25ish where you will need to move to next area.

Next area I use pally because pally AA root lasts longer than Clr. I head to the upper left part of the map that has skellies. I pull 5-8 in such a way that they all hit my back and i do zero dmg. I root each one then move away and use single target reveres dmg shield (highest lvl Mark spell) on each then send in the PLee and blammo instant levels. You might ask why single target instead of blood spell. The reason is the blood spell doesn't hit hard enough and the PLee gets dead quick since they are hitting him multiple times. The single target version kills them in one hit. This area works until about 35ish, higher but it slows down after 35. You will never have trouble with respawns.

From here you have options, but I find it easiest to just go to mesa and do giants the same as the skellies. I do this until 40 at most since I have a trick up my sleeve. At 40 I log in my clr and my lvl 60 bard (yes I have a 60 bard for only one purpose to PL my toons. I hate bards but this makes them useful to me. I take all 3 toons to Nadox. I park in the hall where the undead start. I strip cleric of all DS's and then run thru the undead area grabbing ALL of the undead. There is like 70-100 mobs, maybe more. I then run them back to near my other toons and I start buildiung up aggro via heals. It takes a few mins to build it, but then I send in my bard (who is now grouped with my PLee) to aoe dmg the mobs. I make sure to get a few ticks in using his LOWEST dmg song. I then click on DS to the clr and let the mobs joyfully kill themselves on me. (If I am in a hurry i will run a mage over and DS the cleric as well to make it faster. Once all those die I strip DS and then go up and grab a ton of the live mobs (be sure to not get casters because they gate) and repeat. I do this until 57.

Now that toon is eligible to group with my other useless toon, my 85 monk. I go into the dream and group with the monk and leave the cleric outside the group to heal and get the PLee and can do this until he is high enough to group with a 100+ toon. This is in no way faster than hatchery, but it is 10000% less boring and you get loot as well. And you don't need an SK.

Most of the time when people use SK to PL they forget to mention that they are using a wurmslayer that negates a specific amount of dmg. I almost always PL from 11-25 in Cresent reach on my cleric. you can go 1-25, butI like doing the tutorial for the gear. I take my clr and PLee to the last bridge in the upper part of the zone. I buff PLee with temperance. I park him center of bridge. I then remove all forms of DS from cleric and run around collecting undead mobs (remember pulls should start smallish or the PLee dies too fast) I wait for the mobs to gather up and beat on clr. I then the highest lvl blood spell I have (I think it is 100) and immediately run over the bridge, dropping the train onto the PLee. (undead mobs will stop and hit PLee because I don't have any real aggro). The mobs all die in 1 hit and the PLee gets the credit. Rinse and repeat. As the PLee gets higher lvl they can withstand more hits so pulls can get bigger. After about 20 mins you should be 25ish where you will need to move to next area.

Next area I use pally because pally AA root lasts longer than Clr. I head to the upper left part of the map that has skellies. I pull 5-8 in such a way that they all hit my back and i do zero dmg. I root each one then move away and use single target reveres dmg shield (highest lvl Mark spell) on each then send in the PLee and blammo instant levels. You might ask why single target instead of blood spell. The reason is the blood spell doesn't hit hard enough and the PLee gets dead quick since they are hitting him multiple times. The single target version kills them in one hit. This area works until about 35ish, higher but it slows down after 35. You will never have trouble with respawns.

From here you have options, but I find it easiest to just go to mesa and do giants the same as the skellies. I do this until 40 at most since I have a trick up my sleeve. At 40 I log in my clr and my lvl 60 bard (yes I have a 60 bard for only one purpose to PL my toons. I hate bards but this makes them useful to me. I take all 3 toons to Nadox. I park in the hall where the undead start. I strip cleric of all DS's and then run thru the undead area grabbing ALL of the undead. There is like 70-100 mobs, maybe more. I then run them back to near my other toons and I start buildiung up aggro via heals. It takes a few mins to build it, but then I send in my bard (who is now grouped with my PLee) to aoe dmg the mobs. I make sure to get a few ticks in using his LOWEST dmg song. I then click on DS to the clr and let the mobs joyfully kill themselves on me. (If I am in a hurry i will run a mage over and DS the cleric as well to make it faster. Once all those die I strip DS and then go up and grab a ton of the live mobs (be sure to not get casters because they gate) and repeat. I do this until 57.

Now that toon is eligible to group with my other useless toon, my 85 monk. I go into the dream and group with the monk and leave the cleric outside the group to heal and get the PLee and can do this until he is high enough to group with a 100+ toon. This is in no way faster than hatchery, but it is 10000% less boring and you get loot as well. And you don't need an SK.
i click off every buff on my sk and use a shield and a non damage weapon so the only way i can damage them with sk i when i put ds on

So powerleveling all comes down to what account (I tend to prefer to use my SK but until I put a second sk (recent) on another account I've done the same with Shaman. Essentially you have the high level pul a massive train and with no riposte gear. Build a lot of aggro. If you have a shaman up to you can cast ae malo and then have the lowby AE or clicky ae. Once you've done it 2-4 casts depending on resists. Have the high level get hit with DS and then sit. In an empty zone you can go from 30-40 in a single pull of a group of powerleveled chars. It's not a complex process up until level 85) older world zones is always better do to less damage/hp. At 85-90 start grouping them with the high levels to powerlevel.

I personally enjoy the leveling experience. It's been since 2007 for me and this game, so it was nice to see new zones and stuff I never really experienced before. Starting from level 1, no heroic toons. I made my 1st toon Feb 14th without realizing the 64 bit patch. I think I had my full 6 box started the week after. Never looked back. It was worth it to build them together. I am almost 96 now.

Also if you need help finding best zones to grind in, open up the maps and go to expansion content and see what zones have what level mobs. Always a good idea to fight in the older expansions because they are much easier and faster to kill

Question - Fresh start question for 6boxers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back