• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Explain this redcents thing to me please. (1 Viewer)

RedCents
164¢
Hail and well met.. uh, I have a guildmate telling me to give him redcents. I want to call him out for being some kind of redcent con artist but apparently this is a thing, explain please :) But, since I'm here and now I'm curious.
I am also known as [deleted by mod] .. hello everyone :)

Howdy, here is the link to the redcents info
> RedCents <

if you didn't find their content useful, helpful, or otherwise "redcentable" absolutely don't redcent them. in fact - feel free to (privately) shame them for being a "bad usage".

Bad usage:
You give a RedCent because you like their name.
  • You trade RedCents with other users.
  • You give RedCents to people you like, regardless of the post content.

Hail and well met.. uh, I have a guildmate telling me to give him redcents. I want to call him out for being some kind of redcent con artist but apparently this is a thing, explain please :) But, since I'm here and now I'm curious.
alright, I am now known as [deleted by mod], I've been called worse things.. thank you for the info :)

That's like when people try to make 2 accounts to redcent back and forth ....it never works and one or both will wind up in that dark forum.

Gotcha, I was more or less harassing my guild mate while I tried to decipher what he was talking about with the redcents.. Sheesh, if they would have had this when ezboards was a thing, I'd be still rich from all my blather :)

Guessing putting EQ names or real names here is not supposed to happen. No one would ever guess that my real life name could possibly be "Pancakeninjadad"

Tell him to quit being a borderline conman and just participate in the forums. He'll never have a problem with redcents again.

Actually, strike that, he doesn't even have to participate. He just has to use his 4 redcent reacts every day on something he finds useful or entertaining. 4x30 = >50. Every month you can gain 2.4 months worth of redcents just by using your reacts every day. You never even have to say hello.

And just trying to be helpful once in awhile goes a long way. I'm set for 2 years and I've only commented a few dozen times, total.

Tell him to quit being a borderline conman and just participate in the forums. He'll never have a problem with redcents again.

Actually, strike that, he doesn't even have to participate. He just has to use his 4 redcent reacts every day on something he finds useful or entertaining. 4x30 = >50. Every month you can gain 2.4 months worth of redcents just by using your reacts every day. You never even have to say hello.

And just trying to be helpful once in awhile goes a long way. I'm set for 2 years and I've only commented a few dozen times, total.
I think I might have to read your response a few times just to get the primary idea of what you're saying. :)))))

Alright. So after reading how redcents work. And now browsing around on the forums. I do know that I might be clicky click clicker when it comes to redcents donations to other users. I'm at a loss at why the, I'm still confused, not as much but I have to say that this is the top question on my head. An it is, "WHY can I only give out 4 redcents - cuz I have a lot to say usually and def more to ask. Thanks in avance

I think I might have to read your response a few times just to get the primary idea of what you're saying. :)))))

No need, I'll be happy to break it down.

If you're active in the forums (and not just filling it up with nothing) you're inevitably going to have people redcent react to your comments. People reward usefulness very regularly here.

However, you don't even need to actively post if you don't want, because you have redcent reacts of your own. 4 a day, to be precise. You get 1 redcent for each one you use (and the recipient receives redcents as well). If you use all 4 a day for your entire 30 day subscription, you'll earn 120 redcents in 30 days. 1 month is only 50 redcents, so you can maintain your level 2 indefinitely just by using your redcent reacts even if you never post again.

As for why you only get 4 a day, that's to limit the supply of free redcents. Since you can use them to maintain your subscription and redcents are actually given out to both you and the recipient of a redcent react, it would cause thousands of extra redcents to just exist out of nowhere every single day. They want to reward people who are active in the forums because that's useful to them and keeps the community alive and thriving. But at the end of the day they're still selling a product. They don't want everyone to be able to instantly get infinite level 2 for practically no effort.

Alright. So after reading how redcents work. And now browsing around on the forums. I do know that I might be clicky click clicker when it comes to redcents donations to other users. I'm at a loss at why the, I'm still confused, not as much but I have to say that this is the top question on my head. An it is, "WHY can I only give out 4 redcents - cuz I have a lot to say usually and def more to ask. Thanks in avance

Redcents are supposed to be provided to the posts that are helpful to you. When you first get to redguides it's likely that a very large amount of posts are helpful to you.
If there were no limits to Redcenting people, then nobody would ever pay for subscription fees through redguides. So it's a way to earn a sub and more based on your amount of contribution to the community, but also limits how appreciative you can be on any given day. Since by giving redcents you earn redcents, if there was no limit someone could just redcent every post until they had enough redcents to pay their sub, or buy krono (when available), get a new coffee mug (which costs to create, and ship), etc.

It's intended to be a system that rewards you for helping, and promotes you giving others redcents who do help. It encourages positive responses to questions instead of flaming and an overall positive experience at redguides. Of course there will always be toxic people, but I like to believe that Redcents plays a big part in keeping some members of the community positive instead of making every answer someone gives RTFM kinda stuff.

No need, I'll be happy to break it down.

If you're active in the forums (and not just filling it up with nothing) you're inevitably going to have people redcent react to your comments. People reward usefulness very regularly here.

However, you don't even need to actively post if you don't want, because you have redcent reacts of your own. 4 a day, to be precise. You get 1 redcent for each one you use (and the recipient receives redcents as well). If you use all 4 a day for your entire 30 day subscription, you'll earn 120 redcents in 30 days. 1 month is only 50 redcents, so you can maintain your level 2 indefinitely just by using your redcent reacts even if you never post again.

As for why you only get 4 a day, that's to limit the supply of free redcents. Since you can use them to maintain your subscription and redcents are actually given out to both you and the recipient of a redcent react, it would cause thousands of extra redcents to just exist out of nowhere every single day. They want to reward people who are active in the forums because that's useful to them and keeps the community alive and thriving. But at the end of the day they're still selling a product. They don't want everyone to be able to instantly get infinite level 2 for practically no effort.

Keep in mind giving redcents does not take away from your redcents. Doing it that way is fine and dandy for some but I prefer the feeling I get when I post something useful. Maybe its just an old resource or way of doing something that folks have over looked. And posts are seldom criticized and/or argued about or dissed here unlike other forums. edit: woops just read the days posts so guess it does happen but not often lol

These forums are so helpful within the programs offered and outside of them also. Many useful tips

Redcents are supposed to be provided to the posts that are helpful to you. When you first get to redguides it's likely that a very large amount of posts are helpful to you.
If there were no limits to Redcenting people, then nobody would ever pay for subscription fees through redguides. So it's a way to earn a sub and more based on your amount of contribution to the community, but also limits how appreciative you can be on any given day. Since by giving redcents you earn redcents, if there was no limit someone could just redcent every post until they had enough redcents to pay their sub, or buy krono (when available), get a new coffee mug (which costs to create, and ship), etc.

It's intended to be a system that rewards you for helping, and promotes you giving others redcents who do help. It encourages positive responses to questions instead of flaming and an overall positive experience at redguides. Of course there will always be toxic people, but I like to believe that Redcents plays a big part in keeping some members of the community positive instead of making every answer someone gives RTFM kinda stuff.
Thank you! That makes more sense, and of course thank you for illuminating it more. I already like that what I have read throughout the forums is informative and so far all positive. As opposed to the typical burn and troll forums. So thank you all who have participated in this for me. I appreciate it.

I generally Redcent people who made me laugh too.

Choose a new password :
potato
Sorry, password must contain at least 8 letters.
boiled potato
Sorry, password must contain at least one number.
1 boiled potato
Sorry, password cannot contain spaces
50flippinboiledpotatoes
Sorry, password must contain capital letters.
50FLIPPINboiledpotatoes
Sorry, capital letters must not be consecutive.
IwillShove50FlippinBoiledPotatoesUpYourAss,IfYouDoNotGiveMeAccessImmediately
Sorry, password must not contain punctuation.
NowIamSeriouslyGettingPissedOffIwillShove50FlippinBoiledPotatoesUpYourAssIfYouDoNotGiveMeAccessImmediately
Sorry, you can't change your password to a password that has already been used with this account. Choose a new password :

Choose a new password :
potato
boiled potato
1 boiled potato
50flippinboiledpotatoes
50FLIPPINboiledpotatoes
NowIamSeriouslyGettingPissedOffIwillShove50FlippinBoiledPotatoesUpYourAssIfYouDoNotGiveMeAccessImmediately
Sorry, you can't change your password to a password that has already been used with this account. Choose a new password :
reminds me of this one

haDqEPz.jpg

Choose a new password :
potato
boiled potato
1 boiled potato
50flippinboiledpotatoes
50FLIPPINboiledpotatoes
This made me laugh.

Question - Explain this redcents thing to me please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back