• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Expanding Box Team (1 Viewer)

haggardone1

RedCents
153¢
I've been running 2 box NEC/MAG for a month before RG and was grouping with some friends to get a full team together. I've added a bard to the mix for NEC/MAG/BRD and am enjoying that

I'm thinking of expanding my team to include a Tank and Healer. I like the idea of having a WAR/CLR, but that's mostly due to diversity from my friends group. This would give me NEC/MAG/BRD/WAR/CLR.

That leaves a gap of one toon that I have no idea on.

I'm not bound to the CLR/WAR idea and enjoy pets, but I found melee with the bard fun too. Bards are awesome. Any thoughts on buildouts here?

SK bring so much to a box group - as does pallies. My personal pref is SK>Pal>War

You are robbing yourself if you don't have *some* cc - I personally prefer bard I'm almost all circumstances these days.

Hello, I think everyone will always start off with saying play with what you like. Having fun and enjoying the game will keeping coming back. End of PSA.

So I think you are in really good spot. Just about anything you add will give you a bonus. BER are good for dps and give you a little more melee. With that said you could also do a BST with backup heals and another dps pet. Wiz or DrU for ports. My choice would be BST but I'm bias, I love my kitty BSTs buffs.

I've been running 2 box NEC/MAG for a month before RG and was grouping with some friends to get a full team together. I've added a bard to the mix for NEC/MAG/BRD and am enjoying that

I'm thinking of expanding my team to include a Tank and Healer. I like the idea of having a WAR/CLR, but that's mostly due to diversity from my friends group. This would give me NEC/MAG/BRD/WAR/CLR.

I'm not bound to the CLR/WAR idea and enjoy pets, but I found melee with the bard fun too. Bards are awesome. Any thoughts on buildouts here?
Well you already have a good start. I don't know your levels and your sub status, but if you are going to add a paid acct to the mix, start with an SK. Either a bard or an enchanter - bards are great but so are enchanters. Shamans are great healers but i'm going to suggest a beastlord instead of a shaman, so a cleric fits in well. Now that leaves lots of casters and pets so toss up on the enchanter/bard question. I'd probly go enchanter for the buffs for this crew. so that puts you at SK, Cleric, Enchanter, Mage, Beast, Necro - that is a fantastic setup for a caster group with lots of pets and lots of utility and you'll never run out of mana on anyone.

Well you already have a good start. I don't know your levels and your sub status, but if you are going to add a paid acct to the mix, start with an SK. Either a bard or an enchanter - bards are great but so are enchanters. Shamans are great healers but i'm going to suggest a beastlord instead of a shaman, so a cleric fits in well. Now that leaves lots of casters and pets so toss up on the enchanter/bard question. I'd probly go enchanter for the buffs for this crew. so that puts you at SK, Cleric, Enchanter, Mage, Beast, Necro - that is a fantastic setup for a caster group with lots of pets and lots of utility and you'll never run out of mana on anyone.
So far, I have NEC(120), MAG(120), and BRD(Almost 115). All are paid currently, Tank would need to be paid too from what I have seen.

So far, I have NEC(120), MAG(120), and BRD(Almost 115). All are paid currently, Tank would need to be paid too from what I have seen.
Yes tank should be gold so you can equip non-prestige gear - its a pretty sizable gap between prestige and non. My max - AA bard thrives in non-prestige gear. An enchanter does too. I have one each prestige, and non-prestige mage - both work great. Obviously the higher pet focus from prestige earrings is an advantage. Cleric also does just fine as FTP. Of course all characters should get max AA, so even if you plan to FTP, still have sub or drop krono as needed to get big autogrant at 115 and farm AA to max

Agree with @Sic you have a pet build there so add sk, enc, cleric

Yeah I’m bringing my bard up as an eventual FTP. What I’m thinking is to add a cleric and SK. The last would be enchanter. Have the MAG/SK/NEC all subscription based and the BRD/ENC/CLR FTP. In the case I want one of these subbed too, which would benefit the most. Obviously they will all need to be subbed for auto grant and what not, but in the end.

Yeah I’m bringing my bard up as an eventual FTP. What I’m thinking is to add a cleric and SK. The last would be enchanter. Have the MAG/SK/NEC all subscription based and the BRD/ENC/CLR FTP. In the case I want one of these subbed too, which would benefit the most. Obviously they will all need to be subbed for auto grant and what not, but in the end.
My two redcents...only sub tanks...maybe a melee dps if it's a main...everything else go FTP...the difference (or gain) is minimal...If that tracks for you...instead of subbing 3-6 chars...you can (in-time) scale to having 5-6 tanks subbed that will give you 5-6 viable groups to alternate and/or solo raid with.

I Got It Party GIF by Red Fang

Last edited:
Pets!
SK Shaman Mage Necro Bl Bard

Bard still offers lots in this set up. However, I feel that shaman as healer absolutely requires the rez stick. Cleric of course it's great and get bl focus too

Have fun!

Edit: I run that team except with a rogue rather than a Necro.

Last edited:
My two redcents...only sub tanks...maybe a melee dps if it's a main...everything else go FTP...the difference (or gain) is minimal...If that tracks for you...instead of subbing 3-6 chars...you can (in-time) scale to having 5-6 tanks subbed that will give you 5-6 viable groups to alternate and/or solo raid with.

I Got It Party GIF by Red Fang
I like the way you think lol. Now I need to rethink how I'm going to do this. I need to get at least one core tank setup for a group to PL and what not. Once that's established, I can start breaking out others.

With my current breakout, I need to start swapping out one of my subbed casters with a tank to get started. I'm thinking of pulling the Necro and putting the SK on that account. Necro has been my main that I also play with some friends.

I can then pull in three FTP accounts for the gaps

Core Group: SK/CLR/ENC/BRD/MAG/???

Any thoughts on a good gap filler there?

Also, what are some other group breakouts that make sense specifically for FTP all except tank?

I like the way you think lol. Now I need to rethink how I'm going to do this. I need to get at least one core tank setup for a group to PL and what not. Once that's established, I can start breaking out others.

With my current breakout, I need to start swapping out one of my subbed casters with a tank to get started. I'm thinking of pulling the Necro and putting the SK on that account. Necro has been my main that I also play with some friends.

I can then pull in three FTP accounts for the gaps

Core Group: SK/CLR/ENC/BRD/MAG/???

Any thoughts on a good gap filler there?

Also, what are some other group breakouts that make sense specifically for FTP all except tank?
Last spot should be for a Beastlord. With DPS/buffs it will be a good fit!

I'd be interested to see how a group of NEC/MAG/BRD/PAL/DRU/ENC would work out for you. Tank could be an SK but I think PAL brings more to compensate for druid healing and when you start getting hit by AEs and crap. You could possibly even get by without a healer once your PAL/SK is high enough level and gear, but getting there will be a super pita.

Anyone more well-versed in the druidic ways think this is a plausible group?

I'd be interested to see how a group of NEC/MAG/BRD/PAL/DRU/ENC would work out for you. Tank could be an SK but I think PAL brings more to compensate for druid healing and when you start getting hit by AEs and crap. You could possibly even get by without a healer once your PAL/SK is high enough level and gear, but getting there will be a super pita.

Drop the bard and add a BST. overlap of ENC and BRD is kinda a waste.

PAL/DRU/ENC is a good trio vs SK/SHM/BRD

I currently run Pal shm brd nec mag wiz which does fantastic. I have tried subbing out the shm for a dru as main healer and it was a noticeable difference. My pal is my main so its ToL raid geared and can handle a lot of stuff. So yes the druid was doable, but the sham was much easier. I even tried subbing out wiz for enc because without the shm in group I had to rely on bard for slows which wasn't great. So I ran Pal Dru Brd Enc Nec Mag as you suggested and it was also doable but not nearly as effective as having Shm healer in my original group make up. Dru just burns through mana like nobodies business and Shm with canni has endless mana plus all the HoT's. I think it's preference, but that was just my experience, I'm sure others may have a different experience and/or opinions.

Interesting takes, thanks for the info! I knew BRD/ENC had some overlap but figured both brought decent enough aDPS to a caster group to be worth it. Man I wish druids were better healers. I'm still in the PL levels stage, but am trying to setup a caster group with pet tanks and DRU heals (ENC/BRD/NEC/MAG/NEC or MAG/DRU) but sounds like I'm gonna have a bad time. Blah.

Make your other characters what you enjoy, not what we suggest, unless that is what you enjoy.

Other wise they will die on the vine and never get used. I made a bard because its what was highly recommended but he sits off in an alt account cause I really did not like playing him. So now his use is so I can buy more plots in my neighborhood. And he builds up loyalty tokens so I can buy house decorations.

Made some mages and wiz and I sometimes pull them out during exp bonus to get them up a couple levels. But I like keeping them at levels where I can try and get some Beryls HF drops which is trivial loot for level 70 hot zones. Again they are used for housing/plot ownership

Made a pally - he was kind of light in the foot so made a SK who was much meaner. Both those are just hanging around with their AA mounts.

Shaman was great until I made a Beastlord. Now he is the favorite.

All this along with my 2 mains, a Ranger and an Enchanter.

So bottom line, make a few, on their own accounts, see what works for you and its ok to change around. That's how we wind up with so many accounts. I also cannot afford to pay for a lot of accounts so I have my main and one other paid. The rest were F2P and spent a Krono on them to bounce their AA and lucky me they reverted back to Silver. But that's another story.

Interesting takes, thanks for the info! I knew BRD/ENC had some overlap but figured both brought decent enough aDPS to a caster group to be worth it. Man I wish druids were better healers. I'm still in the PL levels stage, but am trying to setup a caster group with pet tanks and DRU heals (ENC/BRD/NEC/MAG/NEC or MAG/DRU) but sounds like I'm gonna have a bad time. Blah.
Yes there is some overlap between Brd and Enc. However, they do both bring a ton of adps to caster groups and they do complement each other very well. Bard is capable of CC but not nearly as quickly or as effectively as an Enc. That being said, I won't use any group without a bard as they bring so much quality of life in my opinion. Bard speed and double invis are fantastic and make moving around with box groups soooooo much easier. Bards adps for pet classes are also amazing, their aura is a massive boost to swarm pets, and their Aria song is a substantial boost to caster spells and main pet spells/melee. With a real tank, bards are more than capable of holding down the CC spot for a group while still supporting. I have another group comp that I run that is SK Clr Brd Enc Mage Bst and that group wrecks stuff too. So a bard and Enc can coexist in a group and work well together.

Question - Expanding Box Team

Users who are viewing this thread

Back