• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - EverQuest 3 or Next? (1 Viewer)

EG7 doesn't have the capital to invest in a new MMO. They are too debt heavy and not drawing new investors in fact they canceled the last one the Marvel based MMO.

Not to mention MMO's are not the new model for generating cash flow. the curse of freemium killed them. The Bean counters don't like MMO's now becuase the upfront investment is very high both in labor and funds takes years of development, and the ROI takes years to see a payoff.

Whereas freemium/mobile takes off like a rocket with very little investment and ROI is insane thanks to whales.

The only way I see a new EQ MMO is someone with a passion for it buys the IP and they ignore the bean counters.
very unlikely to happen unless Elon is a fan of EQ.

Watched the video. Annnnd, 12 minutes of my life I am not getting back as this guy isn't a very compelling blogger. This guy is speculating based on a "job posting" followed by droning on about what he wants everquest 3 to be, complimented by a healthy amount of nostalgia from EQ Vanilla, and overall bitching about the current game state, and what other MMORPG games are about in the industry.

My opinion....they (DPG / DBG) don't have the budget to embark on a mission like creating a new game from scratch in this fashion. They likely are just doing more work on the original EQ in some form, or getting ready to develop something else. Just not a new game. My 2 cents.

Watched the video. Annnnd, 12 minutes of my life I am not getting back as this guy isn't a very compelling blogger. This guy is speculating based on a "job posting" followed by droning on about what he wants everquest 3 to be, complimented by a healthy amount of nostalgia from EQ Vanilla, and overall bitching about the current game state, and what other MMORPG games are about in the industry.

My opinion....they (DPG / DBG) don't have the budget to embark on a mission like creating a new game from scratch in this fashion. They likely are just doing more work on the original EQ in some form, or getting ready to develop something else. Just not a new game. My 2 cents.
@Doc James ... 100% agree ... Maybe someone's getting fired and they haven't seen their job posted yet...

Bttf GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

@Doc James ... 100% agree ... Maybe someone's getting fired and they haven't seen their job posted yet...

Bttf GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy
Maybe! lol

I kinda felt like Doc James wrote, the video gave me nothing and took 12 min of "our" lives!
@Bholm When I was about half way through it I literally said out loud "What is this guy droning on about? What is the point of this video?". :shrug:

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'd call EQ2 a flop, as it's still running decently nearly 20 years later. I didn't personally like it, but not exactly a flop. EQNext was a flop that never got out the gate. I'll always be skeptical of anything DPG/DGC puts out. But if they actually got an EQ3 across the finish line, I would at least check it out. Even if for no other reason that it's an Everquest thing.

Although I find the video to be light on actual facts, I'm certainly not surprised that they're trying to make EQSomething. They've tried several times to do a new EQ and I imagine they'll always have an idea or two kicking around.

Thanks for saving me 12 minutes! Nothing worse than speculative trash!

Thanks for saving me 12 minutes! Nothing worse than speculative trash!
You're welcome! I mean, if it was 1 minute long or something, it wouldn't have been so aggravating, but 12 minutes. Geez....Which most of it had no real content pertaining to factual data of any kind. This guy just wanted to vent about MMORPG "stuffs"...

Why make a 3rd one when there is so much more that could be accomplished with the first one? New Spells, Content, New Classes.
Well, for a gaming company, the only way you're going to sell more games is by having new releases. EQ1 and EQ2 are essentially locked into the customer bases that they have right now. No amount of fluff marketing is going to get new players to get started in a game where they're already decades worth of effort behind established players. MMO players want the race. They want to be able to hit the starting line running and be "first" to complete whatever the prized content is. Just like EQ guilds used to race, and still do, to be the first ones to win raid content.

So thier only real option to bring EQ to another generation of gamers is to have a new release title. Unless they were willing to entertain a sort of "stat squish, character reset" thing while they rebuild the game engine to be a modern functioning engine. I, however, think next to zero current players would entertain even the mention of such a thing.

My 2 red cents..

Red cent 1=

Make EQ1 with a relaunch with upgraded unreal engine 5 graphics and expand it to have mac users to use or make their own server. For purest sake of graphics, give people the option for what servers have what. Launch new TLP with new graphics would be the best way to do it. After a certain expansion release, open server transfers to the new graphics server.

Red cent 2=

Make EQ2 with relaunch to expand to consoles (Xbox & Playstation) and potential mobile phone useage. Then name change to "Everquest Realms". This would give access to more people and have a separate line of expanding the franchise.

:)

In "Fippy's Farm Town," you will step into the paws of Fippy Darkpaw and embark on a fresh adventure into the world of agriculture, stretching from Qeynos to the Karanas! Starting with an overgrown plot of land, your aim is to transform it into a prosperous farm, growing a wide range of crops and rearing a variety of familiar creatures. The gnoll-about-town can foster relationships with EverQuest's most renowned heroes, from a grumpy Mayong Mistmoor to the regal Lady Vox. Perhaps there will even be wedding bells! As you grow your farm and establish your place in the community, the depth of Norrath unravels.

Coming soon to the Play Store

Frankly the current pricing structure is set up to maximize money earned from diehards, and no matter what they do to eq it's not going to draw in a large number of new players. A new game based on modern design, which dbg probably isn't even equipped to do, would be the only way to draw in more new players. Also most of us would probably hate it but it could draw enough players away from eq 1/2 to send them into full maintenance mode.

In "Fippy's Farm Town," you will step into the paws of Fippy Darkpaw and embark on a fresh adventure into the world of agriculture, stretching from Qeynos to the Karanas! Starting with an overgrown plot of land, your aim is to transform it into a prosperous farm, growing a wide range of crops and rearing a variety of familiar creatures. The gnoll-about-town can foster relationships with EverQuest's most renowned heroes, from a grumpy Mayong Mistmoor to the regal Lady Vox. Perhaps there will even be wedding bells! As you grow your farm and establish your place in the community, the depth of Norrath unravels.

yasss

$10

Maybe JChan's office nickname is "Fire Me Friday" or "The Crusher?" Whatever it is, I hope they fire people via the Buck Strickland method. Take workers into the bathroom while you drop last night's Taco Bell and give them the bad news.

Nice Redbot that made my day!
And for only 20 USD you can get the Elite farmer level, that lets you start 4 days before launch day (inspired by Diablo 4), plus for a limited time only the Store will have 100% crops growth boosts for sale for the small price of 9.99 USD each flask!

Anyone remember playing the PS2 EverQuest Online Adventures? I played it for a while, but If I remember correctly, the online part was like 6 players max. Mostly like dungeon runs and stuff.

I'm totally buying this if it hits, but only if it doesn't have a season pass!

If I come into Elon Musk type of money, I'll buy the IP from DBG and create an EQ3 inspired by the original. Don't worry, that's not going to happen though! Comedy Option: Everquest Roblox Edition! :D

Anyone remember playing the PS2 EverQuest Online Adventures? I played it for a while, but If I remember correctly, the online part was like 6 players max. Mostly like dungeon runs and stuff.
I think your confusing champions of Norrath with eqoa... Eqoa was much like eq PC just with sped up gameplay and it was set 500 years prior to PC timeline. Eqoa only had four person groups but their were large scale raids such as PoS isle of dread plane of disease and more.

I mean not sure if this info was out when you made this comment but there was a video where daybreak was going over a budget and had a new eq game in it so this was def confirmed

IF .. I mean IF they are going to make a EQ3 they should make it like EQ1 with the QOL that we are use to now, with updated graphics, but same game play. Let the player customize their hotkeys, keybinds, and let is be box friendly from the start!

IF .. I mean IF they are going to make a EQ3 they should make it like EQ1 with the QOL that we are use to now, with updated graphics, but same game play. Let the player customize their hotkeys, keybinds, and let is be box friendly from the start!
Highly doubt they would do anything with boxes. I bet it will be like sandbox from Elden Ring

Keep the feature creep at 0 and making a new mmo shouldn't be too costly. Literally just remake original EQ with better graphics and like maybe 10% new content and start from there. Save the new content for expansions.

Problem is unless they have an investor willing to gamble 20 to 30 million they will need to crowdfund. And crowdfunding always turns into a feature creep scam.

My 2 red cents..

Red cent 1=

Make EQ1 with a relaunch with upgraded unreal engine 5 graphics and expand it to have mac users to use or make their own server. For purest sake of graphics, give people the option for what servers have what. Launch new TLP with new graphics would be the best way to do it. After a certain expansion release, open server transfers to the new graphics server.

Red cent 2=

Make EQ2 with relaunch to expand to consoles (Xbox & Playstation) and potential mobile phone useage. Then name change to "Everquest Realms". This would give access to more people and have a separate line of expanding the franchise.

:)

Unreal Engine 5.. no thank you, I really hope that engine will die off soon enough, pile of garbage that no one really like only use because its kinda free and easy to use.

If a new EQ comes out, I would look at it, however, I wouldn't get my hopes up. EQ2 was not my cup of tea.

EQ can keep going for the foreseeable future, however, I do think it could be aided by getting brand new blood into the game and playing. The majority of "New" players these days, are people who played a long time ago, and are coming back. There really isn't a good new player entry into the game except for current players bringing friends / family into it.

I also think that EQ could benefit from integrating their own social media platform into the game, to help players communicate within the EQ ecosystem instead of having to venture to outside resources, websites, voice solutions, chat, message boards etc. It had some of that previously and it wasn't done right and has since disappeared because it was crap.

I also think that EQ could benefit from integrating their own social media platform into the game, to help players communicate within the EQ ecosystem instead of having to venture to outside resources, websites, voice solutions, chat, message boards etc. It had some of that previously and it wasn't done right and has since disappeared because it was crap.

I agree.

At the moment I'm trying to get my brothers and their girlfriends into the game :P

Each one will command a group of 6 toons, so in total we will be 36 toons. Raid force.

1 will control 6 tankers.
1 will control 6 healers.
1 will control 6 cc class, enc/brd 3/3

Rest is DPS of the kind they like the most to go with. (3 more groups of DPS'ers)

I'll guess I will be the commander of the tankers, I got most experience in that scenario.

But my bros are really tough to convince :P

They like Homm 3 and other fantasy games so I wonder, why not EQ?!

I guess my wife surely will choose 6 beast lords Vah Shia class.. she already has one level 120 bst, cat.

Discussion - EverQuest 3 or Next?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back