• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - EQ Test Server Experiences? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
7,333¢
I'm a former EQ player who played a rogue until a few months after the Kunark release (back when Rogues never got any love in groups...) and recently stepped back in a year or two ago. The live servers didn't seem particularly awesome for solo players and I don't have the time anymore to LFG regularly. I came across the RedGuide version of MQ2 and Kiss. I have a few general questions about boxing experiences but some specific questions about the test server.

1) With Kiss and VV MQ2 it seems pretty easy to get a 6-box setup up and running. Is it advisable to start at a 6-box or would a lower number plus mercs be preferable? My main goal is to get a good shot of nostalgia from the original zones and content while leveling groups up.

2) I've seen some concerns elsewhere related to Monks and Zerkers as not optimal for boxing due to their positional requirements. However, in a Kiss tutorial video I saw that a rogue can auto position behind the mob. I presume other classes can work just as well?

3) For someone who'd prefer spending subscription related money on RedGuides vs multiple accounts for boxing, is it suggested to play on the Test server? I've heard this server is a great place to play to experience some of the pay-to-play benefits but there's a potential risk of characters being deleted. Is this the case? Is it preferable to just do F2P on the normal server?

4) Beyond the intro guides are there any more intermediate or advanced guides folks would recommend?

I'm a former EQ player who played a rogue until a few months after the Kunark release (back when Rogues never got any love in groups...) and recently stepped back in a year or two ago. The live servers didn't seem particularly awesome for solo players and I don't have the time anymore to LFG regularly. I came across the RedGuide version of MQ2 and Kiss. I have a few general questions about boxing experiences but some specific questions about the test server.

1) With Kiss and VV MQ2 it seems pretty easy to get a 6-box setup up and running. Is it advisable to start at a 6-box or would a lower number plus mercs be preferable? My main goal is to get a good shot of nostalgia from the original zones and content while leveling groups up.

2) I've seen some concerns elsewhere related to Monks and Zerkers as not optimal for boxing due to their positional requirements. However, in a Kiss tutorial video I saw that a rogue can auto position behind the mob. I presume other classes can work just as well?

3) For someone who'd prefer spending subscription related money on RedGuides vs multiple accounts for boxing, is it suggested to play on the Test server? I've heard this server is a great place to play to experience some of the pay-to-play benefits but there's a potential risk of characters being deleted. Is this the case? Is it preferable to just do F2P on the normal server?

4) Beyond the intro guides are there any more intermediate or advanced guides folks would recommend?
@drwhomphd Welcome! we're lucky to have you.

1. Personally I find near-zero use for mercs these days due to MQ2 - you can be up and running a full group within 30 minutes HERE is the link to the RedGuides starter videos to help you on that path. I started with just mq2ing 2 toons, then slowly expanded, but you can do a full group right out the gate if you want to

2. - absolutely no problems with melee - zerkers, rogues, and monks are very popular boxed characters (check out the vid in my sig, I use 2 zerkers, a bard, and a bst for my dps)

3. Test has a slightly higher than average downtime compared to live servers, but they have increased xp, and free "gold" so you don't have to worry about prestige gear

4. Definitely check out those redguides newbie videos and the video in my sig --- also feel free to stop by our Discord server - we're all chatting in there 24/7, feel free to ask any and all questions

Thank's Sic, appreciate the response! I think I'll start up with a full group and appreciate all the great resources from the community!
hell yeah! get it!

We have a few "regulars" who are on test server that are always offering to help give some people some help with gear and such - so don't be shy

I have played exclusively on test since 2009. It’s been a wonderful experience. Everyone is super helpful and the economy can’t be beat - because there isn’t one, gear sells for 1pp, and anytime anyone asks for help with spells there is a race to who can get to the parcel merchant first to send them 2mil. Tons of us have so much crap on copy you see EOK rares given out almost daily. There is no worry about your characters getting deleted. The last ‘wipe’ was 2004 and it was such a debacle that they promised never to do it again. It’s just not a thing to be concerned about.

On the opposite side of the coin, I found test to be too easy. Since everything is cheap and easy there is no challenge! I like to quest and level slowly but test makes it just like a walk in the park.

Is there any raiding scene on test?
Primal Brood does raid on sat there open server raids. They currently do a mix of a lot content depending who and how many show up. So some nights might go hit some VoA raids just cause or rof or some nights might try tbm-tds-eok etc raids. Its not a soo much active content raiding scene but they do raid just to have fun.

Another person seconding the Test server. I've always enjoyed my time on Test because everyone is so friendly. Plus with Agents of Change, if you want to hit older raid content, you don't have to worry about it being up. You can grab your own instance and go have fun.

So far (a morning play session) it's been a lot of fun. I'm enjoying learning the ropes of MQ2/Kissassist/6-boxing while attempting to remember any EQ stuff I used to know that still pertains. Test has been nice and quiet so far. I'm glad to hear there's still a solid community.

So far (a morning play session) it's been a lot of fun. I'm enjoying learning the ropes of MQ2/Kissassist/6-boxing while attempting to remember any EQ stuff I used to know that still pertains. Test has been nice and quiet so far. I'm glad to hear there's still a solid community.
are you leveling up fresh or did you /testcopy?

any new character you make on the server if you are leveling up from 1 do /testbuff and you will be granted 25 with gear/spells

I'm currently leveling up from scratch. I don't have anything on the main servers. For just the personal nostalgia and seeing the new 'beginner' experience I've just been leveling up old-school style. I may do a /testbuff at level 24 if I find I didn't collect a ton of gear or feel particularly under geared. Thanks for the tip!

Is this raid org still going at it? like doing tov/cov content?
Nobody on test is raiding current content. The main Raiders are Primal Brood and they are currently running special toons raiding old content. They started at level 70 and are now up to level 90ish and raiding level appropriate content.

Nobody on test is raiding current content. The main Raiders are Primal Brood and they are currently running special toons raiding old content. They started at level 70 and are now up to level 90ish and raiding level appropriate content.
do you think there is enough people at high lvl ( 115) to raid? i used to lead a raid org

do you think there is enough people at high lvl ( 115) to raid? i used to lead a raid org
If you brought in box groups yeah probably. Enough who want to? That's the bigger question.
There is easily enough. Now getting it organized and such? That is the tall task I guess. I haven’t done any raiding since early PoP so I’m. It sure what it is involved anymore.

There is easily enough. Now getting it organized and such? That is the tall task I guess. I haven’t done any raiding since early PoP so I’m. It sure what it is involved anymore.

My understanding is some of the TOV raids are easy. They'd probably be doable in theory - especialy with all the raid copy accounts on Test.

me too, i am kinda interested, just what content are you planning to raid, and most importantly what time zone please?

I am in Texas USA so central time zone here.

My initial thought/plan was to just raid up to FTP content cause I was then planning on running ~18+ toons and either my kids were going to eat or I was going to buy newest expansion lol. I have since dropped down to just focusing on 6 toons maxing out all progression (minus raids atm) but still haven't bought the newest expansion, so I have 3 with ToV and 0 with CoV at the moment.

My thoughts with the older content wasn't soo much for gear cause there isn't much better in old raids than currently tradable on Test but for the experience and accomplishments. With 5 active people could very easily be a full raid force on Test with MQ2 and more the merrier IMO

Now is the perfect time to get into playing on Test, the anniversary is already underway. We get events about 2 weeks sooner than Live servers as we are the guinea pigs for new content. Best of Luck on Test.

im working on finishing off my crew to 115 and auged and suchs, i will be leading the raids. i have bout a years worth of leading a succesfull raid org on live. doing tbl content. when that was live. Give me like 2 ish weeks and ill start conteplating orgonizing a raid group. will probably try to start with TOV and some cov. Tov just to grab some focus items for my crew and anyone else that needs it.
Send me a message here if your interested I have Mq2Events for all of t1 of tov- Griklor, ice bound avatar pt1 and pt2, and for tower 2 and 3, working on tower 1.

Last edited:
Question - EQ Test Server Experiences?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back