• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Druid and Pally as only healers in group (1 Viewer)

RedCents
994¢
Good evening Everyone.

I have been screwing around with a few 6 box makeups.
I was wondering if anyone has had any success using a Druid as main healer with a Pally as support heals?

I typically drive a chanter and have a mage attached to him, and usually have a BL to fill out my main trio. Was thinking of throwing in my SK/Druid/Pally to fill out the group, but not sure if the druid/pally would keep up on heals?

Any thoughts?

Good evening Everyone.

I have been screwing around with a few 6 box makeups.
I was wondering if anyone has had any success using a Druid as main healer with a Pally as support heals?

I typically drive a chanter and have a mage attached to him, and usually have a BL to fill out my main trio. Was thinking of throwing in my SK/Druid/Pally to fill out the group, but not sure if the druid/pally would keep up on heals?

Any thoughts?
I've been experimenting with a druid healer lately. So far it's OK, but definitely not as strong as shaman or cleric. It's been able to keep my SK alive though, so that's what counts. I'm also not an expert on druids, so still tinkering with the ini.

In any case, I think your group could work at higher levels. SK has an amazing amount of sustain on their own (assuming the SK will tank?), so combined with druid and pally it might work out well.

Sounds like a fun group experiment.

I run a 120 DRU as a backup healer in my group and played one extensively and I kind of lean towards no as a main healer. At higher levels, SHM or CLR are much better imo

I tried druid as main healer with pally tank, it was doable but struggled on harder content or mass pulls. sham and cleric much better obviously. Druid did a lot more dps but at the cost of running oom.

Paladin, as a main tank is solid. Are you saying an SK and paladin both? Group dps would suffer horribly.
Wasn't as concerned about DPS output as I was sustainability. However, I had thought of dropping the SK for something else... but then I forgot to cancel the sub and paid for another month on it. Now I'm stuck with it for that long or I just lose the monthly sub cost..... Seems like a waste.
Really want the Paly as the main tank in the end, only because I've never had a high level paly before and am finding it kinda fun with the stuns and heals

If you want to keep the Pal then a Dru main healer might get tough. Easier with the SK tank. Some depends on your gear and progression level as well. It's a game so why not try it? Worse case is you add a Shm or Clr later. Back in PoP I 2 boxed a Shm with a Mnk as the puller/tank. Was pretty fun.

On actual content all mobs seem mezzable. As long as you stay with mezzable mobs I would not expect problems with healing. The sk with a 2h in DPS-setup isn't easy to beat on this slot and is able to pump mana to the others in group as well.

I used to run a group that consisted of Sk/Dru/Mag/Mag/Enc/Bst and the SK/Dru combo worked for me up to ToL (trying a new group at the moment).

In most content I found that the SK healed himself for 50-70% of the damage and the Dru was able to cover the rest using Remote, 2H procs, Luna and Survival / Composite to cover crucial moments. The two issues I had was when the Enc failed to lock down extra mobs and mana regen (Dru always cast Wrath dot).

Paladin, as a main tank is solid. Are you saying an SK and paladin both? Group dps would suffer horribly.
I run both of these in the same melee dps group and it is more than OK :P... that said, instead of druid I run a shaman main healer though ;)

Just my two red:rcents.

[HINT: 🐻 You too can help prevent forum fires by also "red:rcenting" (click the :rc icon to the right ---->)

Thanks; for all the feedback on this everyone. I'm still pretty shitty at driving the pally and tend to get it killed by my own hand more than any other issue....

However, that's human error, and not KA.

Thanks; for all the feedback on this everyone. I'm still pretty shitty at driving the pally and tend to get it killed by my own hand more than any other issue....

However, that's human error, and not KA.
Clarifying: I drive with the SK tank, use the Paladin in the same melee setup as a DPS who can also provide CLR buff, ToT 15% absorb, splash healing/curing, etc...

IF I were going to drive with the paladin, then I would run PAL, SHM, BRD, BL, ZERK, X (can be pretty much anything here, but I would recommend MONK (for the aura, which helps Paladin tanking a bit more even)...

Just my two red:rcents.

[HINT: 🐻 You too can help prevent forum fires by also "red:rcenting" (click the :rc icon to the right ---->)

Clarifying: I drive with the SK tank, use the Paladin in the same melee setup as a DPS who can also provide CLR buff, ToT 15% absorb, splash healing/curing, etc...

IF I were going to drive with the paladin, then I would run PAL, SHM, BRD, BL, ZERK, X (can be pretty much anything here, but I would recommend MONK (for the aura, which helps Paladin tanking a bit more even)...
Chances are after I drive pally awhile for kicks and to learn the buttons a bit better, I'll switch to drive the chanter as that's my main and most enjoyable class to play in game.....

Then just have the pally tank single targets and sk backup on unmezzable adds or pure dps

All just works in prgogress at the moment and all in the name of having a bit o jolly fun

Chances are after I drive pally awhile for kicks and to learn the buttons a bit better, I'll switch to drive the chanter as that's my main and most enjoyable class to play in game.....

Then just have the pally tank single targets and sk backup on unmezzable adds or pure dps

All just works in prgogress at the moment and all in the name of having a bit o jolly fun
As it should be! G'luck with it... I used to drive the Paladin in that setup I listed... they are NOT bad tanks, but they are definitely played differently than SK or War :)

Last edited:
To elaborate things a bit more.

Druids are a solid main healer in a caster group (shamans are definitely better for melee groups). Druids struggle a bit with mana issue, especially if you try to DPS with them. Also I don't think I ever seen a good druid kiss ini.

Paladin is actually pretty OK dps, especially if tanking (riposte), with a 2her. however, if the paladin isn't tanking, they're only bringing some emergency heals and crappy dps to the plate. as compared to something like a ranger, a ranger will parse better than the pal, and also offer a lot more adps. Paladin's bring nearly zero adps to the table.

I actually think a well played paladin is a very strong class. They are a one man indestructible object. I haven't tried mq2pal, but I know paladin is probably one of the hardest classes to automate with kiss (druid would be another that comes to mind).

But do whatever you think is fun. In general 3 months from now, it will be a lot easier to switch your group makeup than it seems right now.

Chanters can lock anything down, so between the Paladin's heals and the Druid backing it up, you should be fine. Don't pair a shd and a paladin together for grouping purposes. Just gimping your DPS for no reason.

Paladins strong side is that he/she can heal themselves while in battle, also cast some poor group heals if it comes to that.. The good Group heals has way to long re-cast time.

Reflective heals are Paladins strong tank-ability. ''Heal targets target''

Chanters can lock anything down, so between the Paladin's heals and the Druid backing it up, you should be fine. Don't pair a shd and a paladin together for grouping purposes. Just gimping your DPS for no reason.

Yeah... while running chanter, I never really have issues other than the dps gimp cuz of double tank..... Chances are I'll drop the SK for a Shaman once the SK goes silver.
As it stands now.... it's SK/CH/MAG/RNG/DRU/PAL

Question - Druid and Pally as only healers in group

Users who are viewing this thread

Back