• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - Do you tradeskill in RL? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
1,134¢
A recent post about why everyone likes the game brought to mind a questions. Some of us spend a ton of time on tradeskills in the game. Do you in real life also?

For example I used to bake, cook, bar b q etc so guess I do Baking in rl.

Used to sew so that covers Tailoring.

Never made any poisons...yet ;)

Used to do archery, that's Fletching.

Never hammered tin or made metal anything - no tinkering.

Research? oh yeah do a ton of that, be it something on Amazon I want to buy or some quest in the game.

Brewing? nope, allergic to hops

Yep.

I plan on making a post here in the next few weeks with pics and such of my new place - we will eventually have goats and sheep and chickens.

I do leather working, wood working, baking (I've posted some stuff around the boards), tinkering for sure, fishing.

My partners do brewing, tailoring (we have 7 looms), yarm making, weaving, kitting, crocheting, alchemy/potion making (herbal remedies, salves, tonics).

We all shoot bows, We all garden, We all hunt and forage in some way.

We had some foraged chicken of the woods for dinner on Friday

I just built a new archery target stand last night as a matter of fact.

We just won a kiln at auction (absolute steal)

A recent post about why everyone likes the game brought to mind a questions. Some of us spend a ton of time on tradeskills in the game. Do you in real life also?

Research? oh yeah do a ton of that, be it something on Amazon I want to buy or some quest in the game.

5 of 6 for me. I'm going to leave it at that. I was researching Amazon this morning lol. Computer Desk. Roll Top. Or hell maybe I'll mount my computer on my monitor. And just get a bed desk

Wow Sic, I never would have guessed. Sounds like you are pretty self sustainable, well done. I raise cattle for a living, out in the sticks. I have done quite a few TS too, never made my own yarn though. I don't really care to raise sheep...I do like them in chop form though lol.

Wow Sic, I never would have guessed. Sounds like you are pretty self sustainable, well done. I raise cattle for a living, out in the sticks. I have done quite a few TS too, never made my own yarn though. I don't really care to raise sheep...I do like them in chop form though lol.
We are very tentatively looking at getting 1 Dexter cow. Lol

Been looking for an old 8n to fix up, but funds are going to get consumed waiting on our recast - everything is so damn expensive

Last edited:
My RL TS is Tinkering. I used to be an auto and powersports mechanic. Also did a lot of residential construction when I was younger. I can fix anything. I have a shop some small cnc machines, lasers and several 3d printers and all sorts of tools. I also play around with electronics and code like building robots and stuff with rpi or arduino related stuff.

Wife does leathercraft, we have a cool old singer treadle sewing machine and she does the baking. I fish, so do some fly tying with feathers from my own chickens or birds we hunt some times. We have some fancy chickens that have really cool colors. Also do some fletching, am a bow hunter but mostly just glue new fletching's on target arrows with a little jig thing.

Recently started brewing mead and wine this year, also id say it counts as poison making as some of it has been undrinkable... As a result of the brewing and drinking in general I have skilled up a very high alcohol tolerance...

About 10 years ago I was stuck in a wheelchair for several months from a really bad broken leg so I started doing some glass blowing but never really got any good at it not sure if that's closer to smithing or jewelry craft. We have also used the laser with some leather and cnc machine stuff to make some jewelry.

I guess I am also somewhat of a forager, I am in the NW and we have lots of stuff to forage. Blackberries, Mushrooms, Truffles, Firewood, Crabs, Clams, Huckleberry, and do the garden thing have a little cheapo greenhouse. Grew some really cool glass gem corn this year for Halloween decorations along with a billion tomato's.

I would have to say yes also,

I guess you could call it TS in real life.

A hobby is wood working, I like making tables and chairs.

I am normally asked to rebuild engines allot so tinkering. I have a good amount of tools and my own shop back home. Always will be a gearhead.

Fishing, Love to fish. I live 5 minutes away from the Snake River. Hunting depending on the draw I put in for bow or muzzle loader.

I have been making my own wine and beer for about 20 years now. I do make my own spirits every now and then. I do love the taste of peach moonshine.

I love to cook also. Been a world traveler when was in the military and got to experience most cultures food and loved all of it. Kind of stuck with me. I like the taste of different spices.

My daughter makes clothes for a living.

I also work with allot of electric power plants, Frequency Converters.

For you Sic, I will ask my old good friend in Florida if he has any of those cows your looking for. He has his own ranch out there. Around six months ago he was up to 300 head and was raising 4 different kinds. Let me ask what he has.

We are very tentatively looking at getting 1 Dexter cow. Lol

Been looking for an old 8n to fix up, but funds are going to get consumed waiting on our recast - everything is so damn expensive
Well I asked and all he has is the Brangus, Red Angus and the Aberdeen Angus = Black Angus. No Dexter from Ireland. He did have some Florida Cracker, but the bull has not messed with the momma this year so he asked me if I need some meat. Good luck on getting the Dexter.

Yes! Knife making so smithing and woodworking. I also build furniture from time to time when we need something for the house. I was an avid hunter…deer, turkey, elk and alligators when lived in the U.S. Here in Thailand hunting is not allowed at least legally but still able to get out fishing here and there.

I LOVE this thread!

I just got some land and have 50+ birds, 2 pigs to breed and 1 jersey (pregnant with her first). All within the last 6 months.

Tradeskiller IRL
Tinkering - for sure I can basically fix anything like @Motojeff

Research - my wife and I have had to purchase a small library worth of books to figure out how to farm

I'm about to pick up foraging as I have 10 acres of woods with an innumerable amount of plants and trees. We've identified muscadine grapes and sassafras trees but I'm still at a low level.

Put up a pic of my jersey and a view off my back deck (attached).IMG20230921083634.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20230515122434.jpg
    11.1 MB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
I LOVE this thread!

I just got some land and have 50+ birds, 2 pigs to breed and 1 jersey (pregnant with her first). All within the last 6 months.

Tradeskiller IRL

Research - my wife and I have had to purchase a small library worth of books to figure out how to farm

I'm about to pick up foraging as I have 10 acres of woods with an innumerable amount of plants and trees. We've identified muscadine grapes and sassafras trees but I'm still at a low level.

Put up a pic of my jersey and a view off my back deck (attached).View attachment 51560
hell yes Lusec! <3

I do small batch brewing 1-5 gallons at a time (Mead, Beer, Cider)

I like to cook/bake: Primarily use a charcoal smoker or traegar pellet bbq.

I'm pretty useless aside from being able feed someone and get them hammered.

@Lusec i want some real root beer, scuppernongs are the green looking "white" muscadine, look for those too. great for jelly. grab some "tame" blackberry vines or go get some "wild" and plant them around the fence for the cow. less hunting. also some blueberry bushes too

I do jewelry making! I make light up necklaces that I design and engineered the battery casings, lol..so maybe tinkering. I also cook almost everyday, just made a turkey, hmm wonder if my skill went up past 300 for that? My skill in fletching is like level -5, My tailoring skill is horrid so I'm like permanently stuck at skill level 10 or something like Id rather glue Velcro onto something than sew! I don't think I'm good at brewing either, haha. If someone said make me some beer I'd go to the store and pour it in a cup then say I made it. Then admit I lied. I do research all the time, that's why I'm on Redguides right now! Like level 50 skill, ready to get the starter trophy! P.S. I'm still very bad at forums, until Redguides I never really did much on them or felt motivated to contribute <3 it here!

Great post! I for sure do.. I make beard balms, oils, tinctures, lotions, Chapstick, shampoo, toothpaste, hair gel ( not that I have hair anymore!), Mead, beer, fermented foods ( tons!) like hot sauces and kimchi/ sour kraut, Salsa, Kombucha fishing lures, all kinds of stuff!
I craft more irl than ingame cause.... TS is dumb!

I LOVE this thread!

Tradeskiller IRL

Put up a pic of my jersey and a view off my back deck.View attachment 51560
@Lusec i want some real root beer, scuppernongs are the green looking "white" muscadine, look for those too. great for jelly. grab some "tame" blackberry vines or go get some "wild" and plant them around the fence for the cow. less hunting. also some blueberry bushes too

Thanks for the tips. We have some black raspberries along part of our fence line and some good friends we have made have acres and acres of wild blackberries. I need to take some cuttings next year from them. I'll keep my eyes out for the white muscadine. I need to make a better path off the cliff to get to them.

I LOVE this thread!

Tradeskiller IRL

Thanks for the tips. We have some black raspberries along part of our fence line and some good friends we have made have acres and acres of wild blackberries. I need to take some cuttings next year from them. I'll keep my eyes out for the white muscadine. I need to make a better path off the cliff to get to them.
Research is a good one I need to skill up that a tad more.

We are overrun by blackberries its an on going battle to keep them off our property neighbors on 3 sides just let acres of them run wild. The grow way up into the trees sometimes 40 feet and make a wall. most of the patches several acres thick and deep like above my head. I got my drone stuck in a tree out back and had to use a sheet of plywood to climb out on them to get it back. But we do try and make the best of them when they are ready to pick.

Well I have to say that I am only at level 3 in Fletching and its a lot harder than it looks. Trying to find tree limes that are straight enough to make an arrow shaft, getting enough feather pillows to find the right feathers to glue on them, and making the stone arrow heads takes time. I think i will learn to mold so I can make them. So far I found that dogwood make (so far) make the best staves. I think I will hit the swamp near me and see if willow trees are good. I will let you know later how comes out.

Zeb

I LOVE this thread!

Tradeskiller IRL

love love love this post!

what state are you in (if you dont mind)

love love love this post!

what state are you in (if you dont mind)
Arkansas. Plenty of middle of nowhere places out here.

I've lived in a LOT of states growing up and as a younger adult... The longer I stayed somewhere the more I grew to hate it. The exact opposite with Arkansas. I love this place so much and in a few months I get fiber Internet to my farm. Heaven on Earth.

Was really hoping to pick up a super old (but running or running-ish) ford 8N this fall/winter for next year, budget is pretty smol lol

any of ya'll with land/farm have one? yay/nay?

I became pretty obsessed with gardening as a hobby after covid hit. I admit it's a lot harder to maintain now that I am no longer full time remote, but it's a very rewarding hobby. I honestly have the most fun just getting my compost going, and turning it. I practically only garden to put my compost to good use. I'm the guy who picks up bags of leaves that people leave for the trash guys to pick up lol.

I became pretty obsessed with gardening as a hobby after covid hit. I admit it's a lot harder to maintain now that I am no longer full time remote, but it's a very rewarding hobby. I honestly have the most fun just getting my compost going, and turning it. I practically only garden to put my compost to good use. I'm the guy who picks up bags of leaves that people leave for the trash guys to pick up lol.
There is nothing to compare with real veggies and fruits. Tomatoes esp have such a better flavor

Farmer and tinker here.

Grew up on a farm, went in the Navy when i was 17 and became a mechanic. Retired from the Navy and came back to the farm and raised a bunch of Herefords for a while and built a garage to play in .... i love to tinker.

Got tired of all the work involved with cattle so sold them off and now i have chickens and a nursery/greenhouse operation .... and its just as much work as the cows were lol. Chickens are easier though, the equipment and housing is much easier to manage.
I grow and sell all the stuff you would expect to find at a nursery/greenhouse in the country ... starter veggies and flowers in the spring, produce through the summer and fall, and do fall flowers etc etc

I have my garage and it's pretty well equipped and i really only play there .... i have quite a few dirt bikes and 4 wheelers, make custom knives, i have a mill and lathe for making stuff. Ive done everything from dirt track racing, jeep offroading, and mud trucks over the years so i just play with whatever strikes me at the time.

I sold off my bigger tractors and now i just have an International 240 utility model. Its an older tractor but i keep it in nice shape and it does everything i need. I have 312 acres but i really only use about 4 of it lol .... unless you count playing, then i use it all haha. I consider myself fortunate, land, house and vehicle are all paid for so my Navy retirement is plenty to keep everything paid. Everything i do now is just for fun.

@Sic what state? 2k for one in nc. and you might find a jubilee a bit more available plus its a 5 hp upgrade
in MD.

keep seeing some popup in the 1k/2k range.
don't know anything about jubilee - how is parts accessibility compared to the 8n?
dont mind doing some hard work --- just need to pull a finishing mower, till/cultivate, and maybe post hole augur

I do woodworking (fletching), a bit of basic tailoring, basic baking, research (data architect for a living), and jewelry. The jewelry includes a bit of knifemaking (I do handles), not sure if that counts.

- E

IRL - Do you tradeskill in RL?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back