• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Do you guys have a ‘main’ for the most part? (1 Viewer)

xenoeq

RedCents
642¢
I started boxing a full gold group a few weeks ago and have been loving it, when I first came back to EQ a month ago my plan was to ‘main’ one character, I had a necro which I loved levelling solo/molo to 60ish, but then I read about boxing and got hooked - sadly she no longer features

With my 6 box SK/Clr/Rog/Brd/BST/Ber I find I like different aspects of the characters but would struggle to pick an out and our favourite, or realistically the one I’d pick as a ‘favourite’ or ‘main’ would not be viable solo - I tend to drive on my SK but it isn’t my favourite - I’d say possibly the bard or the rogue

I was considering having one character to max stuff on, such as trade skills etc - at the moment I’m kind of contemplating the necro again for long term, but boxing is too much fun - just find it hard to focus on each individual enough to appreciate them

Maybe I’m being too sentimental on what are effectively pixels 😂

My love for a 'main' is fading, I have 6 accounts with characters I play and can make multiple groups. What I am finding is that I like setting up the synergies in teams and then compete between teams who can do what.

I started boxing a full gold group a few weeks ago and have been loving it, when I first came back to EQ a month ago my plan was to ‘main’ one character, I had a necro which I loved levelling solo/molo to 60ish, but then I read about boxing and got hooked - sadly she no longer features

With my 6 box SK/Clr/Rog/Brd/BST/Ber I find I like different aspects of the characters but would struggle to pick an out and our favourite, or realistically the one I’d pick as a ‘favourite’ or ‘main’ would not be viable solo - I tend to drive on my SK but it isn’t my favourite - I’d say possibly the bard or the rogue

I was considering having one character to max stuff on, such as trade skills etc - at the moment I’m kind of contemplating the necro again for long term, but boxing is too much fun - just find it hard to focus on each individual enough to appreciate them

Yeah, my tank is my "main" - I still spend a large amount of my EQ time playing with other people though

I have a main. I do enjoy playing the main even if a patch has been done and no automation or CWTN plugins are available. However, the others I have 0 idea how to play and only use them with plugin toons as support. I certainly can see where the synergy of the team as a whole is looking at the entire pic while focusing on a main is losing a bit there but I gain a bit in understanding the unique (my nice word for strange) way I do things. Duel edge swords so to speak.

I have ADHD and have a weird psychological need to have a 'main' to focus on, some weird kind of completionist attitude but being so far behind on everything makes that hard for EQ :D

Although saying that, when I get to max level (or say 100+) I'm looking forward to revisiting old memories / areas

My main was a wizard that I played on FV from launch.

I feel it's a pretty lazy class in retrospect, in group play at least, I solo'd most of my exp till I started boxing around the OoW expansion although there was plenty of grouping in PoP and LDoN's before that.

In a group they're pretty much a one trick pony, not really suited to pulling or CC for example. They don't even seem like very good DPS these days, I would pick a mage over a wizard these days if I'm putting a team together from the accounts I have.

I kind of have that completionist bug on him in that I want to do the progression and achievements with him. If I am jumping on one char to play however I usually pick my SK now.

I think over the years, the 'meta' of the game has changed a lot. With PoP, druids and wizards lost a key part of their class and their reason for being as the game world got smaller and ports weren't as big a deal. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing as it was what the game needed. Same with the necro, their fd and ability to rez saved so many groups from full wipe and a slow recovery, it was a get out of jail free card, likewise with summoning corpses buried deep in dungeons. That's all been negated with the ability to pop a merc and rez your group, rez tokens, campfires, rez clickies etc. Guild lobby corpse summoning too.

So nowadays, without the need to have this all utility on hand, I think I very much favour melee classes and hybrids, melee centric groups that involve less downtime.

That's as my knowledge of the game has changed as well as the game itself. Will the meta change again? Who knows, I think things have gone a bit cookie cutter in the last 5 or 10 years expansion wise so maybe it's less likely to happen but maybe in another twenty years SK's won't be so OP.

Last edited:
My shaman is my main, because that's who I play on raids in the guild I'm in, but when I'm just playing my 6 most of the time I'm driving on my tank (or manually playing my puller). If I were not in a raiding guild and just doing my own thing I'd probably think of my tank as my main, since he is the most gear dependent and would get first right of refusal on all drops.

To me it makes sense to main my SK. Give them the best drops, keep them subbed, did the trade skill stuff and obtained artisan prize, progression,... A weak tank is a weak group.

My Necro is my main - not really a good class to focus on if you are trying to box, tho. Since I started actually using RG a couple of months back, my SK has taken the lead as my focus toon. I still want to do as much as I can with my Necro and plan to do so, once I've max'd my AAs on the current box set I have and have done some of the progression - mostly so that my SK and Shammy are sufficient in supporting my Necro madness, but I'm seeing ways to focus my SK into Main 2.0.

My main has been and always will be my Pally. I drive him in my 6 box, unless I want to work on a different toon on that account, that's why i made an SK on a diff account because my main account alts were being neglected. My favorite class however is enchanter. I currently have 5 enchanters at least lvl 109. I really should run a 5 enc 1 clr group just to see how it works. I bet it would be quite stunning (pun intended).

I have a main. I do enjoy playing the main even if a patch has been done and no automation or CWTN plugins are available. However, the others I have 0 idea how to play and only use them with plugin toons as support. I certainly can see where the synergy of the team as a whole is looking at the entire pic while focusing on a main is losing a bit there but I gain a bit in understanding the unique (my nice word for strange) way I do things. Duel edge swords so to speak.
Yeah I'm part this.

My main will always be my main, and my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th toons too, only the 2 I added for DPS in modern wtf hp expacs and that I otherwise wouldn't or really couldn't(bc I have no interest in them) play without rg.

I've only NOT raided on my 4th toon, and though I'm told to do this n that with it, I don't really care or listen- it's a bard and bards used to be parked in camp on melody and click some swords now and then lol. It's amazing I hot attack now and turn songs on and off. The rest I've raided, and can play alone though I'd prefer to skip the priest by itself lol.

Having, or keeping, mains is a bigger security threat, so you use less rg help, but they gave more psychological and social longevity.

For those that have had their main before all this, it's more than just who needs and gets the most attention, but who we may have kinda formed in our own likeness lol or as a part of ourselves. To others to made all at once or switched to the tank for practicality, it's just a logistics thing. There's no right or wrong way.

Last edited:
I’ve been doing my epic on SK the last few days, some parts of 1.0 were kind of painful, just finished the murkglider bit of 1.5 and being sat in the same spot for 6+ hours killing one mob every 16ish mins was not fun, luckily the other bits were easy enough to buy or trade for - hoping the rest of 1.5 and 2.0 aren’t that bad, and hopefully doable with 6 well geared level 81-85s

I used to believe in main...over the past year and I've learned from the Pro's here i've begun to think more about teams...Team A, Team B...etc...it's fun to mix and match every once in a blue moon but for the most part I've just built different teams that work well for their intended purpose.

I still have my original accts that are near and dear to my heart...but sadly i'm enjoy the FTP-Non-prestige game a heck of a lot more going back and doing all the old content i missed ... epics is probably my next rabbit hole in 2022

Before I took a 10 year leave of absence from eq my main bounced around in the top 10 on the server for his class. When I came back 6 months ago not so much. I started boxing in order to try to get him caught up but now he's just another dps in my group. All my good gear goes to my tank first. So I'm not sure that I have a main any longer although I still like my old main the best. It's the toon I have the most memories with.

-G

I have my main main but stopped raiding with a traditional guild 2.5 years ago. Spent a lot of time building my army up over the last 5 years. I do enjoy going through content but also enjoy the management and maximizing what I can get out of different grp configurations (sk/shm/bstx4 during ros was one of my favorites and had them outparsing any other configuration I could make and they never had any downtime ever because of the pure amount of mana regen the group could put out on top of their dps). Plus I like pushing myself to the brink, it’s not hard enough if I never die. If 4 mobs at a time is 100% safe I’ll usually push more just to test my limits.

I have to echo Jande on this. I have 30+ toons availble over 6 accounts. I have the opportunity (bc of RG here, thank you!) to try multiple combinations of classes in any group. I enjoy it and I learn more about each class. It's been a fun process and there isn't one specific toon that I soley focus on that I always have to have in group.

However there is one toon that I want to have as a completionist. All my TS efforts and quest completion has gone to one specific toon and if the quest requires more than one person, then the other toons can be whatever I need at the moment. Have I gone through and done progressions on multiple toons? Absolutely. Have I done any TS on other toons? Just the basics on a few. I don't know if I will ever go through the process of doing every TS on each toon (even with RG).

I have a main that raids with a top raid guild and a "second main" that raids with an alliance/open raid group. Those 2 get the lion's share of the attention and upgrades, the other 4 characters on my "A Team" are there to support the two mains. For me, the whole reason that I box is so that I can log in and get things down without being dependent on other people's real life schedules and play times. The overall PUG/LFG part of the game is dead AF. I'll gladly group with friends and guildmates when they're available, but I'm not going to sit in the guild hall for hours waiting for things to come together. I don't want 20+ characters all at various levels of incompleteness spread across a bunch of accounts. One solid group is enough to support the raiding mains and that's my limit.

My main is currently my shammy, buy I'm working up another group and might hop over to a SK after he gets up a bit higher. Never played a tank so I will have to learn but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

I think the biggest "hurdle" to switching main characters is the learning curve of the class. There are so many AAs to learn and how to synergize to push the class.

The great thing about boxing is the rest of your characters can do a pretty good job while you learn another.

Question - Do you guys have a ‘main’ for the most part?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back