• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Do New Toons have to 2 Factor Authentication turned on? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
19,706¢
Ive just made some new toons 15 new accounts and 15 new toons and as per normal..I dont set secret Questions n stuff. Just create the account, login bypassing launchpad, create the character.

But for some reason - I cannot log into any of the new toons. It just gives me a Timeout occured error.
I added 2FA and secret question to one of them...and now it lets me login....but other toons are still giving timeout.

Anyone else having this issue?

You got flagged as a bot it happens if you create too many accounts within a certain period of time. You will have to set the sq and add a phone # to all the accounts now.

Ive just made some new toons 15 new accounts and 15 new toons and as per normal..I dont set secret Questions n stuff. Just create the account, login bypassing launchpad, create the character.

But for some reason - I cannot log into any of the new toons. It just gives me a Timeout occured error.
I added 2FA and secret question to one of them...and now it lets me login....but other toons are still giving timeout.

Anyone else having this issue?

I just created a bunch of characters on Test (on new accounts), and I had to set 2FA and secret question on all of them before I could login after the first time. What's stupid is that setting the 2FA is limited to 5 a day just like creating new accounts.

Hmm, I guess the most I have made at a time is only 3 and I use the patcher to log in so never ran into that 2FA but makes sense if you make too many too fast it would send up flags, and they do seem to be cracking down more so than used to.

If it were me, I would cancel them all and start over and go slower. And use the patcher. A couple players have mentioned the secret question is not working and they do have the right answers.

Hmm, I guess the most I have made at a time is only 3 and I use the patcher to log in so never ran into that 2FA but makes sense if you make too many too fast it would send up flags, and they do seem to be cracking down more so than used to.

If it were me, I would cancel them all and start over and go slower. And use the patcher. A couple players have mentioned the secret question is not working and they do have the right answers.

I'm not sure that you have to start over - I hit the 5 account / 2FA limit on a few occasions and 24 hrs later I was fine. It just limits Account creation and 2FA per IP address per 24 hours. I got on my cell phone and was able to continue the process with no problems (until I hit the 5 limit again).

I created 5 accounts last week back to back and 4 went through with no issue and started getting errors on the 5th. Changed my IP and created the 5th one with no issue. I could load the char's in with autologin but not the patcher until I verified my email address. It didn't prompt me for 2FA though. Guess I got lucky there.

You can set more then 5 2fa in one day but there is a limit just change your IP though. Same with new accounts its ip based use your phones LTE to create 5 accounts, use your computer to create 5 accounts etc. If you have xfinity you can connect to the local xfinity hotspot on your phone or PC with wifi and do another 5.

The limit before you get flagged seems to be 5 within 24 or 48 hrs.

VPN works great to get over the limit or something like hidemyip works too. If you are doing a ton, you can just change your location on the fly to almost anywhere in the world.

You can set more then 5 2fa in one day but there is a limit just change your IP though. Same with new accounts its ip based use your phones LTE to create 5 accounts, use your computer to create 5 accounts etc. If you have xfinity you can connect to the local xfinity hotspot on your phone or PC with wifi and do another 5.

The limit before you get flagged seems to be 5 within 24 or 48 hrs.

Back in the day I know the limit was 2 in 24 hours before account creation just outright failed. Sounds inline with that except instead of completely failing it falls back to requiring 2FA.

I made 5 new accounts and was busy playing at level 5 characters when I was forcefully disconnected on all accounts. When I restarted the EQ launcher I got the 2FA prompt. I attempted to use my google voice number and the DB website stated my number does not meet the criteria....??? It's good enough for the VA and government to contact me on...but not Daybreak...I submitted a ticket on Friday 16JULY2021 but haven't heard anything back. I think this is a way for Daybreak to temp ban people. I've put in several legit phone numbers to only get the "Your phone number does not meet the required criteria." error.
can you say Better Business Bureau complaint!!!
Relax. It's understandable that Google voice numbers wouldn't work for this, since the whole point is to counter bots. Its the weekend, and they will probably get back to you when regular hours start. This is not a BB level thing, and definitely not a Better Business Bureau complaint!

So this has happened recently to me. From what I can tell there is some threshold of accounts tied to an email that sets it off. Speciifically I setup a new 48 box recently. the originally 24 were spread out over muttipl days. The next 24 though came fast and ran into a similar issues but only one some of the accounts (not even all ones tied to same email). definitely some threshold that does it.

I just did the 2FA because I’m not that concerned about it. But it makes sense they wouldn’t allow gvoice when the whole piece is to cut down on the types of botters that impact the game. It is what it is.

I created 4 accounts on Friday with a new email address that I have never used before (only accounts that have been created in the past few months). I then power leveled the accounts from 1 to 60 without MQ2, then grouped them with my 90SK to get them to 75 running Kissassist while at the keyboard. Then manually used my ranger to take them to 85 on Sunday. Got the 2fa email message yesterday and had to add a phone number. I have created a lot of accounts before, but this is the first time I have had this happen. So either I am on their "list" now or there could be a auto script that flagged them for reaching a certain level under a certain amount of time. I created 4 more accounts from a different IP, using the same email and am going to let them sit at level 1 and see if they get flagged as well or if there is something to my theory. I will post back if I get flagged on the newly created accounts.

I created 4 accounts on Friday with a new email address that I have never used before (only accounts that have been created in the past few months). I then power leveled the accounts from 1 to 60 without MQ2, then grouped them with my 90SK to get them to 75 running Kissassist while at the keyboard. Then manually used my ranger to take them to 85 on Sunday. Got the 2fa email message yesterday and had to add a phone number. I have created a lot of accounts before, but this is the first time I have had this happen. So either I am on their "list" now or there could be a auto script that flagged them for reaching a certain level under a certain amount of time. I created 4 more accounts from a different IP, using the same email and am going to let them sit at level 1 and see if they get flagged as well or if there is something to my theory. I will post back if I get flagged on the newly created accounts.
Try not to make them from the same computer, try any other means or another laptop/ipad/etc. They do dump hardware hash now.

Question - Do New Toons have to 2 Factor Authentication turned on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back