• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Confused About Tier 1 Functionality (1 Viewer)

RedCents
156¢
I'm considering a return to EQ (my favorite game ever, by far). In the distant past I had alt-tab 6-boxed, but I figured I'd give botting a try in an attempt to remove some of the tedium.

I understand from this forum post What part of MQ2 can a level 1 member try? that I can't do anything as a tier 1 user except forum post (and compile the code myself, the benefits of which are unclear to me). I find it a bit disappointing that level 1 gives you access to absolutely no software at all. I signed up figuring that I'd be able to install the launcher and have some drastically gimped in-game functionality, or maybe even just a mechanism to launch all 6 copies of EQ for me, but there is literally nothing that I can do now. I'm not at the point where I'm ready to commit to my return to EQ yet. I think that it would make sense for RedGuides to give just a little something to the level 1 folks so that they can get a feel for what the system is about, and eventually get hooked.

My questions are: Is it a viable tier 1 option to compile the code myself? Can someone point me to a guide on how to do that? What can I do (at tier 1) if I do compile the code myself? What important things can I not do at tier 1? There must be some functionality available because I see in the Lua tab of the site that there are Lua scripts that are available to Tier 1 users.

Thanks for any help.

There is no trial, and there is no functionality available at level 1. "compiling yourself" is an option, if you're tech savvy enough to already know what that means. If you're asking in a forum post, you probably don't (no offense, I wouldn't bother compiling myself either). The Lua scripts that are publicly available are available assuming you have some other means of accessing MQ (RG is not the only place to get MQ/MQ2). But if you want the Red Guides Very Vanilla compile of Macroquest, with the easy to use launcher, you have to go level 2.

I'm considering a return to EQ (my favorite game ever, by far). In the distant past I had alt-tab 6-boxed, but I figured I'd give botting a try in an attempt to remove some of the tedium.

I understand from this forum post What part of MQ2 can a level 1 member try? that I can't do anything as a tier 1 user except forum post (and compile the code myself, the benefits of which are unclear to me). I find it a bit disappointing that level 1 gives you access to absolutely no software at all. I signed up figuring that I'd be able to install the launcher and have some drastically gimped in-game functionality, or maybe even just a mechanism to launch all 6 copies of EQ for me, but there is literally nothing that I can do now. I'm not at the point where I'm ready to commit to my return to EQ yet. I think that it would make sense for RedGuides to give just a little something to the level 1 folks so that they can get a feel for what the system is about, and eventually get hooked.

My questions are: Is it a viable tier 1 option to compile the code myself? Can someone point me to a guide on how to do that? What can I do (at tier 1) if I do compile the code myself? What important things can I not do at tier 1? There must be some functionality available because I see in the Lua tab of the site that there are Lua scripts that are available to Tier 1 users.

Thanks for any help.
here is a month for free, rock on. Give RedCents and recieve redcents and that could keep you floating. Try it out and be amazed

Hi @SomeRandomDude , welcome to RG! While I understand your frustration about 'no trial', I can tell you that you will not be disappointed if you enjoy Everquest. I took the plunge a few years back, I jumped in and paid, which I also had hesitancy to do, thinking a similar thought...what is this free compile thing that seems I can do and I can jsut do this for free....enough to feed my EQ needs. Even IF I had known how to compile it, eventually you will learn that the other macros, Lua scripts and plugins that are made ONLY for this version of MQ and this community, is beyond the worth of subbing. It opens up a world of playing EQ without the doldrums of 20 years ago. The community here is massively helpful and loves challenges to figure out stuff. Give it a shot..I think you will be very happy. I'm still here years later and love it.

Edit: thats awesome Robban gave you a month for free to try it..now you can know for yourself. A sub will be worth it when your month is over.

You can get and maintain a Level 2 via Red Cents which are mentioned above a few times. Level 2 will allow you to do more.

How that works is once you are level 2 and you find posts you like then you can click the the red cent icon in lower right - this give the person who made the post some red cents and gives you some too. They do not take away from your total.

Like right now you were gifted a level 2 so you can start giving other helpful posts some Red cents and earn some in return.

Once you earn 50 red cents then you go to the red cents shop and "buy" your level 2 each month using the red cents you earned.

If you post a topic that is cool, or of interest or contributes and others like it then they give YOU red cents and you build up more that way.

Even basic topics like how to work a certain camp or good places to farm or tips you have discovered can be fruitful and earn them.

Literally was going to say, in a nuthshell, it's TOO EASY to get to level 2 and experience ALL that RG has to offer.

Happy Pop Tv GIF by One Day At A Time

I had taken a long break, came back and EQ alone had a lot of changes, the walk throughs are nice, not everything is answered, but it's enough to be dangerous LOL... that said, I definitely found that learning and refining the INI taught me the most; experiment here, ask a question here, apply it there, seemed to teach me the most about it... I really enjoyed the older INI websites that walked me through (though I believe some are out of date or whatnot... they still were a really great place to learn a basic knowledge)

KISSASSIST

Still one of my favorites for learning and quick reference, if there's better, I am unaware... another one I liked for / macro commands was

MQ2MOVEUTILS

Just a couple nuggets that help me sort it out... and then again, asking questions of the community here @ RG has been HUGE!

Good Luck and Welcome Back!

Just my two red:rcents.

[HINT: 🐻 You too can help prevent forum fires by also "red:rcenting" (click the :rc icon to the right ---->)

I'm not at the point where I'm ready to commit to my return to EQ yet. I think that it would make sense for RedGuides to give just a little something to the level 1 folks so that they can get a feel for what the system is about, and eventually get hooked.
No offense, but RedGuides has no commitment to Daybreak games, so why should they give something away for free so that you can play EQ. The guys that build this RedGuides empire are awesome people and are always extremely helpful, but they spend their time and effort making a product that is useful to us and I don't feel that they should have to not get paid for their effort. You the consumer gets to decide if what you get is worth the price or not.

You can always become a part of the community and purchase level 2 access via Redcents essentially using the program for free. The developers at RedGuides I would imagine don't make very much running this thing. There are some plugins that have a fee, but I really don't think the devs are making bank doing this. I could be wrong, but doubtful.

I am sorry for the condescending nature of this post, but it really irks me to the bone when someone thinks they should get something for free because they think so. I feel like the quote above is trying to shame them to giving you something for free. If I don't get this free then I am not coming back to EQ.

One thing you need to understand is that MQ2 IS considered against the EULA and you can get banned for using it. I just don't want you down the road getting pissed at RedGuides for you getting banned from EQ, because I have a feeling that is exactly what would happen.

RedGuides is an awesome community and I want to ensure that it stays awesome.

Welcome to RG.

Folks hit in many of the points, and we are fortunate to have you!

Hope you (stay) a lvl 2 user in the future.

Getting Started / Returning user

Welcome to RedGuides, fellow EQ multi-boxing enthusiast!

The best place to begin is our "New User Guide" video series, click this TV to watch:

This step-by-step series will teach absolute beginners how to control 6 characters at once while highlighting Nav, AutoLogin, and DanNet, which are fundamental plugins that will enhance every aspect of your game.

Returning users check out - MacroQuest Release Party: https://www.redguides.com/community/threads/macroquest-release-party.80628/ for information about changes from the legacy MQ2 to the new and awesome MQ

:rc A Redcent is the currency of our community. You can trade them in for Level 2 access, Krono, and more. Learn about them here:

Have to say, there have been better introductions to the RG community than this one. Almost universally, just coming on, saying Hi! and asking how to get level 2 access is enough to get, well, level 2 access.

Fortunately, this community is so great that even this introduction got you level 2 access for free. So welcome, poke around, and enjoy. Hopefully you will see the tremendous value on offer here and decide to subscribe with $$$, or be involved enough to maintain your L2 with redcents.

Redguides was the first website/software where I encountered this concept of free LVL 1 vs level 2. Being unfamiliar with it was confusing.

The TLDR version is that you need lvl 2 to get in the club. Its easy to do, the community is generous, and on-boards new folks with gifted red cents all the time. A dad joke in your introduction goes a long way. It's a minor speedbump for turds, which has a net positive impact on the community. Beyond level 2, there are premium addons/plugins that cost money, but provide alot of value.

So now that you have enough redcents to buy lvl 2 for one month, you can download the launcher, install and begin to learn the tools. Sic's videos help. I recommend starting with kissassist and the overseer Lua, then work from there.

No offense, but RedGuides has no commitment to Daybreak games, so why should they give something away for free so that you can play EQ. The guys that build this RedGuides empire are awesome people and are always extremely helpful, but they spend their time and effort making a product that is useful to us and I don't feel that they should have to not get paid for their effort. You the consumer gets to decide if what you get is worth the price or not.

You can always become a part of the community and purchase level 2 access via Redcents essentially using the program for free. The developers at RedGuides I would imagine don't make very much running this thing. There are some plugins that have a fee, but I really don't think the devs are making bank doing this. I could be wrong, but doubtful.

I am sorry for the condescending nature of this post, but it really irks me to the bone when someone thinks they should get something for free because they think so. I feel like the quote above is trying to shame them to giving you something for free. If I don't get this free then I am not coming back to EQ.

One thing you need to understand is that MQ2 IS considered against the EULA and you can get banned for using it. I just don't want you down the road getting pissed at RedGuides for you getting banned from EQ, because I have a feeling that is exactly what would happen.

RedGuides is an awesome community and I want to ensure that it stays awesome.
I don't understand all of the hostility. My point was more that calling it "tier 1", and making some Lua scripts available at tier 1, is pretty misleading when you (apparently) need to be tier 2 to have the ability to run any scripts. I was confused/overwhelmed and thought that something was available at tier 1, but was obviously mistaken. Perhaps just naming it "Forum Posting Only Tier" would be more clear. Anyway, thanks for being a shining example of how welcoming the community is. Luckily most other people had much more positive replies.

Thank you so much @Robban for the month of tier 2.

Thanks everyone else for the more positive and welcoming replies. Happy hunting.

I don't understand all of the hostility. My point was more that calling it "tier 1", and making some Lua scripts available at tier 1, is pretty misleading when you (apparently) need to be tier 2 to have the ability to run any scripts. I was confused/overwhelmed and thought that something was available at tier 1, but was obviously mistaken. Perhaps just naming it "Forum Posting Only Tier" would be more clear. Anyway, thanks for being a shining example of how welcoming the community is. Luckily most other people had much more positive replies.

Thank you so much @Robban for the month of tier 2.

Thanks everyone else for the more positive and welcoming replies. Happy hunting.
As others mentioned. Level 1 gives you access to Level 1 macros, Luas, Guides, and the infinite value of the community itself. This is completely free of charge. While you don't currently understand how MQ works well enough to see the benefit of those things, hopefully you will before long.

CWTN

Let me help you understand the hostility. I just read the post to which you linked and it answers your question in that post. You then posted that you expected something free and when you didn't get something free you blame the devs for not making the software free to you. When in actuality it is 100% free if you choose to be an active member of the community and earn RedCents. Maybe I could have voiced my opinion in a less hostile manner, but as I said before it irks me when people expect people to do things in a manner that benefits the one complaining.

There is nothing wrong with asking for something, but you post is 100% trying to shame the devs into making a concession so you can try the program. It is called Tier 1 and Tier 2 heck there is even a Tier 3. I am sorry that you were still confused after it was pointed out that you needed Tier 2 in that post you linked. I can slightly understand the slight confusion about the self compiling the open source software, but as I read the post it was obvious to me that those two guys were talking about semantics and that you needed level 2 access to use the software.

I wish you well and hope that you choose to continue using the program.

As for helpful I just recently sat for several hours helping a new user get his toons up and running so he can now enjoy the software. He asked me in a private message for help and I did it.

A thing happens in any forum/community, where there are frequently the same things that people who are new or don't participate do/say/ask - this can often lead to fatigue answering because folks will put in a ton of time explaining and offering information and examples, and then they get crickets in response - or, sometimes people just delete their post after their question was answered - or sometimes it is just the same thing answered 3 other times the same day.

every now and again, new posts definitely come across as entitled, or hostile - some of this has to do with text/internet, some has to do with how the eq community is as a whole where people think they have to be firm and bristly otherwise they're going to be trolled or stepped over, by and large i just think it is a hiccup in making new friends.

Many of us are late 30s -> 40s -> 50s ---> 70s --->dromel and we don't run into many situations in our day to day where we are "the new kid" or are trying to make new friends. sometimes that is clunky and feels clunky. That's alright, with some grace we'll all make it, i promise.

RG makes pretty great strides to not be that type of EQ community and folks are pretty swift to try and squelch stuff that is outside that environment.

EQ is a complicated game - with plenty of shit that doesn't make sense --- by extension and addition MQ is complicated too - there is a learning curve to both.

A lot of folks come back to the game afeter XYZ years, where eq is fundamentally different AND try and hop right into MQ at the same time. If you give yourself some room to grow, to ask questions, to feel dumb (we all have/still do sometimes) things will fall into place.

RG is a place many folks have called a daily home for years, and i look forward to it continuing to be our home for many more.

Let me help you understand the hostility. I just read the post to which you linked and it answers your question in that post. You then posted that you expected something free and when you didn't get something free you blame the devs for not making the software free to you. When in actuality it is 100% free if you choose to be an active member of the community and earn RedCents. Maybe I could have voiced my opinion in a less hostile manner, but as I said before it irks me when people expect people to do things in a manner that benefits the one complaining.

There is nothing wrong with asking for something, but you post is 100% trying to shame the devs into making a concession so you can try the program. It is called Tier 1 and Tier 2 heck there is even a Tier 3. I am sorry that you were still confused after it was pointed out that you needed Tier 2 in that post you linked. I can slightly understand the slight confusion about the self compiling the open source software, but as I read the post it was obvious to me that those two guys were talking about semantics and that you needed level 2 access to use the software.

I wish you well and hope that you choose to continue using the program.

As for helpful I just recently sat for several hours helping a new user get his toons up and running so he can now enjoy the software. He asked me in a private message for help and I did it.
Admit it…you just wanted to cyber the noobie @Turaj Steelfist

200.gif
bobs burgers sexy dance GIF by HULU

I am trying to download redguides lvl 1 access, just to see if it works on my old arse laptop. However it says i have to upgrade to lvl 2 first? I just wanted to test it first, before spending $10. Am i doing it wrong? if there are instructions I can follow, please link the thread here. Or, if i can collect a few pennies here.... Lol! i hope to get started soon. Thanks guys & gals.

I am trying to download redguides lvl 1 access, just to see if it works on my old arse laptop. However it says i have to upgrade to lvl 2 first? I just wanted to test it first, before spending $10. Am i doing it wrong? if there are instructions I can follow, please link the thread here. Or, if i can collect a few pennies here.... Lol! i hope to get started soon. Thanks guys & gals.
To use the launcher and all the very vanilla stuff, you need level two

I merged your post into a recent thread about lvl 1 / lvl 2 --- you could look into what redcent is and how to use that for lvl 2 (below)

:rc A Redcent is the currency of our community. You can trade them in for Level 2 access, Krono, and more. Learn about them here:

To use the launcher and all the very vanilla stuff, you need level two

I merged your post into a recent thread about lvl 1 / lvl 2 --- you could look into what redcent is and how to use that for lvl 2 (below)

thank you sir.

Does EQ run on your old laptop? if yes.. you should have no issue running MQ..Win 10 or 11 though. Hope you decide to try it out, you'll love EQ as if you are playing a brand new game.

Ohh, I am terribly sorry. I did not want my silly little post to end up in an argument thread =) i was honestly just looking for a few generous souls to donate a few cents so I could try a free month, then buy eskay next week. Yes, i read and watched a bunch of information last week about redguides. I am sorry that i asked a question that has undoubtedly been asked a million times. i was just looking for a kind soul to help a dude out.

I am sorry if i came off as rude in my original post.

Ohh, I am terribly sorry. I did not want my silly little post to end up in an argument thread =) i was honestly just looking for a few generous souls to donate a few cents so I could try a free month, then buy eskay next week. Yes, i read and watched a bunch of information last week about redguides. I am sorry that i asked a question that has undoubtedly been asked a million times. i was just looking for a kind soul to help a dude out.

The consolidation of posts is to help keep things tidy and even to help you, the potential new user with things asked that you could read about, if you did not know, but seems you do know about RedCents. Since you know, the best way to gain them is make good posts, you'll have enough in no time at all. Being honest is good, as you said, but you did not ask for the RedCents. I think you will love it here, but saying you will buy a Eskay sub for a year, after getting a free month..sounds odd. Eskay is great, and I hope you will eventually get it, but just for information, it is not needed right off the bat. Level 2 Sub comes with MANY great tools ready to go.

No hard feelings, was merged just to keep the forums clean and neat, easier for people to search.

I sent you a month of level 2, dive in, read, watch, ask questions. Ton of great people here, very willing and able to help.

Discussion - Confused About Tier 1 Functionality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back