• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - Comeback from decades past (1 Viewer)

scorpion1666

RedCents
140¢
Hi all! Been a super long time since I've really played and remember running zones all over the place to just chat on my bard.
Thinking of the boxing to make a party as it was rough at times to find one to surround my bard to skip the charm kiting of old.
Just don't know a good comp.
Is Vox a good server? Got a friend playing and we jumped on there since it said preferred.

welcome to RG scorp!

there are dozens and dozens of threads about your exact question - don't take folks giving short answers as being unfriendly - more like "i type this out 3 times a week!"

the overwhelming answer is always going to a couple of things "the holy trinity is alive and well; real tank, real healer, real cc, and then dps" followed with a "the most important thing is enjoying your team".

in "modern era" eq, i healer is sufficient for all content, and with the addition of "synergy" AA focuses, people tend to build "melee" or "caster" groups, often around a bard or enchanter with the tank/healer of their choice - shm aren't super great solo healers until their toolkit gets better suited for that in the 100s, but post 100s shm is a very popular solo healer and compliments melee groups really well.

mq makes it real easy to swap toons around and level up a new one if you want a change in group setup. so start with what makes you happy, and when your needs/goals/wants change - switch it up to meet those things

vox is a good server, but the baz is pretty quiet if that is important to you.

WB! I would create heroic characters which are auto level 85, and also start some noobies of the same class. The old school nostalgia of starting over again at level 1 I just couldn't get back, and the content/expansions that you can get into at and after level 85 are better imo.

Welcome back.

Sic offers a solid framework. I like you came back after a nearly two decade layoff. After searching the RG, the popular consensus is:

Tank
Healer
CC
Dps
Dps
aDps

Like Sic mentioned, from here folks would say the choice becomes melee focus or caster focus. If you definitely want to play the Bard as your CC class, then most would say to consider being melee focus with the DPS slots.

Popular tank choices include SK and Pally. Popular healing choices include cleric and shaman, although most would tell you that shaman could be a bit trickier as a solo healer at lower levels. Outside of establishing a solid core of tank, healer, and CC, the combinations are many. Above all else, have fun. There is no right or wrong team.

For reference, and by no means are these perfect teams, here are my two teams:

Caster: SK, Enc, Clr, Mag, Mag, Bst

Melee: Pally, Brd, Shm, Zerker, Zerker, Rog

The way I setup the accounts is such that the pally and SK are on the same account so I can go with either as a tank. The same can be said about the shammy and cleric. The beast lord and rogue are also swappable in my setup.

Sorry about the long post. Just throwing out some ideas.

Be well. Happy gaming.

welcome to RG scorp!

there are dozens and dozens of threads about your exact question - don't take folks giving short answers as being unfriendly - more like "i type this out 3 times a week!"

the overwhelming answer is always going to a couple of things "the holy trinity is alive and well; real tank, real healer, real cc, and then dps" followed with a "the most important thing is enjoying your team".

in "modern era" eq, i healer is sufficient for all content, and with the addition of "synergy" AA focuses, people tend to build "melee" or "caster" groups, often around a bard or enchanter with the tank/healer of their choice - shm aren't super great solo healers until their toolkit gets better suited for that in the 100s, but post 100s shm is a very popular solo healer and compliments melee groups really well.

mq makes it real easy to swap toons around and level up a new one if you want a change in group setup. so start with what makes you happy, and when your needs/goals/wants change - switch it up to meet those things

vox is a good server, but the baz is pretty quiet if that is important to you.
Good to know. I played for like a year and I think I got to lvl 32. Just never had a solid group back then.
Having fun trying to get my old account haha.

Welcome back.

Sic offers a solid framework. I like you came back after a nearly two decade layoff. After searching the RG, the popular consensus is:

Tank
Healer
CC
Dps
Dps
aDps

Like Sic mentioned, from here folks would say the choice becomes melee focus or caster focus. If you definitely want to play the Bard as your CC class, then most would say to consider being melee focus with the DPS slots.

Popular tank choices include SK and Pally. Popular healing choices include cleric and shaman, although most would tell you that shaman could be a bit trickier as a solo healer at lower levels. Outside of establishing a solid core of tank, healer, and CC, the combinations are many. Above all else, have fun. There is no right or wrong team.

For reference, and by no means are these perfect teams, here are my two teams:

Caster: SK, Enc, Clr, Mag, Mag, Bst

Melee: Pally, Brd, Shm, Zerker, Zerker, Rog

The way I setup the accounts is such that the pally and SK are on the same account so I can go with either as a tank. The same can be said about the shammy and cleric. The beast lord and rogue are also swappable in my setup.

Sorry about the long post. Just throwing out some ideas.

Be well. Happy gaming.
That's kind of the group I was thinking but maybe throwing in a monk for some flavor. Still watching and reading up on all the MQ misc stuff out there.

WB! I would create heroic characters which are auto level 85, and also start some noobies of the same class. The old school nostalgia of starting over again at level 1 I just couldn't get back, and the content/expansions that you can get into at and after level 85 are better imo.
Kind of feeling like starting low as I never got past early/mid 30's and exploring was fun somewhat. I miss that in a game.
My favorite was Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. Super crazy on the explore as you could find a dungeon nobody knew about way out in the middle of no where and explore and get loot people didn't know about. Quests that were hard to find with rare mounts items as well. I think it was like 10 times the world size of EQ.

For now, I would test the waters on server and class. Wait on the Heroic unless you have free ones or $35 to spend on them. They are going to raise them to level 100 in a few months (2?)

WB! Here's some red cents to help you along

For now, I would test the waters on server and class. Wait on the Heroic unless you have free ones or $35 to spend on them. They are going to raise them to level 100 in a few months (2?)

WB! Here's some red cents to help you along
Good to know on the $$. Trying to keep the spending low.

Also thank you.

Welcome back.

Cpl more things.
Do the tutorial if u haven't, it will really help you relearn the basics and some new features very quickly.
Advloot window is /Advl This is a serious pain in the ass to learn and might take a bit. but it is really worth it. I generally just top box to Loot All, bottom box to Always need. then flip to Loot Settings on bottom left and turn everything on except Confirm Remove Item Filter. this should help u loot a bit easier... the Edit Filters box has your search in it. U can look for and set things directly as u want here.
Overseer... this is a catch-up mechanic.. its /overseer. It is Usable on each account, its account-wide. Its good for free bonus experience and has some other features in it like collections which can save u a bundle down the road as well. It will Take some time to learn but its a nice feature.
Maps... these are good. the in-game one isn't bad anymore. It has some cool features like "Zone Guide" on top right. U can use this to find any zone you want. and bottom left has "Find". this is really nice. Just a heads up... the RG one is 1000x better. Once you learn how to use this and the Find etc u are gonna be laughing. ( nothing like grabbing a drink, chatting with your friends online and watching your toons run to where they need to be.

RG is awesome it really enhances game-play. All those tiny details that were time consuming become much more enjoyable and manageable.
The Site rocks and the people here are really amazing, like everyone else has said.

Remember 2 things. play nice is always the way and Play to enjoy yourself. Whatever Group design you make, don't be afraid to change it if it isn't working or isn't as enjoyable as you want. There are all kinds of fun little things and sometimes a little change can make it so much more fun.

I know heroic toons are great, they expedite your play at the start. Personally I'd hold off, relearn what you want to play and get a group that plays the style you are able to really sink your teeth into and enjoy, then maybe take a look at heroic toonage as an enhancement and change of scene. It will take a while to really get into the RG mechanics and that's so much easier at lower levels. Just my own preference. that and it will lower your cost while u figure things out. Also Subbing allows you to wear prestige gear and augs and gives you the opportunity to use the Auto Grant AA ability ( Top right corner, little box of AA Panel " V " for that ). While you are lower level and relearning, this is another cost saver to start... you really only need your tank to have that opened up. At higher level this will change, but there's time before that where its really just a cash burn. Tank aas = better tanking. If u can tank it, u can kill it. might be slower but let's be honest, you came back to everquest... you already understand fully this is a grind lol. Why rush. just enjoy it for what you remember it as and for the new things they've added.

I normally type like 30 seconds... guess i'm feeling chatty today.

Do not be afraid to use this site as a resource, honestly. it's the best site going. best people best info and it has it's own Sic:banjo:

All the very best and again, WB. have a great time

Welcome back.

Cpl more things.
Do the tutorial if u haven't, it will really help you relearn the basics and some new features very quickly.
Advloot window is /Advl This is a serious pain in the ass to learn and might take a bit. but it is really worth it. I generally just top box to Loot All, bottom box to Always need. then flip to Loot Settings on bottom left and turn everything on except Confirm Remove Item Filter. this should help u loot a bit easier... the Edit Filters box has your search in it. U can look for and set things directly as u want here.
Overseer... this is a catch-up mechanic.. its /overseer. It is Usable on each account, its account-wide. Its good for free bonus experience and has some other features in it like collections which can save u a bundle down the road as well. It will Take some time to learn but its a nice feature.
Maps... these are good. the in-game one isn't bad anymore. It has some cool features like "Zone Guide" on top right. U can use this to find any zone you want. and bottom left has "Find". this is really nice. Just a heads up... the RG one is 1000x better. Once you learn how to use this and the Find etc u are gonna be laughing. ( nothing like grabbing a drink, chatting with your friends online and watching your toons run to where they need to be.

RG is awesome it really enhances game-play. All those tiny details that were time consuming become much more enjoyable and manageable.
The Site rocks and the people here are really amazing, like everyone else has said.

Remember 2 things. play nice is always the way and Play to enjoy yourself. Whatever Group design you make, don't be afraid to change it if it isn't working or isn't as enjoyable as you want. There are all kinds of fun little things and sometimes a little change can make it so much more fun.

I know heroic toons are great, they expedite your play at the start. Personally I'd hold off, relearn what you want to play and get a group that plays the style you are able to really sink your teeth into and enjoy, then maybe take a look at heroic toonage as an enhancement and change of scene. It will take a while to really get into the RG mechanics and that's so much easier at lower levels. Just my own preference. that and it will lower your cost while u figure things out. Also Subbing allows you to wear prestige gear and augs and gives you the opportunity to use the Auto Grant AA ability ( Top right corner, little box of AA Panel " V " for that ). While you are lower level and relearning, this is another cost saver to start... you really only need your tank to have that opened up. At higher level this will change, but there's time before that where its really just a cash burn. Tank aas = better tanking. If u can tank it, u can kill it. might be slower but let's be honest, you came back to everquest... you already understand fully this is a grind lol. Why rush. just enjoy it for what you remember it as and for the new things they've added.

I normally type like 30 seconds... guess i'm feeling chatty today.

Do not be afraid to use this site as a resource, honestly. it's the best site going. best people best info and it has it's own Sic:banjo:

All the very best and again, WB. have a great time
Yeah that loot thing is a pain. Already did the tutorial zone. Now I'm looking at expanding. :)
Also might jump to another server for the pop.
Still a lot of the old feel. :)

Hi all! Been a super long time since I've really played and remember running zones all over the place to just chat on my bard.
Thinking of the boxing to make a party as it was rough at times to find one to surround my bard to skip the charm kiting of old.
Is Vox a good server? Got a friend playing and we jumped on there since it said preferred.
Welcome back! I did the very same thing as you around a year ago and when I found this site, it opened up a whole new game for me. Took some time to learn and definitely could not have done it without the help of this community, so enjoy and have fun!!!!

Welcome back

Welcome back!
Napoleon Dynamite Hello GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

IRL - Comeback from decades past

Users who are viewing this thread

Back