• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Best three box group with mercs? (1 Viewer)

Kingkiller71

RedCents
1,255¢
I'm currently running 3 accounts with the following chars on each (the bold are the ones that I play the most often as a group, although tempted to go 2 Mages when the second one hits 120);

1 - 120 Druid
1 - 117 War
1 - 105 Shm

2 - 120 Rog
2 - 118 Mag
2 - 105 Nec

3 - 120 Mag
3 - 112 Bst
3 - 105 SK

I'm looking at going down the Red Guides route as my current boxing situation means I'm not seeing much further than the odd TOV merc run.

What would you consider the best combination to be based on my 3 accounts?

I'm currently running 3 accounts with the following chars on each (the bold are the ones that I play the most often as a group, although tempted to go 2 Mages when the second one hits 120);

1 - 120 Druid
1 - 117 War
1 - 105 Shm

2 - 120 Rog
2 - 118 Mag
2 - 105 Nec

3 - 120 Mag
3 - 112 Bst
3 - 105 SK

I'm looking at going down the Red Guides route as my current boxing situation means I'm not seeing much further than the odd TOV merc run.

What would you consider the best combination to be based on my 3 accounts?
For my RedCents, always use the classes you enjoy the most and keep you engaged. But as many have said multiple times, the best combo will always keep in mind

Tank -->> Heals --> CC -->> DPS

SK/War --> Shm --> Rog/Mag

But you should keep in mind going right to 6 since we all end up there anyway 😜

inb4 someone says just run 3 ftps instead of mercs

But to answer your question, DRU/MAG/MAG/WIZMERC/WIZMERC/CLRMERC is probably what your current toons lean toward... but wizard mercs suck afaik and only the rogues and healers are worth running. So I would probably do SHM/ROG/SK/ROGMERC/ROGMERC/ROGMERC but keep one clr merc on standby for buffs.

But really.. expand out to 6 and watch your world expand so much

Thanks for the quick responses. Am I reading it right that I could use FTP accounts for the other 3 classes, if I was to go down the 6 char route?
shd, shm, brd, dont need mercs then
Thanks for the response, I do have a 105 Enc, and 2 bards (but they're both around lvl 60). It worthwhile levelling a bard rather than the enchanter?

inb4 someone says just run 3 ftps instead of mercs

But to answer your question, DRU/MAG/MAG/WIZMERC/WIZMERC/CLRMERC is probably what your current toons lean toward... but wizard mercs suck afaik and only the rogues and healers are worth running. So I would probably do SHM/ROG/SK/ROGMERC/ROGMERC/ROGMERC but keep one clr merc on standby for buffs.

But really.. expand out to 6 and watch your world expand so much
lol, I was literally responding to the post above with the question - would I just use FTP for the other 3?

SHM/ROG/SK/ROGMERC/ROGMERC/ROGMERC - Can a Shaman manage the healing for all of that group? (never really played a healer other than my druid back in Kunark)

Thanks for the quick responses. Am I reading it right that I could use FTP accounts for the other 3 classes, if I was to go down the 6 char route?

Thanks for the response, I do have a 105 Enc, and 2 bards (but they're both around lvl 60). It worthwhile levelling a bard rather than the enchanter?
Yup, can use F2P and they will always be better than mercs.

EDIT - May as well level both enc and brd. Enc does better at cc and adps for casters while brd does better adps for melee and has easier dbl invis and run speed. I swap out depending on content and group make up.

For my RedCents, always use the classes you enjoy the most and keep you engaged. But as many have said multiple times, the best combo will always keep in mind

Looks like Ive got some work to do then, I've gone from tank merc on druid, to using pet tank on mage. Maybe I should go SK/WAR tank then? They both feel so squishy at the moment

Can a Shaman manage the healing for all of that group?

Yep, SHM are pretty beast mode healers and melee adps around 105.

If you go the f2p route, I'd probably switch to DRU/MAG/MAG/ENC/BRD/dealer's choice. Caster groups are much easier to be good than melee.

Looks like Ive got some work to do then, I've gone from tank merc on druid, to using pet tank on mage. Maybe I should go SK/WAR tank then? They both feel so squishy at the moment
Shm may have an easier time keeping the SK up since the SK can tap, but usually shm does fine healing post 100 ish.

I would def level up 3 more though and just go 6. Can always drop one or more to add in a friend for those grouping moments.

Thanks for the advice guys, guess I've got a bit of thinking to do. Looking forward to trying the software though. Hopefully it will breathe a bit more life into the game for me.

It certainly will and if you haven't done so already , watch the vids in Sic's signature (I'm sure he will post soon if he has not done so already while I'm typing this).

Once you have an idea of how things work, you'll want to look into some automation options. Check out Kissassist Beginners Guide, Kissassist Commands , RGmercs, and especially cwtn plugins ( you can also /testcopy your toons and use the cwtn plugins there for free and you'll want to spend some time looking at CWTN Plugins Explained.).

I suggest getting your feet wet slowly and be patient as it takes time to absorb all this information. Try taking your toons somewhere safe and lower level at first and explore the automation options. It takes some time to get used to, so don't be surprised it if feels overwhelming at first.

Once you feel like your're getting the hang of it (or to get a more in depth idea of what this site can do), then check out the plugins, macros, and lua's available to complement your automation. Things like MQ2pluginmanager, buttonmaster, mq2autogroup, MQ2Autoaccept, MQ2Status, GuildClicky, Boxhud, and more. You'll also want to see Lua event manager.

How do you get to see and experience all of this you ask? You need to be a level 2 member. To do that you have 2 options. First, you can subscribe (paid method) or second, you can use Red Cents. What the heck is a Red Cent you ask? Red Cents can you help with your subscription and it's the currency this site uses. Contribute helpful information (post here) and others will give you red cents and each red cent you give others returns one to you. check it out! Red Cents

Time to subscribe to level 2 and begin a journey you won't regret. Lots of info and a super helpful community here to help when you get stuck.

Last edited:

Yup, all it takes is sufficient monthly income to support 6. I so wish I did.

double exp is coming up your sk will be able to pl those ftp toons easy peasy up to 70s then he can just group them and slaughter for faster exp till they are 90

the reason i say bard, is not the CC, thats a 2nd function, and not super needed, but simply the adps burst and buffage their songs give the sk and shaman, a level 105+ shaman can easily heal a sk tanking 3 or 4 mobs if the sk is current level geeared, the shaman buffs along with the bard songs are gonna make your sk a super powered killing machine.

Thanks for all of your advice. I decided to go with the following 3 x FTP classes; Cleric, Shaman and Bard.

Having these with my other accounts give me the following combinations;

War, Shm, Mag, Mag, Clr, Brd
Sk, Shm, Mag, Bst, Clr, Brd

Discussion - Best three box group with mercs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back