• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Best Pure DPS Box (1 Viewer)

orangenred

RedCents
113¢
Hey all,

Wanting to add another pure DPS to my box crew, already have one wiz, thinking about adding another but would something else be better? I really only have access to group gear so not sure if a melee could compete?

Appreciate any input, thanks.

I run war clr shm zerk wiz brd.. the support from sham and bard help the zerk do massive dps and the bard helps the wiz do massive dps.. so honestly just depends on the rest of what you are running.. but having another wizard to run alliance with never hurts

What's your group setup now? Are you close to having 3 wiz to open Alliance usage?

Some synergy stuff like casters tend to have AA that boost group casters, melee tend to boost other melee. Bards are better ADPS for melee, ench are better ADPS for casters. For healer role, Sham is best boost to melee, Druid best boost to casters, Cleric is generally neutral though a great healer for melee group since those tend to eat more group damage.

What's your group setup now? Are you close to having 3 wiz to open Alliance usage?

Some synergy stuff like casters tend to have AA that boost group casters, melee tend to boost other melee. Bards are better ADPS for melee, ench are better ADPS for casters. For healer role, Sham is best boost to melee, Druid best boost to casters, Cleric is generally neutral though a great healer for melee group since those tend to eat more group damage.

Right now its SK, SHAM, CLER, BARD, WIZ and a random merc depending on situation.

Melee DPS. Bard melee song buffs are much better than their caster buffs. Plus Shaman's buffs + Lions is nice melee boost, but doesn't help casters.

Zerker is a good choice. They're one of the simpler melee classes to set up and there are a lot of good ini's. I'd recommend KA11 for melee, over Vanilla 10.2.6. KA11 optimized for melee and use of all combat abilities. 10.2.6 had some issues firing certain melee discs/abilities. IHC's zerker macro is also great.

Rogue or ranger would also be good choices, just a more limited selection of pre-made ini's for them. Beast's are great, but since you have Shaman already, not ideal from Buff overlap.

If you're wanting to add caster, I'd go with Mage. The pet will get melee buffs from Sham/Bard and the Wiz/Ench can share synergy buffs for Fire nukes. Mage pet also makes a nice off-tank if your SK drops and you need time to battle rez.

Nec's are great raid dps and still the best solo class. In groups though, EoK/RoS 6-man content fights tend to be 12-24 second fights, so you barely get 2-3 tics of DoT dmg in before you're on to next mob. So a Wizard will way out-dps a Necro in the same group/camp for hours on end. They do bring an extra rezzer to group, but thats not as important as it used to be.

If you have a certain camp with high HP mobs, like giants in EoK or golems in HS, then Necro can do a bit more. Same if you have a low DPS setup like only 3 toon group or such. Just not an ideal group DPS member for most KA groups.

Last edited:
Echoing those who posted above,

1) I love Necros, but they just aren't the best fit for the fast killing pace of the modern group game;
2) Mages put out surprisingly good (really good) steady DPS and add huge utility to a boxed group with COTH, back up tank, etc.
3) Wizards are great steady 100K plus dps, especially if you've focused on caster DPS (enchanter for example and maybe going with three wizards in group);
4) Nothing, hands down beats Zerker DPS these days. Except for encounters that punish melee DPS, they out perform Wizards by a significant margin (especially if group is put together to up ADPS --- bard and/or shaman.

What I've tended to do these days is run my wizards out of group for extra DPS. They are beautiful in FTP mode with Conflagrant gear and I can pop them in group for ports, etc. Good luck! Have fun.

I like rangers as well. Maybe it's just the ini, but my ranger does close enough DPS to my berserkers for me to keep my ranger all-access in my down-sizing of my EQ expense. I know you are looking purely for DPS and rangers do bring that. And more.

I think KISS will eventually support off-tank/ back up tank? Think rangers make better tanks than any class in that DPS range and they can actually taunt, grab and hold agro. And they can heal. Have survived through fights with just ranger heals.

I’m also a big ranger fan. I run ranger, zerker, wiz for dps toons with my SK, cleric and enchanter.

I know it’s a late reply but I wanted to let you know that 2 wizards can proc alliance. The caveat is that they need to be running twincast. Right now without raid items I have 3 twincast options. Claw, twincast spell and twincast AA. Claw procs quite a bit and with two wizards and killing mobs every 15-25 seconds every 4th to 5th mob is getting an alliance proc because the twincast just happens so often on wizards. I also need to add that enchanter twincast aura plus your natural AA twincast proc also can trigger alliance. It’s a great dos hit. 2.4 million is normally alliance proc, and if the other wizard gets an arcane proc of 1.3 million a mob in Gorowyn just goes down hard. That’s 30-40% of their HP. I have the ini’s for keeping alliance up I’ll post them soon under the resources. Running magic spells because I do so much in TBL right now so not optimum fire DPS but easily enough tweaked!!!

Question - Best Pure DPS Box

Users who are viewing this thread

Back