• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Beastlord weapons? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
1,616¢
Hello Redguides!

I've been learning more about the Beastlord and not sure which way to go with gearing in terms of weapons.

Accepting the answer may be situational, but as a general rule of thumb which is better?
  • Dual wielding, with a pair of 1H ?
  • Waving a big 2H clubber around ?

Also accept if there is a significant gulf between which expansion a weapon comes from compare to another, then some common sense says the newer expansion with a jump in ratio is likely to win. When I've played with same era gear ( from TBM ), the numbers are coming up close.

This could be I'm doing things wrong and need to have bandoliers for hotswap between two spec - e.g. fight trash / fight named, or some synergy has popped into song window perhaps.

I do understand that it's not all about trying to make the Beastlord top the DPS chart, as they are there to dps and provide extra to other classes in the group. But it does feel like should make some effort to get the class geared as best can do in the right way.

Regards and Best Wishes.

I've generally found that given you are using weapons of the same tier from the same xpac and they're the bst/mnk only weapons, dual wielding tends to be a bit more dps without burns going and when I burn I bando to a 2her. It's not game-changing but it is a noticeable difference. I believe DW pulls ahead on non-burn because of the Gelid Claw procs which 2h does not benefit from. I'm sure more experienced Beasts can weigh in though :)

Either use the best mnk/bst 2 hander you can, or use the best 1h/h2h mnk/bst AND best mnk/bst 2h during ecliptic/vindication. Can check out the mq2bst vid where I explain it for the plugin

So this has scale shifted some along the way. Them adding more Gelid claw ranks over tol (brought it closer to even) and nos (pushed it passed) plus the mnk/bst only 1hndr ratio boost in nos has put it so during a burn with nos weaps of equivalent tier and the aas done you’re better off dual wielding. In TOL swap for vindication burn was still optimal and eok-cov era going full time 2hnd wasn’t a bad plan :)

dual wielding tends to be a bit more dps without burns going and when I burn I bando to a 2her. It's not game-changing but it is a noticeable difference.
You know, I find that funny.

To me, if it's "a noticeable difference" then that qualifies as "game-changing" in my book. :)

A tough fight with some mobs, you can need all the help you can get. A noticeable difference in output, could make the split between win or wipe. For that, I define it game changing.

Thanks for your input.

Either use the best mnk/bst 2 hander you can, or use the best 1h/h2h mnk/bst AND best mnk/bst 2h during ecliptic/vindication. Can check out the mq2bst vid where I explain it for the plugin
As always Mr Sic, the man with helpful guidance.
And I see over in the plugin FAQ some info, perhaps more lurks in text and videos.

Q. What is BandoSwap?
A. BandoSwap will check your bandolier sets for a 1hb or h2h set (or combo of those), and check if you have a 2h set (it goes top to bottom in the list, no need to name it specifically).
When you are outside of "Vindication" / "DFury" you will keep using your 1h/h2h set, but during Vindication and DFury you will swap to 2h set for that sweet extra damage.

Checking here on raidloot i see the table of information about vindication. A disc for 102, 110, 115 and 120.
Similar here on raidloot there is a table about Fury. at 101, 106, 111 and 116.

There are no prizes for guessing what does not appear in my KA ini file, or spell gems. :xd:

I had intended to go see what for sale in the bazaar and didn't wish to spend the plat in wrong direction. I'll see what Luclin come Velious items are available.

So this has scale shifted some along the way. Them adding more Gelid claw ranks over tol (brought it closer to even) and nos (pushed it passed) plus the mnk/bst only 1hndr ratio boost in nos has put it so during a burn with nos weaps of equivalent tier and the aas done you’re better off dual wielding. In TOL swap for vindication burn was still optimal and eok-cov era going full time 2hnd wasn’t a bad plan :)

If I am reading your guidance correctly;

The decision for when or if to use a 2H, is driven by how far up the Gelid Rending AA tree the BST has climbed, raidloot details here.
  • lvl 105, Rending 6, gives claw rank 4.
  • lvl 110, can go to Rending 10, which gives claw rank 7.
  • lvl 115, it's to Rending 14, which achieves claw rank 12.
  • lvl 120, it's to Rending 17, and claw rank 15. ( noted, RL stops at ToL doesn't have NoS info, in game goes to Rending 20 ).
From rending 4+, it appears to be a consistent 8% chance of the 'claw' spell effect happening.

And what does raidloot have to say about claw?
  • rank 4, decrease 1200 HP and ATK 200
  • rank 7, decrease 3500 HP and ATK 200
  • rank 12, decrease 9000 HP and ATK 250
  • rank 15, decrease 12000 HP and ATK 250
  • rank 18, decrease 15000 HP and ATK 250 ( for which they DO have the NoS ranks! )

Something else I've noticed about the information - it says "grants your Hand to Hand and 1-Hand Blunt melee and skill attacks".
That means, no benefit from the AA if using 1-hand piercing, even though the class can.

From the data you've seen;
  • if have NoS H2H or 1HB available for both hands, plus high teens of Gelid Rending, stick to dual wield.
  • otherwise, it's bandolier time to 2H if gear is below luclin or the Gelid Rending ranks are mid to low ranged; for as others said the burns of vindication on named etc.

I'm not in a position for NoS and lots of AA ranks, so will be going with the latter guidance.

Thanks all for giving a nudge in the right direction! This is why our community rocks, we have diverse experience of many classes.

Regards and Best Wishes

if you are really interested, it is never a bad idea to parse it out. every year people send me essays of their 2 cents (which are usually their circumstances - in their gear, in their groups, on their server) and i go and personally test them with a few different setups of varying gear/aa's - the type of setup that broadly and safely applies, as best as i can emulate, (where it isn't going to hurt you, but almost certainly help you unless you know otherwise --- and if you know otherwise already, you wouldn't be asking).

thinks do change, certain classes certainly scale differently than other classes - especially when dbg strays from the norm, or gives an update to a 10+ year old spell line (would love a new fclaws, dbg, thx)

or just use Club*

My zerk and beast are 113 and both run with a chunky 2hb. I am not a min/max person so as long as they are doing more damage than before = win.

Discussion - Beastlord weapons?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back