• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Back in the saddle (1 Viewer)

Th3rapy

RedCents
129¢
Good Morning!,

I found this site looking up info when I started playing again recently. ( I have no idea why I picked eq up again other than my dissatisfaction with my other games.)
I logged in and realized it was my enchanter's 21's birthday. I took it as a sign to stay ( I'm a Gemini so I go with my FEELINGS!) ha! Anyway, This site has proven to be most useful to get me back up and running. I have boxed manually, alt+tab for a long time and used isboxer.
I also used isxeq I think it was called. I've played a max of 12 in the past. I don't want to expose my primary accounts however, of which I have about 8. I plan to make new ones and use this wonderful resource to get my main characters outfitted properly and
enjoy the game the way I really do. Playing with my own chars and not in a group. ( I have issues being social, I work on it but.. hey. After all this time? It is what it is.) I help ppl, and will go out of my way if someone needs something but I like my little bubble of privacy and space.

I have one main question however, (my ex played my account and his account many years ago in eq2 and sadly they had JUST done an update and he ran the software and logged in and he was insta banned., I was gold so I was only given a warning on that one account.
( I have never had an issue personally because I am careful and don't ruin other people's experience. But it could still happen one day. SO.. if I play on new accounts and something were to ever happen, that wouldn't in anyway effect my normal accounts, would it?
( I am just considering my IP etc) I do have a lifetime sub to a vpn- covid sale back when all that went down. I can use that and probably will. If anyone here with experience in this area wants to offer any advice, I would be very appreciative.

Also, I may play on an entirely different server than my old stomping grounds. I really never gave it much thought before but it seems there is a slightly less favorable view on boxing with the dark paw scene. Can anyone suggest the best servers that are more "boxer friendly"?
That may not even be a thing, but I figured I could ask the pros here for advice.

Thanks in advance and glad to be here!

howdy th3rapy,

Welcome to redguides!

ymmv with servers - some folks really like quiet servers like vox, where some really like the ultra busy servers like FV or Bristle - some like the freedom that comes with the Test server

MQ is only supported for non-truebox servers (so regular live servers and test) - weigh up some pros-cons for busy/quiet for how you want to approach the game.

howdy th3rapy,

Welcome to redguides!

ymmv with servers - some folks really like quiet servers like vox, where some really like the ultra busy servers like FV or Bristle - some like the freedom that comes with the Test server

MQ is only supported for non-truebox servers (so regular live servers and test) - weigh up some pros-cons for busy/quiet for how you want to approach the game.
Thanks! I prefer pretty quiet servers, I have played on test in the past and enjoyed it, so that may be a thought. I didn't even consider that one.

Thanks! I prefer pretty quiet servers, I have played on test in the past and enjoyed it, so that may be a thought. I didn't even consider that one.
it patches at least twice as frequently as live servers - which means slightly more downtime for MQ, and there are often eq bugs on it - but free all access

( I am just considering my IP etc) I do have a lifetime sub to a vpn
I haven't read nor heard of going after someone's IP. One could be playing while traveling or at a friend's etc....As far as using the VPN your hardware is still visible. I did have issues running DanNet though while connected to my VPN. I do use one but not for EQ purposes. I will need to look into that a bit more. Welcome and good luck to you!

it patches at least twice as frequently as live servers - which means slightly more downtime for MQ, and there are often eq bugs on it - but free all access
I'm all access on 2 accounts now and I already have the new expac on my 2 main accts, so that's ok. I don't like the down time part. It's been awhile since I played, I have forgotten much. Thanks!

I haven't read nor heard of going after someone's IP. One could be playing while traveling or at a friend's etc....As far as using the VPN your hardware is still visible. I did have issues running DanNet though while connected to my VPN. I do use one but not for EQ purposes. I will need to look into that a bit more. Welcome and good luck to you!
I only thought of the ip thing because I know they do track it. LONG time ago I had somone that harassed me, an ex and they threatened to ban his IP because he made so many alts to
bug me and my sister and friends. Not even sure it's a thing anymore. Just don't want to risk the chars I've had for so many years. Thought I'd ask. :)

So there are no guarantees when it comes to IP and associated accounts. There is always a risk, some weird suspension patterns cropped up after the xpac release. Attended, polite play serves most people well.

Restarting can be overwhelming. For me, it's best to start small if you've been away for a while, just do an account or two, use mercs and get a feel for the timing of play and hotbuttons, recovering from losses, etc then slowly add another account.

I know from experience it can be rough trying to set up a 6 or 6+ crew if you've been away, I find I get bogged down with the little details and it can dull that desire to get back into it.

Welcome to the club!
The Matrix World GIF by HBO Max

The Matrix GIF by Splash Designworks (aka splashdw.com)

Happy Pop Tv GIF by One Day At A Time

I had taken a long break, came back and EQ alone had a lot of changes, the walk throughs are nice, not everything is answered, but it's enough to be dangerous LOL... that said, I definitely found that learning and refining the INI taught me the most; experiment here, ask a question here, apply it there, seemed to teach me the most about it... I really enjoyed the older INI websites that walked me through (though I believe some are out of date or whatnot... they still were a really great place to learn a basic knowledge)

KISSASSIST

Still one of my favorites for learning and quick reference, if there's better, I am unaware... another one I liked for / macro commands was

MQ2MOVEUTILS

Just a couple nuggets that help me sort it out... and then again, asking questions of the community here @ RG has been HUGE!

Good Luck and Welcome Back!

Just my two [red] cents!

Discussion - Back in the saddle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back