• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Funny - Anyone Else overspend on PC to play EQ? (2 Viewers)

Pretty low end here.
I tend to reuse stuff, relace parts.
My previous laptop to this one had parts of the case cut away, was nailed to a couple of wooden risers (for air flow), and the only original parts left was the mainboard and ... fan I think.
I used a usb hub so I could connect external usb wireless, audio, hard drives, keyboard and mouse.
The last couple of years of it's life, it was reduced to being a rdp interface, enabling me to work from one of my VM's (windows and Linux) on the server downstairs.
When the onboard graphics finally died and I was forced to replace it, it was about 14 years old and still running windows 8.1 (it had been upgraded from vista to windows 7 previously. Windows 10 refused) =D

I'm currently running an hp laptop that's about 3 or 4 years old.

1688588131833.png

The wife said I can get a new PC this year, so yes. I plan to go full ham. I do play some other games as well - but my big win is running 12 - 18 accounts and still playing another title.

The wife said I can get a new PC this year, so yes. I plan to go full ham. I do play some other games as well - but my big win is running 12 - 18 accounts and still playing another title.
this was me last year lol. went overboard knowing I'd just be upping the number of boxes I could play simultaneously. though I do plan to play baldur's gate 3 at some point and am sure it will look very pretty

umm let's see
64 gig DDR5 Corsair Ram
Rog Strix 4090 GTX
Rog Crosshair X6070E Xtreme Motherboard
AMD 7950x 3d
4 2TB SSD's
Samsing G9 Odyssey Monitor
Lian Li Case
Rog Strix 120mm radiator and pump
LED fans
Lian Li LED Strammers

Maybe overspent just a wee bit.

I play EQ and Solitaire, I mean there are not many other games besides those.
Yeah; Ski Free, Minesweeper, Pinball...

Does it count if I built a separate system JUST to play EQ so I didn't need to spend a couple hundred on just new RAM?

16c Xeon
128GB DDR4 RAM
low-end, low power GPU
Couple SSD hard drives for spreading out disk access

Kept it under $350. Or just over $400 if we could digital KVM software.

Desktop Box
AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Vega Graphics 3.70 GHz
12.0 GB Integrated/Shared RAM (9.91 GB usable)

Attachments

• hh.jpg
    hh.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Wife complains when I want to spend 20 bucks for 8 gig of ddr3 Ram for my old Dinosaur!!!
It's better to be judged by twelve than to be carried by six....unless we're talking memory for your computer, in which case memory it is!
She might kill you, but at least you'll have the memory to recall what happened.

I absolutely overpaid to play EQ. However, I like the build process, play other games, and can have 50+ chrome tabs open while running three groups no problem!

umm let's see
64 gig DDR5 Corsair Ram
Rog Strix 4090 GTX
Rog Crosshair X6070E Xtreme Motherboard
AMD 7950x 3d
4 2TB SSD's
Samsing G9 Odyssey Monitor
Lian Li Case
Rog Strix 120mm radiator and pump
LED fans
Lian Li LED Strammers

Maybe overspent just a wee bit.
I have the G9 as well. Love that monitor. I only went slightly overboard with my 4080 tuf rig.

I'm talking with the missus about buying or building a new desktop that will have 32 or 64 gigs of ram and 2 graphics cards with a displayport (at least) v 1.2+ or better so I can daisy chain three 27 or 32" monitors from each graphics card. I only run 1920x1080 because old person eyes. I need it bigger so I can see it..... MONITORS folks, monitors *sniffles, mostly anyway* *snarks*

unless you have the whole package to support it, 2 gpu's went away like in 2011. you will do better by getting a next higher end gpu. get a new (last 2 years) gpu, and use DP to chain more then you will ever need...

I build my latest PC in the spring of 2020. With the news about COVID coming out and predictions about prices were due to go up. I pulled the trigger on an AMD 3950, 64 GB of ram, and an NVidia 2070. Total price was like $2200 which was crazy expansive for me but over the course of about 5-8 years I'd been slowly building up the number of boxed accounts for PL'ing and doing old raids. I wanted to move away from having 3-4x machines each running 6-9x to one machine able to run ~24+ One of the smoothest computer builds I've ever done and the machine is a beast.

Soon to be an owner of 7900 XTX, I'm using an RX 5700 right now.

But I feel like my monitor Samsung odyssey 32" G7 was the most useful item for Everquest thanks to the PiP tech.. so smooth to operate many toons on multiply PC's at once.

Asus Rog Strix X670-E motherboard
AMD 7950X cpu
64gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5
(x2) 2tb Samsung 980 pro nvme drives
eVGA RTX 3080
Lian Li O11 Dynamic white mid-tower
(x10) Lian Li SL Infinity Fans (way overpriced fans, but they look damn good, lol)
34" curved monitor with 2 additional 27" monitors

And...

Asus Rog Strix G512LW-XS78-R gaming laptop for when I'm traveling.:D

i snag an old pc from my old job, it is over 14 years old... runs like crap in windows 10.. but can run 10 clients with alittle goodwill :D
i wish i had something better tho !

Just started playing a couple weeks ago. Feel myself "browsing" for bigger monitors all of a sudden. Only have a single 24" right now.
I NEED bigger to play EQ!!!!

Just started playing a couple weeks ago. Feel myself "browsing" for bigger monitors all of a sudden. Only have a single 24" right now.
The 3440x1440's are really great for screen realestate. When getting a bigger monitor also consider that the resolution ultimately determines how much screen space is occupied by the UI. So higher resolution monitors will bring you more space on screen.

1440p is a great sweet spot for EQ. I have a 4k and 2 2k monitors. EQ UI is a bit small on 4k, but running ISBoxer on a 27" screen at 1440 gives you a ton of real estate on each screen if you set up each character on one screen (I personally like having them all viewable). Significantly better than 1080p, so I highly recommend going that route at a minimum, at least for boxing.

A more appropriate question for this merry bunch of boxers might be is there anyone who HASN'T overspent on their pc? I put 128 megs of crucial ddr4 ram in a mini PC in was a gaming mini pc mind you it was a ryzen 7 with v something dedicated graphics card and all the bells and whistles but i put another $300 worth of ram in it.

I have like a 34=35 inch monitor I forget who makes it. It's not a common American company I got it on Amazon. I also studio quality monitors I still mess around with the occasional song. They are Edifier

I haven't tried it with EQ as I haven't played in a while but you should be able to split it into 2. I do 3 at times in other applications. Edit on a G9

Funny - Anyone Else overspend on PC to play EQ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back