• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - anyone else feel guilty on how much money they spend on everquest? (1 Viewer)

Guilt about EQ cost, none. Its the cheapest entertainment that you can possibly get. One evening out costs more that 1 xpac + gold for the whole year.
Guilt about the amount of time spent, that is definite yes, do feel guilty about the hours and hours

Just bought a level 100 heroic toon for my 4th gold account and am starting to feel a bit guilty about it.

It's not that I can't afford it but for some reason I feel bad for doing it.

How do you all justify your purchases and make yourselves feel better about it lol. (I understand 4 gold accounts w/ all expansions on this forum is on the low-end).
Each gold account is about the price of 1 cocktail at the bar. Think about all the money you're saving!

Just bought a level 100 heroic toon for my 4th gold account and am starting to feel a bit guilty about it.

How do you all justify your purchases and make yourselves feel better about it lol. (I understand 4 gold accounts w/ all expansions on this forum is on the low-end).
I've been addicted to alot of things, this is by far the easiest, cheapest, and most fun to manage

Honestly there's probably worse things i could spend my time and money on but this keeps me from it and I'm proud actually I've found a game that's kept my interest made alot of friends along the way. All in all not a bad investment for me.

After hearing so many stories here, I can say, no.

With that being said, the amount of money I have started putting into this game over the past month, if I extrapolated it, over years I would lol! There were times in the past that I paid for 2 accounts at once, but I just didn't like the idea of multi-boxing. I absolutely loved trying to do things solo, and figure out quirks about the game that would let me solo what I could with my monk, mostly, but it eventually got too difficult if I wasn't raiding 6 days a week. The way MQ has progressed over the years, the multibox fiasco for me, has dwindled to near nothing. Seeing how VV / Kiss / Plugins have made it so easy to do things is a game changer for me. My biggest regret, is that I didn't make more friends from way back in the day. Hopefully ill change that now that playing again.

I cut back my eq spending in response to the suspension wave at the beginning of ToL. I went from 6 gold accounts with expansion purchases to 1 gold account with NoS and 5 ftp without NoS.
Exactly this. I have budget to pay for more than I do, but I fear getting a ban after paying a year for my group.

i think about how much money i could save also by cutting down on playing EQ also. but then i also think of how much i spend on maybe 7-12 account an think , im home not out at bars exc.. an how much money i do save by just staying at home playing EQ. could be alot worse things you spend your money on. $14.99 a month doesnt sound that bad when u look at what you could be wasting you money on that hits you everyday. Just my thought of it all.

How does FTP work all ur armor yellow no stat increase?
You can't equip prestige armor and augs. But there is armor and augs you can use that are non prestige
Also FTP is limited on the amount of AA's they can purchase, thus why you make them gold for a month and max AA's and you're fine when they switch back to FTP

Once upon a time, I used to do things like go to the bar... 3-5 times a week, spend all my money... have nothing to show for it. Never smoked, never did drugs. sometimes i wish i never had sex, ( things would be easier :) )
I was good and friendly with the drink. It could have been much worse. I could have also been good with the drugs and other things that cost money. EQ isnt exactly cheap but compared to the other vices, its a hell of alot safer and still a hell of alot cheaper. I look at it like that.

besides something shiny in game lasts forever:)

Have a good one

ZD

All you have is 4 accounts? I remember my first day to lol
I had 7 then suspensions hit beginning of ToL, xpacs went to 3, gold status went to 2 for first 3 months of the year and 1 permanently gold. This year who knows, if the incentive is good enough may do 3 xpacs again if not and I get a progression group may do only 1 account.

I honestly don't play eq a lot anymore, do progression for my raid toon when that is done I raidlog (log in for raids once a week)

"Anyone else feel guilty on how much money they spend on EverQuest?"

No.
I also don't justify or rationalize the cost vs something else.
Life is too short. Enjoy it.

i mean i get so much time in Eq compared to what i could spend going out drinking or to the movies or out eating...

so i'm more than fine on this spending.

So with FTP u cant go into newest expac and ur stats are all yellow?
You can go into any expansion pack if you have purchased it.

Expansions are different than subscriptions. F2P gets 27 of 29 expansions free right now. So if you buy the most recent one then you will get those last 2 and can go into those zones.

If you die right away or if you can do any of the quests is a different question.

And your stats are only yellow if you wear prestige armor. There is plenty of other good armor that F2P can wear.

No I do not regret what I spend on EQ. I have few enjoyments so this has been a very nice hobby. I have made a few friends in the game and more here. So I will be here till they close this game.

Just make friends, enjoy the game and help others that need it. It is will worth the effort.

Zeb

EverQuest has this magical way of making you feel like you're getting the best bang for your buck, right? It's a crazy deal compared to a night out on the town. As for the guilt over time spent, I'm with you on that one. Sometimes, I catch myself deep in Norrath when I should be doing something else.

I don't feel bad because my primary way to enjoy EQ is either emu servers or Test server. Test is all the benefits and none of the cost (mostly. I don't pay for expansions so there is some loss).

I love EQ, but I also love money. This is the compromise I've made for myself.

And I really do help the folks on FV with gear, weapons, plat, advice whatever I can do to help.
I have no idea if I feel less guilty because I'm doing it for more than me. But I've met some great friends and I feel good about helping others.

It provides me peace after the hard and stressful days. Just remember how hard and stressful EQ was before spending the extra money. But yeah sometimes it's rough. I always see it as an investment to farm kronos, never works tho.

I didn't see this mentioned, but I actually feel good about the money I spend on EQ.

I'm a small potato, but I have six accounts.

I understand that each sub, Krono, expansion purchase, etc. all help keep the game going in some way. EQ has meant a lot to me over the years and I'd love to see it stick around for many more.

Ran some quick compound interest (10%) napkin math and putting in the 15 dollar a month sub plus expansion purchases equals about $23,600 dollars over a 25 year period.

And that's just one sub. That being said, I doubt many stay subbed year round plus nobody just sits there and twiddles their thumbs for entertainment.

Last edited:
I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs, I don't tip when someone just pours me a cup of coffee and I don't have children to support anymore.

If they gave me the option to buy ruby red slippers with stripey socks for all my toons. *CHARGE IT*

since this thread is still going. i'd like to update everyone and say... i now have 6 gold accounts w/expansions.
i regret nothing except the fact that i didn't do it sooner lol

Like others posted, I use to hit the bar every day after work for years. Came back to the game and what I would spend in 2 days after work I spend all month playing EQ.

EverQuest has this magical way of making you feel like you're getting the best bang for your buck, right? It's a crazy deal compared to a night out on the town. As for the guilt over time spent, I'm with you on that one. Sometimes, I catch myself deep in Norrath when I should be doing something else.
And speaking of EverQuest and great deals, I'm new to this forum, but I recently stumbled upon Wealth of Geeks https://wealthofgeeks.com. They've got some interesting insights on balancing gaming and real life. If you're feeling guilty about the hours spent, they might have some tips on managing that guilt.

Never any guilt about costs...really isn't much compared to other hobbies I have. BUT it is easy to blow off a trip to the gym because you are working on something in game. I have to work to keep that in check.

Honestly if you're more of an indoors person, it's much cheaper than anything else outside, so there's no shame in treating yourself with some good ol' EQ..! :P

Never any guilt about costs...really isn't much compared to other hobbies I have. BUT it is easy to blow off a trip to the gym because you are working on something in game. I have to work to keep that in check.
Yep, agree with you here. Not as much as the finance cost but the health cost. Its so easy to put off just a short work out and I have a treadmill in the house!!! Get wrapped up in the game and don't even want to walk 10 feet to get to it to walk more lol.

I spend none! Switched to EMU (Laz) and enjoying the game like never before. I’ve donated once to the creator to give back for my experience as I’ve been happy with it, minus the MQ crashes. I’ve never felt with the last 4 expansions on live the amount I’ve spent on them was worth the value.

That said I’m 100% sure I’ll come back to live, renew my ctwn plug-ins, but with cookie cutter expansions it’s getting boring lately.

Now the problem is hitting your 40’s and getting in to whiskey and the cost with it haha!

Discussion - anyone else feel guilty on how much money they spend on everquest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back