• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - anyone else feel guilty on how much money they spend on everquest? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
1,314¢
Just bought a level 100 heroic toon for my 4th gold account and am starting to feel a bit guilty about it.

It's not that I can't afford it but for some reason I feel bad for doing it.

How do you all justify your purchases and make yourselves feel better about it lol. (I understand 4 gold accounts w/ all expansions on this forum is on the low-end).

Thanks everyone for the responses! I'm actually feeling a lot better about it now.... you may have even just convinced me to go ahead and get my 5th account 😂.

I gave up drinking awhile back and no longer go out to bars/clubs/expensive dinners.

This was really helpful for me.

I know how you feel. I’m married with kids and the wife has a weird hatred for the game..I almost feel like opening a separate checking account that I deposit 50 bucks a month into just so I can enjoy the game without hearing any backlash!

Just bought a level 100 heroic toon for my 4th gold account and am starting to feel a bit guilty about it.

How do you all justify your purchases and make yourselves feel better about it lol. (I understand 4 gold accounts w/ all expansions on this forum is on the low-end).
@smerve I pay for the wife & kids, house, cc's, student lons, mortgages, etc...While i No longer pay for EQ (wahoo CWTN Plugins and bazaar)...I do buy the CWTN plugins here and there. at $20 bucks a pop it's less than a visit to the ice cream parlor or McDonalds...heck stupid starbucks if more when everyone gets something...

I know how you feel. I’m married with kids and the wife has a weird hatred for the game..I almost feel like opening a separate checking account that I deposit 50 bucks a month into just so I can enjoy the game without hearing any backlash!
@Koko give her some alternatives...like would you rather I go hang out at the GYM ($50) a month for a few hours a day and talk to all the hot moms and young ladies there...or maybe I can always go out drinking with the buddies ($50)...lol
girls gym GIF
fitness workout GIF
hbo friendship GIF by Silicon Valley

Everquest is an inexpensive hobby in my humble opinion.

Run the price on financing both a new Ranger bass boat and a HD GMC to pull it every five years (include tackle, fuel, licensing, tags, maintenance)

versus

12 paid EQ accounts a month with xpacs, RG access, plugins, internet access, power, future pc upgrades, and the occasional krono, during the same timeframe.

As the post above states, orders of magnitude cheaper indeed :)

When I'm not playing EQ I'm ordering $4,000 rifles that my wife doesn't know about... EQ is cheaper :)

@smerve I pay for the wife & kids, house, cc's, student lons, mortgages, etc...While i No longer pay for EQ (wahoo CWTN Plugins and bazaar)...I do buy the CWTN plugins here and there. at $20 bucks a pop it's less than a visit to the ice cream parlor or McDonalds...heck stupid starbucks if more when everyone gets something...
That’s a good point . I bet they can easily pay for themselves.

Everquest is an inexpensive hobby in my humble opinion.

Run the price on financing both a new Ranger bass boat and a HD GMC to pull it every five years (include tackle, fuel, licensing, tags, maintenance)

versus

12 paid EQ accounts a month with xpacs, RG access, plugins, internet access, power, future pc upgrades, and the occasional krono, during the same timeframe.

As the post above states, orders of magnitude cheaper indeed :)
@simcoe you forgot beer buddy. No one is going fishing and having a good time without that…
Drunk Indie Film GIF by Arrow Video

HMS Fill’er’Up!

@simcoe you forgot beer buddy. No one is going fishing and having a good time without that…
Drunk Indie Film GIF by Arrow Video

HMS Fill’er’Up!
Great point, can't believe I left out "road sodas" as a former co-worker called 'em.

Which makes me wonder, what's the ratio of alcohol consumed/hour between the two hobbies, EQ and fishing? Should have factored this into my first response lol

I cut back my eq spending in response to the suspension wave at the beginning of ToL. I went from 6 gold accounts with expansion purchases to 1 gold account with NoS and 5 ftp without NoS.

That's about what I have spent on EQ this year. About $4,000 but I'm not a golfer. I'm ok with that.
I spend around $280/month, and play at least least 10 hours a week. So it costs around $7/hr to play EQ with multiple gold groups. I could play more and pay less by buying KR more often, but meh, its supposed to be fun not a job. Cheap hobby overall, even with multiple groups.

I can relate. My wife does not share my passion for EQ at all. I surmise that she'd rather I spend my almost non-existent free time working on house projects or paying attention to her and the kids. Everyone needs a little me time though and I think she realizes that when she stops to think, before she reacts. As long as I don't overindulge on this addiction, we are fine lol.

My wife and I play together frequently. She loves the game. She even asks me routinely about playing, if I am busy with work and haven't gotten to play recently. (this has been one of those stretches of time lately)

the main reason i play on test is cause i'm a cheapskate ... by saving on monthly subs i don't have to farm krono etc ... the cost of buying12 expansions each year is still cheaper than playing on live and than the benefit of having X amount of free to play accts that i can gear up with the same set of gear from fv every 8 hours is a huge bonus as well ... huge savings

food for thought

It will get expensive when the new expansion drops and because there is a level increase I will buy it at least 54 times.
But even if your hobby was Golf you would spend thousands on green fees and clubs every year.

No Regerts!
1694822043517.png

As long as you're meeting all your other obligations and needs, consider it "entertainment" for budgeting purposes.

I kind of shudder when I hear folks "hiding" expenditures from their partners, but I imagine some folks have a bit of "don't ask don't tell", so trying not to judge too hard.

The good thing is eq is pretty cheap entertainment, AND allows you to scale back if things are tighter than usual, which is nice.

Xpacs can certainly hurt a bit

OP, I used to feel bad for spending money on gaming ... then I realized how cheap EQ really is when compared to other things mentioned in this thread.

What's important is this - are you having fun playing your lvl 100 Heroic? If so, money well spent.

Nah B. Try being 27 and going to bars looking for dates. That shit adds up!

I’m running 18 gold accounts, 2-4 toons per account, each one heroic’d (although I do save my SC for this purpose as much as I can). Wife thanks me for being a cheap date every month, and she knows my eq downtime after the household goes to bed is my “me” time to go nuts ;)

I picked up 3 overtime shifts at work this month to justify it. Even then I do feel a little guilty, but like others have stated this is a very very cheap hobby compared to most.

When I hit $1000 I told myself no more, then at 25K I felt stupid like wasting it.
THEN When I $55k I came here so I cannot track but it has been THOUDSANDS more on top of that..

When I hit $1000 I told myself no more, then at 25K I felt stupid like wasting it.
THEN When I $55k I came here so I cannot track but it has been THOUDSANDS more on top of that..
what about folks who invested in the $10k+ for EQ3?

never counted the pennies - but if I did, I would not flinch to be honest. 23-24years of at least 2 accounts gold at all times - plus expacs - plus times when I ran 2 full groups of gold - some heroics - buying and selling accounts way back in the day .... I still spent less money that my buddies that bar hopped back in the day, I spend less money now than with mostly free accounts than cable tv costs in a month. And even when things got thin - can just downsize to FTP for a bit until the road clears back up.

only thing I regret is not getting better at the game in all that time...lol

Discussion - anyone else feel guilty on how much money they spend on everquest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back