• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - 40 Boxing 1 PC (1 Viewer)

eq1984

SUSPENDED
RedCents
230¢
I’ve always been lead to believe the CPU takes the brunt of the load?
That you can run EQ with a GTX750?

So what would the ideal setup for a 40 box be?
Are there limitations beyond hardware?

I have 5-6 sticks of 8gig DDR4 4800 laying around and a lightly used GTX 2080 Super. M VC
EQ does nothing with SLI, correct?

Would I be able to use those with this 3790X Threadripper thing?
I realize it’s not intended for games but if it’s CPU power I need, would that not be it?
Beyond the power supply, the rest is personal preference?

I run 30 on a I7 8700k with 32 gigs of ram and the CPU is the bottle neck for me when i start getting all of them loaded in.

I load one group at a time to be on the safe side and wait until they are fully in the game to load the next.

I would assume the ryzen threadripper would be better for it as it has more cores that you can spread out the instances by setting each cupaffinity to -0 in the eqclient.ini

I boxed 24 on my PC but it was when the client was Titanium which had lower requirements. My CPU is an old 2500K which I oc'd to 4.7ghz and it did fine. I think the CPU usage got high ish but I don't think it went above 70% or so. It really helped to use the CPU plugin, although MQ2EQWire probably makes it much better now. My GPU was an old HD 5870 which is crap by modern standards and that did fine too. The GPU isn't used much by this game, even when you box. My main problem was RAM. I had 16gb and I had to shut down everything in the background to load in the last 6. I couldn't even open a browser while playing. 32GB would be awesome.

This is EQwire:

It will make a big difference for you. With your setup and 32GB of RAM, I am sure it could cope with more than 40 boxes.

I'd probably want one-2 clients per thread and 1.5GB of memory per client. Right now IHC will take up 10-15 percent CPU usage on an 8th gen i5. With EQWire and appropriate INI settings I don't know if the GPU would bottleneck on any modern 8GB GPU.

Graphics won't be your issue, I have an older i5 rig running 18 characters with onboard video. Depending on optimization 750mb-1gig per client for memory usage is pretty common in my experience depending on which macro is being run.

In my experience Memory and CPU have always been the limiting factors in how many characters I could play at once. Strongest CPU I currently have is an AMD 2700, which is able to handle 30 clients without issue (running EQWire) so you should be able to do 40+ np with a threadripper.

In live I just 6 boxed. But on PEQ which is good for doing your own raids, I had 3 groups, a caster group with bard to boost their spells, a melee group with bard to boost their melee, and an all rounder group with the tank and cleric, shammy, enc, etc. to do all the buffing and mezzes and whatnot. I also had a 4th group I sometimes used which was wizzies for AOE shenanigans, and I had a macro that swapped one into each group for ports.

Question - 40 Boxing 1 PC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back