• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - With NetEase gone will EQ see a huge China player influx?!?! (1 Viewer)

MrFrog

RedCents
1,161¢
The title says it all really. Looking like millions from China are going to be looking for a new gaming experience now. Anyone on RG have any insight on this and what do people think of the possibility of so many possibly landing in EQ?

i doubt eq will have a draw on the chinese players who are more common to much more modern and different styled mmo's

With so many players without WoW access now, it would only take a small percentage of them to eclipse EQ's current users. It may take a miracle but it's not an outrageous possibility.

Most new games don't have the depth, history or track record but I hear what you're all saying. Was just thinking of the numbers and even 20k new/returning players would make an impact on EQ.

Possible incentive for the Real World money making though...Plat/Krono/Named hogging/Char selling. Its easy cash for some lonely bored souls. Could bring some back to servers and impact things.

No. Chinese population heavily skewed towards mobile gaming. You can't pay2win in EQ through DBG, so little incentive for that market.
Kind of disagree there @v1ndi ...with some of the community tools you can certainly make a living out of eq.
You can see evidence on some servers:
  • JeromePowell 24/7 krono buying-re-selling
  • Provider's 24/7 afk pwlvl sellers...for kr...
  • etc...
Jamie Foxx GIF by Kanye West

It's not about making a living, it's about paying so you can show you're better than people - which is a huge cultural portion of gaming in Asia. Pay2Win is seen as a means of showing off your wealth and status, and isn't nearly as frowned upon over there. My point is about the ability to pay for power directly through in-game means, which is a staple in Asian MMOs (Blade n Soul, BDO, Lost Ark, etc). Additionally, my main point of why China losing WoW will have virtually no impact on EQ's population is because mobile gaming accounts for about an 80% market share for all gaming in China (https://www.statista.com/topics/4642/gaming-in-china/#dossierKeyfigures)

Possible incentive for the Real World money making though...Plat/Krono/Named hogging/Char selling. Its easy cash for some lonely bored souls. Could bring some back to servers and impact things.
IDK, I see the same accounts on ECT not selling for months at a time. Powerleveling can be lucrative, but it's a one and done transaction. Recurring RMT (e.g. selling clear runs, selling dungeon carries, raid clears, mount drops, etc, is way more $$$ than a 10 dollar krono). As an example, my FF14 group used to sell ultimate raid clears for $1000 a run, and we would pilot 8 characters. So ~8 grand for about 20 minutes of work.

The fact that someone would pay 1k for a totle and weapon glam is….sad. For them. Not your static.
when i was on riz i knew a guy who fronted his own cash for 36 accts a month, some people just have a large enough expendable income to do things like paying for a raid clear etc ... thats the great thing about games, play how you see fit its your money spend it how you like ... me personally i spend my extra income collecting records lol

BTW the whole thing about netease is that people in china cannot play western games unless they have a chinese provider. So i'm not sure how _any_ chinese players would be able to play everquest. Chinese laws ban *all* personal information from leaving the country, so you cannot even host everquest servers for chinese players outside of china.

Too many hurdles to suggest any real possibility of an influx of players from that region. There may be some, but EQ is certainly not of this era in gaming. I wouldn't be worried about it.

IRL - With NetEase gone will EQ see a huge China player influx?!?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back