• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

News - Windows11 (1 Viewer)

mastar

RedCents
854¢
Hi all,
I wanted to share my experience with installing Windows11 and EQ ,
personally, I was a bit worried that something would not work, and if EQ will work maybe MQ2 may have a problem so I kind of delayed that decision until yesterday.
I'm HAPPY to tell you that so far from what I can tell everything is working fine!
that's not a recommendation from me to install windows 11, just my own experience.

/cheers !

Been running win 11 on my laptop for almsot 2 months, one desktop for a month now.

Laptop has win 11
i5 8core processor2.75ghz
16gb ram
2x 500gb SSD(1 for gaming)
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650 vid card with 4gb ram

Second Desktop has win 11
AMD FX 8320 8core 3.5ghz
16gb ram
1tb hybrid drive
500gb SSD(gaming)
GeForce GT 740 with 4gb ram

Primary Desktop(3 OS's, win 10, unix, win 11)
AMD FX 8320 3.5ghz
32gb ram
4HDs
500gb SSD for OS's
1tb SSD for games
1tb ssd for photographs and videos
1tb ssd misc
Nvidia Titan Xp 12gb ram

so far Win 11 works fine an all. Big thing to watch for is win 11 requires UEFI hard drives. I had to replace 1 SSD cause it wasnt UEFI enabled.

so far RG/Next and eq run just fine on all of them.

Make sure to update ALL drivers if you upgrade to 11

May I ask what hardware you are using and if you have seen any EQ / MQ2 benefits with Windows 11?
my hardware is nothing fancy intel i5 8th gen no GPU ! i notice that the only thing that was keeping me from running 10 accounts in the same time was memory so i'm using 64Gb . CPU around 80% 3.8Ghz , memory around 50% , i cant say much about windows 11 really , its very new to me , but so far very smooth , i don't want to say better yet but ill keep you posted , EQ / MQ2 no effect for the worst thats for sure !

I said ill share my experience with the new windows 11 consering the game so ..
small update found something that is a bit annoying,
1640577812985.png

when you open a few windows of EQ it will cascade them in to 1 icon on the task bar, i spoke to Microsoft support about it .
and there is no way to Un Cascade them, i thought it was a joke at first but then i found this:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-11/856279f9-7abf-453c-81e4-0c7c147efef0

I'm so use to moving between windows using the taskbar that will be something i'll need to get use to or use the GO BACK option to switch back to windows 10 which FYI available for only 10 days after you installed windows 11.

good luck !

Check out 7+ Taskbar Tweaker. Nice utility that provides for unstacking icons among other customizations. I use it. May even work with windows 11. If not now, im sure it will be. That utility has been around since windows 7 and is updated constantly.

Check out 7+ Taskbar Tweaker. Nice utility that provides for unstacking icons among other customizations. I use it. May even work with windows 11. If not now, im sure it will be. That utility has been around since windows 7 and is updated constantly.

It doesn't work with windows 11 but they did post a work around to get the windows 10 taskbar on windows 11 and get it working.

Been running win 11 on my laptop for almsot 2 months, one desktop for a month now.

Laptop has win 11
i5 8core processor2.75ghz
16gb ram
2x 500gb SSD(1 for gaming)
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650 vid card with 4gb ram

Second Desktop has win 11
AMD FX 8320 8core 3.5ghz
16gb ram
1tb hybrid drive
500gb SSD(gaming)
GeForce GT 740 with 4gb ram

Primary Desktop(3 OS's, win 10, unix, win 11)
AMD FX 8320 3.5ghz
32gb ram
4HDs
500gb SSD for OS's
1tb SSD for games
1tb ssd for photographs and videos
1tb ssd misc
Nvidia Titan Xp 12gb ram

so far Win 11 works fine an all. Big thing to watch for is win 11 requires UEFI hard drives. I had to replace 1 SSD cause it wasnt UEFI enabled.

so far RG/Next and eq run just fine on all of them.

Make sure to update ALL drivers if you upgrade to 11
My PC recently died and I just built a new one. I don't have a win 11 code so I had to install win 10 and then "upgrade" to win 11. The CSM and UEFI part was a PITA for sure. I had to do the conversion through an elevated command line and then change the bios. Seems obvious now but wasn't at the time. I think I reset my bios about 5 times before i got it to boot into windows after changing to UEFI. Now if I can only figure out how to get my full ram speed without without jacking everything up.

that's not a recommendation from me to install windows 11, just my own experience.
So what is your take on Windows 11? Smaller footprint I assume but is it even more intrusive than 10? How much is cloudbased like a Chromebook? What kinda limitations are there for older software?

I've always hated 10, and every new iteration of windows makes me cringe even more than the last, but I'm always hoping one will actually be better.

Background: I shut off all updates and scans for updates ASAP, only do when a software change requires it. Can 10 be upgraded directly? If so, does it stop the evergrowing windows size? It's highly annoying to me that it does that and haven't found a way to stop it- supposedly the fewer things you do the less it grows but I just do eq, word, and browsers...4 different ones to keep 4 different accounts open on the same website simultaneously...but I tend to keep dozens of tabs open at a time and lately I can't open a second EQ instance or do too many downloads or windows explorer etc at once without seriously cranking up my CPU fan, so I'm not loading EQ the same as I'd like(the alts from my main PC now have to load on a different machine and I don't like that), and shutting down every thing possible to keep the fan down. I'm not eating all my resources when this happens or anything, not even 1/3, but it's aggravating, so I'm casually looking for a better solution.

Took years sadly to get 10 finally set up to not upgrade without my permission-with a lengthy list of blocked crap in my firewall and a loss of both windows store use and possibly related, the inability to use RG launcher due to some weird thing about c++ or .net or something(I forget) being"incompatible with this windows" and thus not completing install, so I've had to do that by hand this whole time.

Hoping 11 has better options and can allow me to use the launcher like the rest of my machines before I NEED to use NEXT.

I said ill share my experience with the new windows 11 consering the game so ..
small update found something that is a bit annoying,
View attachment 36278

when you open a few windows of EQ it will cascade them in to 1 icon on the task bar, i spoke to Microsoft support about it .
and there is no way to Un Cascade them, i thought it was a joke at first but then i found this:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-11/856279f9-7abf-453c-81e4-0c7c147efef0

I'm so use to moving between windows using the taskbar that will be something i'll need to get use to or use the GO BACK option to switch back to windows 10 which FYI available for only 10 days after you installed windows 11.

good luck !
Did you try this?

News - Windows11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back