• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - Why do you play Everquest over all other games. (1 Viewer)

It's good for business. I am opening a retirement home specifically for the EQ player community. The gym and healthcare are not the best, but the food and gaming experience are top notch. Our IT staff keep everything up to date, and secure, and ensure everyone gets to raid on time. BYO-Guild or join one of ours.
What a seriously supreme concept. Include RG and you're set up!!!!

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.... ok, let's not but here are a few reasons.

I started with UO.. I left because of PKers and the fact there was no real punishments for being a douchecanoe (because of UO I also avoided the zek servers after beta)
I met half of the people I call friends today playing eq..
I met my wife playing eq..

then there are the in-game memories:
that first time hearing !!!DING!!! and the serotonin boost...
launch day and all the humans in Qeynos hiding by the guards and torches since it was too dark (and unsafe) to go out beyond that...
the sense of accomplishment (started in beta, so I still remember hell levels, real XP penalties, corpse runs)

what about the nostalgia?
remember when people would quit and there would be these tear-jerking goodbye videos?
remember when people would get married in the game?
remember falling through the boat and having to swim?
remember bards offering run-to-freeport services from qeynos?
remember the requirement that you grouped with others and knew your class?
remember having to print paper maps?

Because I have no trust in modern MMOs. I'm tired of being funneled, sold to, paying for something that Black Desert is just going to delete. My house on EverQuest Next was looking really nice. Vanguard looked really promising until the UI lagged out everyone's pc.

Because I have no trust in modern MMOs. I'm tired of being funneled, sold to, paying for something that Black Desert is just going to delete. My house on EverQuest Next was looking really nice. Vanguard looked really promising until the UI lagged out everyone's pc.
I miss Vanguard... they had some really fun ways to play classes which I haven't seen in a game since.

Everquest has its unique charm, right? It's intriguing how different games resonate with us. Have you ever explored the competitive scene in CS:GO? The rush of strategy and skill in CS:GO often hooks players in a different way. Just like the in-depth discussions and community vibes you find in gaming hubs like the CS2 market, CS:GO offers its own dynamic realm.

i just love MMOs and nothing has kept its integrity as far as serving an MMO community and not adjusting continuously in pursuit of capturing the next new player.

EQ just respects the long term more than most. ive found myself coming back to it over and over again when i want a real project. all my other MMO pursuits have practically spat in my face by undermining everything they sold to me at the start (BDO being the latest in a long tine). they always pulll the rug on me eventually by changing the game to suit a new audience.

i started EQ back in 99 and i was 7 years old. it just blew me away being able to play with people. people took me under their wing and to me i saw them as heroes. i also played with my dad and it was my primary connection to him since i saw him only once every couple of weeks and he slept half the time cause he worked nights. i grew up with my "imagination play" with my brother about being in norrath, fighting skeletons and raiding crushbone castle. its tied in my mind for "core of what fantasy is" with lord of the rings.

theres also different flavors for me too which is a huge factor. i can go on live and raid, i can go on live and box a whole team and play the game in a totally different way either manually or with mq2 automation so that the game plays at a totally different level, or i can hop back onto p99 where my characters have been patiently sitting for nearly a decade now and the world is just waiting for me to hop back in, exactly the same as it was. if i hop on any of my other MMO's, its like i go back and my characters are just some low level jabronis even though they used to be all-powerful. EQ has just been a fixture of stability in my life where i can still point to the things i love about it and they still exist, they arent just a remnant of "the good old days". they may be split up into p99, progression, and live server... but they are still there. its my "theres always money in the banana stand" fall back for gaming

Been playing on an off for 20+ years like most, hopelessly addicted despite it being a huge timesink and extremely frustrating at times, I think many of us are masochists when it comes to this game but we love it anyway.

I've walked away numerous times but keep coming back.

They Pull Me Back In Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather

At it's very best Everquest is a tremendous contest between Players ( hopefully more than one ) and environment. Epic struggles we write about, take photos of. And at the end Players are rewarded with loot. And we all love our new loot. I think sharing loot is cool. Spread that feeling.

I suspect people play EQ for the following reasons in various measure:

A like for medieval/fantasy genre
A sense of accomplishment
An ability to subtly or not so subtly showcase this accomplishment to others
A sense of teamwork
A sense of adventure

The last reason is all but gone these days given the rote nature of the game, but the others persist.

I'm not sure why, I was a D&D player back in the 70s and EQ just ticked all the boxes. My love/hate relationship started in 99 and is still rocking. I've tried many other games but keep coming back to EQ. I'm toughly enjoying Lazarus.

I always were a fan of fantasy.
I play EverQuest because i can get ready in about 2 minutes and leave immediately.
All the repetitive tasks are automated.
it is close to Baldur gate.
I don’t play any other mmo and have no plan to even try any other.
I play CRPG like pathfinder on occasion.

the world was so immersive it drew me in. I love the lore and fantasy world of norrath. The social interactions with people along the way was very satisfying. No other game has kept my attention more than eq but I do stray from time to time lol.

Mostly for the older, MUD-inspired content. No other MMO has really attempted to do the same. The content copied by WoW(and then from them thereon) is the content in EQ I didn't like, so I have no reason to move on.

Adventure game style quests/NPCs — I recall, I believe it was Brad(although my memory could be wrong), saying NPCs were designed to feel like interacting with other players. Factions. Being able to attack (nearly) any NPC. Lots of opaque systems for the players to figure out, some of which are still debated to this day. Nonlinearity. Willingness to throw in high level enemies in low-level zones to keep them dangerous. Lots of flavorful & diverse spells with interesting and not-so-obvious uses… illusions in general… so on and so forth.

Also helps that it's one of the few class-based MMOs that hasn't decided to erase the differences between classes and they remain very distinct.

It feels like a place that I used to live in lol. It's like going home and seeing your old town again. I started with a couple friends in May 1999, I was 27 then, I'm 52 now lol. So many good memories and fun times, camping the Ghoulbane for 3 days, trying to get Jboots from the Ancient cyclops. No way you could have ever convinced me back then, that I would be playing EQ almost 25 yrs later!

Maybe it's just the nostalgia, but I love the world and lore. It's a very fun place to live in. A lot of that has gone away in the recent expansions, but it's still there if you look for it.

It's also nice that there is just SO many things to do to advance your character, arguably too many things to do. But it gives that sense of character progression that lasts a really long time.

IRL - Why do you play Everquest over all other games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back