• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Discussion - Why DBG likes using old expan zones' names? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
609¢
When i farming some rare drops for bard's epic 2.0
Several days with no drop I realized that i was in wrong zone lol

DBG is just too lazy to give us new zones' name or they wanna us rem the old days?
Any idea Next expan would use old zone names to?

Epic 2.0s are level 70 items. Nothing passed Omens of War existed when those quests were created. If you're in level 110 Dragon Necropolis, that's kind of "on you" for not knowing content. Misclicking and ending up in the wrong spot...I think most of us have done that. Then zoned out and got where we intended to.

Zone names. We see very little actual new content. Dark light, deepshade and firefall actually surprised me as it was three "new" zones in one expac, but mostly we get new versions of old content. It's been that way for many years. It's unlikely to change.

When i farming some rare drops for bard's epic 2.0
Several days with no drop I realized that i was in wrong zone lol

DBG is just too lazy to give us new zones' name or they wanna us rem the old days?
Any idea Next expan would use old zone names to?
nostalgia pays the bills.

(imo) they try and find a balance between itching nostalgic memories, and giving new content. back in the TBL interviews with the developers they touched on that a little bit.

a misconception is that using an old zone is less work cause they can just copy-paste the old zone file - but according to some interviews, they actually rebuild the entire zone, which is why you end up with the differences you see in places like CS and CS2

TBL was shitty mechanically but they did a good job imo of the nostalgia and new

They're all "new" zones. Every zone in these current expansions is built from scratch and populated with mobs, items, quests, etc. None of it is copied-and-pasted from the old zones. Even the zone terrain and geometry is different. Go look at the older zones and you'll see many differences. They are in no way saving time or resources by doing revamps/remakes or w/e you want to call it.

I'd imagine that it's actually harder to recreate old zones. The differences between new and old are very visible. Making a new zone you don't have that issue.

Because nobody there has learned yet how to ask ChatGPT for zone name ideas.

Prompt: Suggest new zone names for a game named Everquest

Answer: Sure! Here are some suggestions for new zone names:

1. Twilight Vale
  2. Celestial Enclave
  3. Emberwood Forest
  4. Crystal Caverns
  5. Stormreach Citadel
  6. Frozen Peaks
  7. Whispering Marshes
  8. Serpent's Embrace
  9. Astral Nexus
  10. Shadowed Abyss
  11. Radiant Gardens
  12. Thunderclap Gorge
  13. Mists of Time
  14. Solarium Sanctum
  15. Ebon Spire
  16. Dreamer's Haven
  17. Forgotten Ruins
  18. Ivory Shores
  19. Verdant Canopy
  20. Tempest Isle

They're all "new" zones. Every zone in these current expansions is built from scratch and populated with mobs, items, quests, etc. None of it is copied-and-pasted from the old zones. Even the zone terrain and geometry is different. Go look at the older zones and you'll see many differences. They are in no way saving time or resources by doing revamps/remakes or w/e you want to call it.

Actually its a huge save on resources and time. I've asked before they said it takes them a year for art to create an entirely new zone. So they use old ones that fit the lore its easier to change a few things over doing an entire zone over.

Actually its a huge save on resources and time. I've asked before they said it takes them a year for art to create an entirely new zone. So they use old ones that fit the lore its easier to change a few things over doing an entire zone over.

Not to mention there is a vast different in remaking parts of a zone geometry to feel and look difference vs having to design / architect a zone from scratch. Two very different items entirely with far less consumption in time.

Anyone that did ToL beta knows they reuse old zones with new skins. Qwalla even said she had made a couple changes (keyed doors, getting out of water), but left the rest alone.

Discussion - Why DBG likes using old expan zones' names?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back