• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Poll - What's the most impressive EQ accomplishment of all time? (1 Viewer)

What's the most impressive EQ accomplishment of all time?

• Total voters
I always thought that clearing NToV and doing the ring event at the end on the same raid was an accomplishment back in the day... Starting at 6pm and finishing at 3 or 4 in the morning after a string of deaths was always a good memory of the game for me!

Would have to give it to killing the Sleeper but breaking Fear was probably the hardest thing you had to frequently do if you raided back in the day. Everyone understood how difficult it was and how easily a raid could wipe doing it. It still amazes me how other guilds would drop what they were doing and potentially spend hours breaking in to Fear to CR a dead raid group and then leave. You just don't see that anymore.

Man, The Plane of Sky pre-Kunark was impossible. If you don't believe me, go try it for yourself (using only pre-Kunark gear at level 50). Sleeper with 200 characters (that zerged) isn't that impressive. Another thing that is impressive is the fact that EQ still has this many subs 15 years in. I thought it would be a year or two, and then the emulators would take over. But damn, it's still fun (from original to current content).

Man, The Plane of Sky pre-Kunark was impossible. If you don't believe me, go try it for yourself (using only pre-Kunark gear at level 50). Sleeper with 200 characters (that zerged) isn't that impressive. Another thing that is impressive is the fact that EQ still has this many subs 15 years in. I thought it would be a year or two, and then the emulators would take over. But damn, it's still fun (from original to current content).
You forgot to mention that this wasn't just 200 people, this was 200 people that coordinated an otherwise, literally, impossible event on a PVP server while fighting another guild, not only doing it once but twice.

There were actually 4 guilds there, one guild was trying to kill another of the guilds.

Getting a guild, on any server, to work together is hard enough. Getting 3 on a pvp server to work together is essentially impossible.

You forgot to mention that this wasn't just 200 people, this was 200 people that coordinated an otherwise, literally, impossible event on a PVP server while fighting another guild, not only doing it once but twice.

There were actually 4 guilds there, one guild was trying to kill another of the guilds.

Getting a guild, on any server, to work together is hard enough. Getting 3 on a pvp server to work together is essentially impossible.

I feel like you never did pre-Kunark sky =P (even on progression servers it's stupid hard, and that's with a lot of modern conveniences that make it easier). The Sleeper was an easy target to rally for since no one else had ever killed him (same reason why people go for server firsts), and they had a lot of previous experience to build on. I stick by my opinion that beating sky when it was released is far harder than coordinating 200 people to zerg the sleeper -- they simply rezzed faster than he could kill (in addition to the fact that there was a bug where no NPC was regenning HP in combat). Back before kunark, there weren't even 200 players at max level (hyperbole, but still -- they were few and far between since people for the most part had no idea how to min/max to win).

I feel like you never did pre-Kunark sky =P (even on progression servers it's stupid hard, and that's with a lot of modern conveniences that make it easier). The Sleeper was an easy target to rally for since no one else had ever killed him (same reason why people go for server firsts), and they had a lot of previous experience to build on. I stick by my opinion that beating sky when it was released is far harder than coordinating 200 people to zerg the sleeper -- they simply rezzed faster than he could kill (in addition to the fact that there was a bug where no NPC was regenning HP in combat). Back before kunark, there weren't even 200 players at max level (hyperbole, but still -- they were few and far between since people for the most part had no idea how to min/max to win).

Even though I was there for the Zek raid, I might have to agree with you.

EQ was pretty buggy (buggier than today even) before Kunark.

I think these two posts from EQ forums sum up the POS that was PoS:

Reaching last Isle in Sky. People would not accept such a zone anymore nowadays. Were the keys were no rent, you fell down to Freeport without a chance to get back because the key was gone unless you. Keep some people up there and a necro online so the key does not poof, make corpse on first isle and summon them up to rez them there, or bug the corpses by looting them and keep loot window open until it close on its own, so the corpses were still rezzable even 3 hours were over, so people could leave and come back the next day.
No raid window at that time, so no zonewide invitations, no coh.
So I remember a lot of exploits, weird tactics, pissed people, angry people and to get your Epic 1, most classes needed Sky

Truth. My first PoSky raid was around 17 hours long and we got as high as Spiroc Island...and people were enjoying it.

Back in 2004 I was on another board and we used MQ and there was for a VERY short window in time a fletcher item that you could buy 100% of the materials from a vendor, make it and sell it back for a few coppers profit, using Mq2 and a macro for it I made my 1st EQ million! Before I could make my 2nd million the nerf hammer came down but oh what a week that was! 1 Mil Plat on full auto pilot!

Back in 2004 I was on another board and we used MQ and there was for a VERY short window in time a fletcher item that you could buy 100% of the materials from a vendor, make it and sell it back for a few coppers profit, using Mq2 and a macro for it I made my 1st EQ million! Before I could make my 2nd million the nerf hammer came down but oh what a week that was! 1 Mil Plat on full auto pilot!

Oh man, I should have added the most impressive hacks/exploits of all time. I remember Plazmic taking control of other players and making them do whatever he wanted.

Well one of the first impressive things I saw was some wee little chanter or maybe a druid killing Giants in North Karana in the original release before any expansion. The impressive thing was that they would us a willowisp to kill the gaint. In order to kill wisps back then you need a "magic" weapon. Not Fine Steel, not rusty, not bronze, but a real magic weapon. Well the poor giants didn't have magic weapons and would just keep hitting the wisps and not kill them off, and the toon who was charming the wisps would EVENTUALLY kill the giant. But of course, Sony recoded NPC to hit anything basically after that :)

But the next impressive thing, which I'm sure old school players remember, is taking your level 10 or lower toon and going from Qeynos to Freeport or Freeport to Qeynos without sow, without ports, without Selo's. Antonica was so LARGE back then without the means of transportion that are available in the game now.

Most impressive to me. EQ attracts people who are allways willing to help each other out. Can allways see and find people who give without asking something in return.
So for me its "The Inspiration other folks give to share with the community."

Crystane

I know that PoSky was near impossible but it was done... killing the sleeper was not supposed to EVER happen.

I remember that there was a server wide chat channel that was keeping the entire EQ world up to date on that ... it was amazing reading the chat as things were happening I spent the entire night in the old bazaar (oh i miss the old bazaar) just reading and chatting about what was going on.

Would have to give it to killing the Sleeper but breaking Fear was probably the hardest thing you had to frequently do if you raided back in the day. Everyone understood how difficult it was and how easily a raid could wipe doing it. It still amazes me how other guilds would drop what they were doing and potentially spend hours breaking in to Fear to CR a dead raid group and then leave. You just don't see that anymore.

Back in the day, we had a bad fear raid. It took 3 guilds, about 4+ hour corpse recovery and a few corpses that could not be recovered. I was so worried that my corpse would rot. I still talk occasionally to one of the people who helped get my corpse back.

You are right. Dont think it would ever happen now, but then again, people dont have to worry about loosing their gear either.

Poll - What's the most impressive EQ accomplishment of all time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back