• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - What is "Very Vanilla" exactly? (1 Viewer)

Not_The_Droid

RedCents
146¢
I'm interested in running MQ. Not against paying either. My biggest question is MQ and Kissassist plug and play? Or is there an extensive amount of adding plug-ins/script writing I have to do? As I am a lazy SoB and don't want to a bunch of typing and looking up scripts to plug into the program. Mostly looking for ease of use. Thanks for your time!

I'm interested in running MQ. Not against paying either. My biggest question is MQ and Kissassist plug and play? Or is there an extensive amount of adding plug-ins/script writing I have to do? As I am a lazy SoB and don't want to a bunch of typing and looking up scripts to plug into the program. Mostly looking for ease of use. Thanks for your time!
Nothing here is truly plug and play. You have to know what its intent is, how it operates, quirks of programs, quirks of EQ that could mess up programs, etc. There are literally so many possibilities, writing a program to deal with every single one of them would be impossible. Your desired level of involvement would base your interaction with RG quite heavily. The basic money you pay is for access to the community and not for the programs. If you want less decision making in your programs, they have the CWTN programs and some premium programs that cost money here.

also, very vanilla is a built version of MQ with all the "hacks" taken out of it.

Very Vanilla is the redguide's build of macroquest our "flavor" - the name comes from back-in-times where there were more prevalent "active" hacks around.

MQ these days doesn't support active hacks - tho other places might have various things that MQ and RG doesn't.

RG offers a HUGE availability of resources - precompiled and packaged to make using MQ easier and more "point and click" than compiling yourself from source, tho we do keep "open vanilla" up to date so you can self-compile if you wanted to.

some automation try and handle all the stuff without needing much configuration - rgmecs, xgen, and the cwtn plugins to name a few - others you can customize a bit more with configs (usually .ini files)

the best thing to do is just get started

Getting Started / Returning user

Welcome to RedGuides, fellow EQ multi-boxing enthusiast!

The best place to begin is our "New User Guide" video series, click this TV to watch:

This step-by-step series will teach absolute beginners how to control 6 characters at once while highlighting Nav, AutoLogin, and DanNet, which are fundamental plugins that will enhance every aspect of your game.

Returning users check out - MacroQuest Release Party: https://www.redguides.com/community/threads/macroquest-release-party.80628/ for information about changes from the legacy MQ2 to the new and awesome MQ

I appreciate the quick responses. Fully automated boxing isn't my intent but alt tabbing a lot less and having buffs recast might be a nice addition, as well as a follow command that works. I tried downloading base MQ and could not get it to launch correctly, which is probably user error more than anything. Im going through and watching videos now, and I can see it's not as I thought it was hit a button and X happens, but it also isnt super labor intensive especially with pre-made ini files.

Welcome! your EQ is about to get so much better. The people here already hit the high points, and you said your moving to the videos, that is good stuff :toot:

So watch the videos, grab your group go out in a "safe" zone (something your not gonna get insta splatted in) and play around, using the videos as a guide. RG MQ is very easy to use, has an amazing community, and makes EQ enjoyable again. Please dont get flustered, play around, come back and ask questions (or drop by the discord) we are all here to play EQ, MQ adds many more things that take a bit more learning.

Also, @ImGreg is lazy, but is a EQ/MQ pro, so its deff possible (<3 Greg!)

Welcome! your EQ is about to get so much better. The people here already hit the high points, and you said your moving to the videos, that is good stuff :toot:

So watch the videos, grab your group go out in a "safe" zone (something your not gonna get insta splatted in) and play around, using the videos as a guide. RG MQ is very easy to use, has an amazing community, and makes EQ enjoyable again. Please dont get flustered, play around, come back and ask questions (or drop by the discord) we are all here to play EQ, MQ adds many more things that take a bit more learning.

Also, @ImGreg is lazy, but is a EQ/MQ pro, so its deff possible (<3 Greg!)
Is the Discord just Redguides as well? Watching the videos the nav alone makes me want to get this running. It's gonna be a little more learning than I was anticipating I think but definitely excited to try lol.

Is the Discord just Redguides as well? Watching the videos the nav alone makes me want to get this running. It's gonna be a little more learning than I was anticipating I think but definitely excited to try lol.
There is a MQ and RG discord. I would at least check out the RG one, full of great people, and normally (99%) easy to ask a question and get a answer within minutes.

nav alone makes me want to get this running.
Seriously. You don't even know how true this statement is yet.
I hadn't been on EQ in quite awhile so my RG level 2 had lapsed long ago. A few days ago I got back into the game on a non-TLP playing more than one character for the first time in years and was so aggravated by in game /follow that I just re-upped within a couple hours.

Other things you don't know you can't live without yet:
Lucy information on items/spells when you inspect them
The information on the map. Just wait and see
Auto Login

But to your original point. RGmercs, as others have mentioned, is very nearly plug and play. And the KissAssist .ini Library is pretty extensive at this point. While they aren't all winners, there's tons of ready made .inis to try for every class. The setup is as easy as copy and paste. Then you only need to know how to set a camp or turn on chase mode and just play. And they're both include with Level 2.

I have successfully got this up and running, few hiccups here and there. But holy shit is this awesome. Once I get a basic understanding and can remember commands this is going to be a lot of fun. Thank you all so much.

I'm going to give you another tip that isn't directly related, but also isn't obvious when you first join.

When you redcent react to someone, they receive redcents. However, so do you. You can redcent react 4 times a day, and you receive one redcent for each one. Among other things, you can use those redcents to maintain your level 2.

It's a way for them to incentivize forum activity and to allow you to reward people for good comments. You'll notice, as of this comment, you've already received 40 redcents for your post.

The best advice I ever got was to start off with a minimal set of plugins. You can have a team up and running with very few but the required ones installed. Rgmercs works great as does kissassist. Next step is to learn where the ini are for whatever you are using and to learn to alter them to your liking. I myself never learned most of the ingame commands so i always just find the ini of what i want in the folder and change it there then reload. I am sure the in game commands are probably faster. Don't change too much at once or add a ton of plugins because in my experience at first most aren't required and if you get strange behavior or a random crash the less you are using the better and easier to fix so you don't get as frustrated. It already has a learning curve so why complicate it if you don't have to. Once comfortable with that can add purchased plugins and regular plugins to customize it exactly how you want to your playstyle. Ask questions if you have to nicely (after searching the boards because there is a wealth of info there already) Finally umm if you get addicted and not be able to play without vanilla remember to not ask when the compile with be up on Wednesday or whenever there is a patch and constantly refresh the page or get a notification when it is like the rest of us you are good to go. Of course the first rule of mq is we don't talk about mq unless here because we are selfish and we want to keep spending our money on this until eq finally flops. Then maybe after too .

I'm going to give you another tip that isn't directly related, but also isn't obvious when you first join.

When you redcent react to someone, they receive redcents. However, so do you. You can redcent react 4 times a day, and you receive one redcent for each one. Among other things, you can use those redcents to maintain your level 2.

It's a way for them to incentivize forum activity and to allow you to reward people for good comments. You'll notice, as of this comment, you've already received 40 redcents for your post.
Its kind of like a circle. You have to be level 2 to give red cents but you can receive them no matter what level. They do not take away from your Red Cent wallet when you give them. And when others give you red cents for your posts then you get 10 Red Cents.

Its very easy to do since there is so much really good info in these forums. And everyone is super nice.

I've been able to complete some missions I wasnt able to before with just a base understanding of what I can do. It's been a fun day, thank you all for the advice, and heads up about how redcent works. Gonna be diving into a lot more tomorrow. Thanks again everyone!

If you just want to try MQ for FREE you can download it here from GitHub: https://github.com/macroquest/macroquest/releases
Want a powershell that does the download and extract for you: https://github.com/Zoh63392187/MQ-Updater

Very vanilla gives you the ease of use and some modifications but also you support the community at RedGuides.

Redguides makes it SUPER easy to get the latest build with all the required plugins. I spent soo much time initially because the original macroquest.org contains limited information as well as an out of date .sln solution files which interfered with building some of the plugins.

If you don't want to tinker around with all that, I will go with Red Guides VV. If you are curious, I will go for OpenVanilla instead. At the very least, the files are complete and I don't have to go fishing for it. I personally would like to update the UI for AutoLogin to make it more user friendly using C# WinsForm but that's a story for another day :)

Question - What is "Very Vanilla" exactly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back