• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - What heroic stat to focus on for Mages? (1 Viewer)

HDex if you're going for max DPS maybe because of Melee procs? I've heard some people doing this to edge out more melee procs. I personally pick a mix of HInt/HStam on my mage unless you are really good with all your mana management stuff.

I just focus on hInt personally, stam is worth what, 10khp maybe? if that... in the grand scheme of things, not much

My Mage averages 400k across a whole play session with Kiss

I just focus on hInt personally, stam is worth what, 10khp maybe? if that... in the grand scheme of things, not much

My Mage averages 400k across a whole play session with Kiss
The HP is one thing, but the 1% shielding at every tier is a _ton_ of mitigation. That's why you focus on hSTA (at least to get the tiers, every 400)

A dead mage is useless. hSta. A mage without mana is useless. hInt. Robe melee is bad, whiff, whiff, whiff. don‘t think you get procs on misses, so it’s hard advocate for hDex. hAgi, in every circumstance where you think it could be useful, the mob is coded to “strike through” (rendering all that defensive mumble swerve stuff useless)

Hmm, I seem to remember it is actually possible to proc on a miss, and before you poopoo melee on casters, you should actually check numbers. Wizard melee procs can be as much as 200-300k DPS on a burn. Though if your using MQ2 to control melee it can be bad for DPS if you don't have Stuff set correctly because MQ2 can make them move during casts. With Nights Perpetual Terror and Shaman Dicho/Dissident/Composite it's a big-time DPS increase to melee on anyone in that group. When you add Bard and or beastlord it goes up even more. To be clear the majority of DPS from any caster will be from procs because even on a burn physical melee damage from a caster is only about 20-30k DPS and that is with top-end weapons.

Really hard to parse the efficacy of having more HP or Avoidance on a caster imo, not impossible but much harder than something that increases DPS, also how would you accurately measure which benefits you more? Also, this would require a full set of each type of augs which is beyond impractical.

Actually, while they are lower stat the TBM type 5s are so easy to get it wouldn't be too impractival to get sets of different stats augs to test. It will still give you an idea of which stat is doing what for you if you are willing to dig that deeply into it.

Save some parsing time - if you look at all the Mages at the top of the serverwide Magelo rankings, all of them are stacking hInt :shrug:

That's ranking by mana, of course they would be stacking hINT. That's all that says.

EDIT: if you do go the parsing route, be sure to get long-term numbers that take into account uptime (in addition to burst DPS).

OK, let's look at Realm of Insanity Mages then... They have 2 decked out Mages, one stacks int the other stacks sta. The difference is 4khps in return for losing 20k mana

I get folk looking at shielding, but come on, they're wearing a dress... Shielding stacks up when you get hit a lot, not an occasional swipe

My strong view is that heroics are ‘articles of faith’. We have 2 main warriors in our guild, one on hSta and one on hDex. Both completely substitutable. I don’t think the clerics can tell the difference between a hDex warrior and a hSta warrior. Mine can’t.

I get that you find out if a teabag is any good, only by putting it in hot water, but coming up with a statistically valid amount of edge/ threshold cases is massively difficult. Like Professor Sancus level difficult.

Pick what makes you h-h-h-happy.

OK, let's look at Realm of Insanity Mages then... They have 2 decked out Mages, one stacks int the other stacks sta. The difference is 4khps in return for losing 20k mana

I get folk looking at shielding, but come on, they're wearing a dress... Shielding stacks up when you get hit a lot, not an occasional swipe

Again, it's not about HP with hSTA, it's about _shielding_ -- also, the spell damage secondary stat has been shown to be largely worthless. So as far as the secondary stats go, hSTA provides something with a huge tangible bonus (1% damage reduction is a _ton_), whereas hINT does not (you can simply do the math on it, it's not very good at all). I can see the point of losing 20k mana, but how many spell casts is that? 4-5? factor in all of the mana return tools you have, it's just not that important.

If you're taking melee hits so often on a Mage, that shielding actually makes a difference, something is very wrong

Sheilding is for tanks, not dresses

Actually, let's do the math! I love math. The formula for spell damage (taken from wikia) is:
INI:
(Cast_Time + Recast_Time) / 7 * Spell_Damage = bonus damage per hit of spell
now look at the current gen spear for mages, it has a base cast of 3.5 and a base recast of 9 (pick spear because it will have the _most_ bonus due to the formula, this is the best that spell damage will do). And the top spell damage in RoI is 3576. Alright, simple math:
(3.5+9) / 7 = 1.79 -- 1.79 * 3576 = 6386. That's 6386 extra damage (because this is only added to the _final_ damage number) every 12.5 seconds. I'd take the ability to survive a hit over _literally_ negligible increase in DPS.

There are 2 problems with spell damage: it scales with recast time, which means it's DPS addition scales _inversely_, and its damage isn't added to the base damage, _but the final damage_. It's so close to worthless that they shouldn't have even added it.

And yeah, what Hylander said is very true. People in raiding guilds just kind of stack what they think they should based on their class, I've seen it first hand. Just because someone in RoI is doing it doesn't mean it's correct.

Very few raid encounters today don’t have wild rampage. And very few squishes do dps after an ae hits and wild ramp follows it up.

In the group game, hDEX and hAGI provide essentially the same amount of extra mitigation, so I like hDEX because the extra ripostes are really nice (both should provide more than 1% mitigation per 400 stat, which beats hSTA). hAGI is supposedly worth it for the raid game since it increases actual AC but I don't raid as a tank so I can't confirm or deny that.

There are some parses for this from early on in the heroic stat era, somewhere on the EQ forums, and I think it's been linked here before.

More raid tanks are making the switch from hAgi to hDex ... that includes warriors and sk's for sure. I'm not certain what pallies are doing these days since I've never played one.

Question - What heroic stat to focus on for Mages?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back